Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc043

They never played for us

On 18/06/2023 at 22:50, Kopfkino said:

I was going to say Lars Hirschfeld 

Turns out he played once for us against Plymouth. Kept a clean sheet apparently, gerrimin 

Last game of the season at Home Park in May 2005, which I had the pleasure of being at, 0-0 indeed! Dion Dublin's last game for us too I think....

Edited by Guy

16 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

Didn’t he kick every goal kick out of play😂

Well your memory is better than mine as all I remember about him is he was in that mediocre-poor "Team Levein", his distinctive name and the fact that the only game he played for us away at Plymouth, was one I so happened to be at! It sounds like he wasn't given much of a chance but maybe that was for the reason you observed, lol! Was the other keeper who hardly played called Robert Ziegler or something similar in Ranieri's "after the Lord Mayor's Show!" second season? Ironically one of the only times he played was at the Swansea home game I attended that season and boy, he was lousy. I think his goal kicks and general distribution were dire as well! He was obviously just cover for an injured Schmeichel shortly before Danny  Ward was signed . We've always prided ourselves on having good keepers over the years (Banks, Shilton, Wallington, Schmeichel, etc) but there have certainly been some duds in there too, not least Danny Ward! 

Edited by Guy

20 hours ago, Guy said:

Last game of the season at Home Park in May 2005, which I had the pleasure of being at, 0-0 indeed! Dion Dublin's last game for us too I think....

Sure he played until the following January. Once Levein left he wasn’t happy, left by mutual consent and joined Celtic for the remainder of the season.

26 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Sure he played until the following January. Once Levein left he wasn’t happy, left by mutual consent and joined Celtic for the remainder of the season.

According to his Wikipedia he only played that one game for us away in the final "nothing" game of the 2004/05 season in 2005 at Plymouth and to be honest I don't remember him featuring at all the following season, even though with living in Devon at that time also, I didn't get along to many games up there around that period at all! Maybe he stayed without playing until the time Levein was sacked the following January though as you say.....ironically after the rearranged following season's away game at Plymouth! 

5 minutes ago, Guy said:

According to his Wikipedia he only played that one game for us away in the final "nothing" game of the 2004/05 season in 2005 at Plymouth and to be honest I don't remember him featuring at all the following season, even though with living in Devon at that time also, I didn't get along to many games up there around that period at all! Maybe he stayed without playing until the time Levein was sacked the following January though as you say.....ironically after the rearranged following season's away game at Plymouth! 

I would have been 10 at the time he left us, remember him leaving in the January 2006 and not quite understanding why Celtic would be signing Leicester knock-offs, having signed Douglas and Sylla ourselves. Have a feeling he thought he would have a chance of getting the Leicester job and that’s why he left, when that didn’t happen.

Edited by westernpark
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guy said:

Also believe Kelly was sacked the season after, following a Plymouth loss!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, westernpark said:

I would have been 10 at the time he left us, remember him leaving in the January 2006 and not quite understanding why Celtic would be signing Leicester knock-offs, having signed Douglas and Sylla ourselves. Have a feeling he thought he would have a chance of getting the Leicester job and that’s why he left, when that didn’t happen.

Wow, that's admirably advanced 'wondering why' thoughts for a 10 year old! Maybe you're right in so far as his hanging around the following season was concerned and waiting in the wings under Levein for the time Rab Douglas and 'the Aussie' Paul Henderson became injured or if either of their form dropped but then he became (even more) surplus to requirements once Levein had been sacked.  What I do remember clearly at the time though was that I was 37, not 10! I also remember that they were barren times and I hope we aren't headed for more of the same in the Championship next season!

Edited by Guy
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Guy said:

Wow, that's admirably advanced 'wondering why' thoughts for a 10 year old! Maybe you're right in so far as his hanging around the following season was concerned and waiting in the wings under Levein for the time Rab Douglas and 'the Aussie' Paul Henderson became injured or if either of their form dropped but then he became (even more) surplus to requirements once Levein had been sacked.  What I do remember clearly at the time though was that I was 37, not 10! I also remember that they were barren times and I hope we aren't headed for more of the same in the Championship next season!

Yes they weren’t that advanced, it was just that I couldn’t  understand a team signing our poorer players! Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen(ie a number of years in the championship), although I look back on those years more fondly than maybe someone of your age did. That perspective is completely clouded by the naivety of not fully understanding the situation at the time, and only remembering the good bits!

Edited by westernpark
Clarification
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, westernpark said:

Also believe Kelly was sacked the season after, following a Plymouth loss!

Indeed he was! Strange to think that they had Holloway in the opposite dug out at the time to Rob Kelly! - or Ian 'Hollowords' as they ended up calling him at Plymouth after his defection to us for that ill fated time of it for him to follow - and of course for us! As I live in Plymouth (since 2005), then I was there for that shit show as well - a 3.0 defeat, we were shocking but we never travelled well to Home Park! Then at least we drew the next two against them there in 2007 and 2010 (Championship), before their 13 years' long exhile in the leagues below. I've also never witnessed one of our players score there as the games I saw consisted of two goalless draws, two defeats where we didn't score and most recently a 1.1 draw in which they scored a wordly own goal for us! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Yes they weren’t that advanced, it was just that I couldn’t  understand a team signing our poorer players! Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen(ie a number of years in the championship), although I look back on those years more fondly than maybe someone of your age did. That perspective is completely clouded by the naivety of not fully understanding the situation at the time, and only remembering the good bits!

