Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Mee-9

Enzo Maresca New Leicester Manager

53 minutes ago, Babylon said:

That’s just nonsense, their scouts will all get picked off, they already lost their DOF who set it all up. There is a good reason no team EVER sustains it.

I never said they would sustain it did I? My point is they are less likely to change their entire recruitment model. Your point would make sense, but doesn't their statergy much like with Brentford come from the ownership. I imagine clubs who operate this way are just as prepared for staff departures as they are player ones. It's not pure luck through hiring good scouts etc that both Brighton and Union SG have excelled.

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I never said they would sustain it did I? My point is they are less likely to change their entire recruitment model. Your point would make sense, but doesn't their statergy much like with Brentford come from the ownership. I imagine clubs who operate this way are just as prepared for staff departures as they are player ones. It's not pure luck through hiring good scouts etc that both Brighton and Union SG have excelled.

You’re intimating they won’t get it wrong, they will. Their strategy came mostly from the guy who went to Newcastle.

We didn’t stray from our recruitment model either. We’ve always signed a mixture of young and old players. 

We just lost all of our best scouts, others caught up with our style of selection and we couldn’t keep signing diamonds.

They will flop eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You’re intimating they won’t get it wrong, they will. Their strategy came mostly from the guy who went to Newcastle.

We didn’t stray from our recruitment model either. We’ve always signed a mixture of young and old players. 

We just lost all of our best scouts, others caught up with our style of selection and we couldn’t keep signing diamonds.

They will flop eventually.

They use the moneyball model, which as far as I'm aware comes very much from their owner. Which would probably explain how Union SG have also had success. I mean not selling the usual one big player in 21/22 was a pretty big change to our usual method.

No doubt the individuals involved in implementing the method at Brighton are important, but they seem switched on enough to plan ahead for the inevitability of those members of staff moving on.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

13 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

They use the moneyball model, which as far as I'm aware comes very much from their owner. Which would probably explain how Union SG have also had success. I mean not selling the usual one big player in 21/22 was a pretty big change to our usual method.

No doubt the individuals involved in implementing the method at Brighton are important, but they seem switched on enough to plan ahead for the inevitability of those members of staff moving on.

It didn't stop us from spending, we just bought badly. We did so well originally as we were ahead of the curve in terms of data as we created our own system. Then it became readily available for all. Brighton similarly relies on data and is ahead of the curve, but as with all these things the others will spot it and do similar. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

It didn't stop us from spending, we just bought badly. We did so well originally as we were ahead of the curve in terms of data as we created our own system. Then it became readily available for all. Brighton similarly relies on data and is ahead of the curve, but as with all these things the others will spot it and do similar. 

Which in turn stopped us spending the following summer didn't it? Moneyball has been around for ages though, so it's not as if Brighton and other sides doing it are doing anything not already well known. No doubt there's a risk it could go tits up at some point, but having an owner who's pushing the model rather than it being the brainchild of their Head of Recruitment for example who may leave, will at least help them have some consistency.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KingsX said:

The idea that Brighton’s is just some easily duplicated, data-driven Moneyball approach is far too simplistic.  Their success also has to do with the (South American) markets they shop in, and the contacts and reputation they have built up over years there.

They have many well-connected scouts and they understand the culture, including who influences young players and “owns” their agency.  Not only Paul Winstanley (now at Chelsea), but also their CEO have spent considerable time there and established personal networks.

While advantages in data-driven scouting are inevitably copied, there are few European clubs with Brighton’s money to spend who are intensively working the secondary leagues in Argentina or Uruguay.

Brighton’s approach won’t inevitably stop working just because Southampton and LCFC hit the buffers.  Hell, part of the reason we fell away is that Rodgers detonated our approach from the day he arrived.

Do you think Winstanley will be as effective reporting to Todd ****ing Boehly and the CFC bureaucracy as he was at BHA?  I don’t.  As long as some mega-rich clubs are wired to throw their endless money against the wall, rather than work intelligently, there will be room for disruptors.

Brighton's genius comes from the very top. I don't think ours or Southampton's did. That's why I'd bet anybody they'll sustain what they're doing.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if any Prem team might look at him once the merry go round starts? He's ambitious so I doubt he'd leave for the lower mid end fodder but if a bigger club came calling who knows. Except chelsea, I don't think anyone could sort them out! 

7 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

I'm wondering if any Prem team might look at him once the merry go round starts? He's ambitious so I doubt he'd leave for the lower mid end fodder but if a bigger club came calling who knows. Except chelsea, I don't think anyone could sort them out! 

I doubt he will make a move to someone as a firefighter, seems to intelligent and switched on for that.

No big club will come call whilst he is unproven in the PL.

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

I doubt he will make a move to someone as a firefighter, seems to intelligent and switched on for that.

No big club will come call whilst he is unproven in the PL.

His style is very similar to De Zerbi, who he’s also said he’s good friends with. If De Zerbi moved on somewhere else I wouldn’t be surprised if they came in for him. It wouldn’t disrupt their team a lot and not too expensive for them either.

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

His style is very similar to De Zerbi, who he’s also said he’s good friends with. If De Zerbi moved on somewhere else I wouldn’t be surprised if they came in for him. It wouldn’t disrupt their team a lot and not too expensive for them either.

Brighton would be a good fit, but unlikely De Zerbi moves on unless one of the big 6 jobs comes up.

16 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

...curb Boehly's involvement and you will be more than half way there!!!

There problems will continue to exist, so long as he continues his influence on the club.

Imagine Maresca walks into that club, he would immediately get the respect and attention of the players. The whole culture would change overnight. When you introduce a no nonsense leader into an environment things change, and so do results.

• 4 months later...