Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

11 players defend. The idea that a centre back can't play in one of either a 2 or a 3 is as daft as the idea that a striker can't play as a lone 9. 

If the team are well drilled and we've got the right shape, particularly in the midfield, he'll be fine. Especially in the Championship. 

..there was a post on FT where someone stated that John Terry (if I recall) struggled to play effectively when taken out of his usual position!!!

As professional players you can play the slightly adjusted role, but not to the standard of your usual position. If you compare Vardy as a "lone striker" to say, Andy Carrol, one plays on the shoulder of the last man, has a great turn of speed and has great movement. The other is very much used as a target man, asked to hold the ball up for others to join and so link the play. They are both playing as lone strikers but with a totally different skill set. Vardy is not going to hold the ball up and wait for support while Carrol neither has the pace or movement to outwit a backline.

Depending on what you need, certain players are not as effective in the role you choose to put them in.

16 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Why does pep get all the credit though? All of these players have played under multiple good managers in their career! 

Because he is a genius and probably been the greatest manager of all time and had a wider impact than just winning trophies!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...wasn't it Cruyff who turned the game on its head!!!

He was undoubtedly one of the major influences in his era but its quite remarkable the way Pep has changed football and whilst he has managed at elite clubs with elite resources the amount of talent he has developed and inspired is incredible. Be it players or managers he has inspired so many.......just a personal view but in terms of getting credit for the managers that BlueArmy refers to - i think it is quite clear why he gets the credit.

He will undoubtedly will be remembered by many for inspiring generations of players, managers and fans alike! Here is hoping that just a fraction has rubbed off on Enzo

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

He was undoubtedly one of the major influences in his era but its quite remarkable the way Pep has changed football and whilst he has managed at elite clubs with elite resources the amount of talent he has developed and inspired is incredible. Be it players or managers he has inspired so many.......just a personal view but in terms of getting credit for the managers that BlueArmy refers to - i think it is quite clear why he gets the credit.

He will undoubtedly will be remembered by many for inspiring generations of players, managers and fans alike! Here is hoping that just a fraction has rubbed off on Enzo

Cruyff gave Guardiola his debut at Barc, Pep often talks about him as a mentor and based much of his philosophy on Johan's 

He even has a photograph of Cruyff on the wall in the manager’s office at the Etihad Stadium.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Why does pep get all the credit though? All of these players have played under multiple good managers in their career! 

Maresca has played for Carlo Ancelotti, Marcelo Lippi, Juande Ramos, Manuel Pellegrini, Sinisa Mihajlovic. 

Pellegrini managed him at Malaga when they were good and was impressed enough with him as a player to take him on as his assistant at West Ham. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Koke said:

Cesc Fabregas played under Wenger, Pep, Mourinho and Conte. With the amount of information he got from all those elite coaches, you'd think he'd be a ready made world class coach/manager. But strangely football is the only industry where it doesn't work like that. If you worked under the 4 best engineers of the last 30 years, you'd probably be in the top 1% in your field.

The flaw in this logic is that going from a player to a manager is a move to a completely different occupation; going from a trainee engineer to an engineer is a natural progression in the same job.

29 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

How do you pronounce Maresca? Don’t want to embarrass myself if I meet a fellow fan.

In leicester, i suspect it'll end up as M'reskuh.

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Maresca has played for Carlo Ancelotti, Marcelo Lippi, Juande Ramos, Manuel Pellegrini, Sinisa Mihajlovic. 

Pellegrini managed him at Malaga when they were good and was impressed enough with him as a player to take him on as his assistant at West Ham. 

Exactly, don’t get me wrong Pep is one of the greatest of all time, no denying that. But to say all these ex players/coaches that are now managing are successful because they spent some time under him is very harsh on the other great managers they’ve played for or coached with.

I know we haven’t even kicked a ball yet… but thank god we didn’t settle for Smith. Two solid signings already, along with some exciting young talent being linked. It really feels like a fresh start and an excitement is growing. I don’t think there would be any excitement had we gone down the Smith/Parker route. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Exactly, don’t get me wrong Pep is one of the greatest of all time, no denying that. But to say all these ex players/coaches that are now managing are successful because they spent some time under him is very harsh on the other great managers they’ve played for or coached with.

Arteta looked as if he'd been assistant coach at Spurs for years after a superb piece of bottling in the last 10 games of last season! 

THFC would have been proud of that 😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Leicfraulein said:

How much do you think he'll make? Pep's (and Johan's) belief was to earn at least +1 than the best paid payer...not sure here will work the same

:welcome:

King Power pay managers very well. Rodgers was on a ridiculous wage but Maresca won't be on anything like that, at least whilst in the Championship. 

• Like 1