Well said! Yes, I suppose I'd have loved it all at that age too mind - not just the good bits but the whole going to and following football shebang by just going along to some of the games at that age but I didn't really start properly going to football matches rfegularly until I was about 17 back in the mid 80s. I was also spoiled by the moderately successful Brian Little Championship era (play off finals galore every year!) and then the much more successful Martin O'Neill era in the then "Premiership" that had preceded the dire Championship years, albeit after Micky Adams gave us some hope for a brief time of course after the Peter Taylor shitshow!. Along with the latter part of the David Pleat years in the v.early 90s then the 2004-2008 period was probably the lowest ebb at the club in my time of following them though before Messiah N.Pearson came along to the rescue!

Edited by Guy

14 hours ago, Guy said:

Well said! Yes, I suppose I'd have loved it all at that age too mind - not just the good bits but the whole going to and following football shebang by just going along to some of the games at that age but I didn't really start properly going to football matches rfegularly until I was about 17 back in the mid 80s. I was also spoiled by the moderately successful Brian Little Championship era (play off finals galore every year!) and then the much more successful Martin O'Neill era in the then "Premiership" that had preceded the dire Championship years, albeit after Micky Adams gave us some hope for a brief time of course after the Peter Taylor shitshow!. Along with the latter part of the David Pleat years in the v.early 90s then the 2004-2008 period was probably the lowest ebb at the club in my time of following them though before Messiah N.Pearson came along to the rescue!

Is funny what people can remember about the same periods! I suppose 2004-2008 is comparable to the Pleat eras, if looked at properly. I’d have loved to remember the 90s, as Pearson gave me a team that I could be proud of, and you felt like we’re giving there all in the shirt!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, westernpark said:

Is funny what people can remember about the same periods! I suppose 2004-2008 is comparable to the Pleat eras, if looked at properly. I’d have loved to remember the 90s, as Pearson gave me a team that I could be proud of, and you felt like we’re giving there all in the shirt!

Yes, the O'Neill era of the mid-late 90s and 2000 (before P.Taylor) was arguably the equivalent to Big Nige's two spells with us, albeit mostly spent in the Premier under O'Neill, whereas with Pearson we had just the one of course before his untimely sacking. However whatever the era comparisons/parallels, then obviously absolutely nothing in our history can compare to the Ranieri "one season wonder season" that nobody saw coming when we did the unthinkable. It'll never happen that way again now, period! Strange that the lamentabl;e 2004-2008 indirectly lead to all that and having Big Nige come in at the end of it all! 

20 hours ago, Guy said:

You've managed to get your wires crossed. Hirshfeld left that summer and went to Norway, Dublin stayed until Jan 2006 then went to Celtic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

You've managed to get your wires crossed. Hirshfeld left that summer and went to Norway, Dublin stayed until Jan 2006 then went to Celtic.

I did think as much re Hirschfeld but was going by Western Park's thoughts who now seemingly got his wires a wee bit crossed on that one! As for Dublin then I don't personally remember him ever featuring in any of the 2005-06 side under Levein as it was more about Donkey De Vries of course, I only really remember Dublin from the season before (his only full one with us) and I was convinced that away game at Plymouth in the May was his final one in a Foxes' shirt - that's unless he maybe was injured for a fair chunk of the following season and so didn't feature much up until leaving for Celtic. Obv. I haven't used 'WIki' to check that one out myself! 

41 minutes ago, Guy said:

I did think as much re Hirschfeld but was going by Western Park's thoughts who now seemingly got his wires a wee bit crossed on that one! As for Dublin then I don't personally remember him ever featuring in any of the 2005-06 side under Levein as it was more about Donkey De Vries of course, I only really remember Dublin from the season before (his only full one with us) and I was convinced that away game at Plymouth in the May was his final one in a Foxes' shirt - that's unless he maybe was injured for a fair chunk of the following season and so didn't feature much up until leaving for Celtic. Obv. I haven't used 'WIki' to check that one out myself! 

He was playing centre back for a big chunk of the first half of the 05/06 season

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

He was playing centre back for a big chunk of the first half of the 05/06 season

Yeah, so I saw on 'Wiki' afterwards! You can probably tell I didn't get to many games that season in person to have observed and then memorised such things! think he kind of got demoted to that position from what I read though....

On 24/06/2023 at 03:21, Guy said:

Yeah, so I saw on 'Wiki' afterwards! You can probably tell I didn't get to many games that season in person to have observed and then memorised such things! think he kind of got demoted to that position from what I read though....

When he did the Crossbar Challenge on Soccer AM, he introduced him as being a "centre forward/centre half, I play where I'm told" with not a whole lot of joy, so that might check out.

• Like 1