Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Wilfred Ndidi

8 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

To be fair to Wilf over the last 2 years he's had a few injuries that have kept him out of the side and when fully fit Rodgers still picked Soumare over him at times and then he was part of a side that was poor all over the park last season.

Doing what he's best at, he's still one of the best around I'm just not sure where a good old fashioned "destroyer" fits into most systems in the top leagues anymore. Sit him in front of a back 4 in a 4141 and he's excellent and will continue to be so. Ask him to pass the ball more than 10 yards and then you start to come unstuck. Certainly in our current set up, and is most teams that will look to dominate possession, he seems to be a waste of a pick in the 11. 

Opposition teams that like to pass their opponents to death will just pass around him so he only ever really becomes effective against teams that like to try and dictate play through a No10, where he can pick the player up, disrupt runs and nick the ball of a players toe.

It'll be sad to see him go, forgetting the last couple of seasons, we'll have fondish memories of him, but he's just not technically good enough to fit anymore

I think people largely overlook that he was worked out by players who were good at pressing. Even if he intercepts, you just need to put him under pressure and he doesn't have the skills to deal with it. It wasn't all about his injurys or Rodgers trying to change him.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ForestAreMagic said:

we wouldn’t be that stupid. He’s even worse than our 3rd choice Hennessey.

Ndidi might work for us. If anyone can get him back to where he was it’s Cooper.  I know Iheanacho and Taiwo are big mates; Ndidi might be good friends with them both by the sound of it.

Seems worth a punt 

download.jpg.322c7dbe30fafe26d8c5b616773db173.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I wonder if this will increase the chance of nacho leaving. Wilf is a big reason nacho likes being here.  

If a good opportunity comes knocking wouldn’t surprise me if he asks to leave 

Bloody hell, if Nacho is that fickle then get him gone too, especially as he has 1 year left on his deal. If he's only here because his mate is then his work life became that little bit too comfortable for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I wonder if this will increase the chance of nacho leaving. Wilf is a big reason nacho likes being here.  

I sort of understand what you are saying. But unless Nacho goes to Forest along with Wilf, then his association with Wilf will still end. Unless you mean, Wilf's the only reason to stay here and if he goes, there's nothing stopping him from moving away.

9 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

He’s 15 miles down the road, not in Jeddah.

• Haha 4

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Bloody hell, if Nacho is that fickle then get him gone too, especially as he has 1 year left on his deal. If he's only here because his mate is then his work life became that little bit too comfortable for him.

not necessarily but could be the last straw on the camels back. 

They are humans at the end of the day, club culture is important for players and you can see that wilf is an important person for him. Would perhaps have just been another reason for him to stay. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Do love the way forest fans think Cooper is some insane man manager. He's spent about a billion since they've been in the prem and they're one of the ugliest sides I've ever seen. It's hoof ball with kick and run.

Phenomenal player for us, but for whatever reason he's stagnated and regressed here in the last 2 seasons. I think a fresh start and if he can stay injury free then there's no doubt a very capable PL player and this deal may well suit both parties.

Get it done, plus a few others out and let's see what we can get in by thr end of Friday. I do think we'll need a CM, CB and possibly a striker (with the Sporting lad as good as done too)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Do love the way forest fans think Cooper is some insane man manager. He's spent about a billion since they've been in the prem and they're one of the ugliest sides I've ever seen. It's hoof ball with kick and run.

With seemingly no transfer strategy other than to buy anyone who's willing go come. That probably accounts for their lack of quality on the ball. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daveb5569 said:

I know he has not been at his best but I would only let him go if we have a replacement ready to be signed. with Nacho also on his way out we will be very thin on the ground unless we are bringing in at least four players 

Is Kel on his way out? 

I’ve not seen any concrete links and now looks as if Everton have sorted something else. Have I missed something? 

52 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I think as a fan base we need to learn or accept players leaving much better. Especially those with one year left on their contracts. On one hand we complain about big contracts and players running them down, but then we don’t want to accept offers for Ndidi. Forest are doing us a favour here, and it really is time for him to move on. 

I said nice things about him last night, but he has been really poor the last 2 seasons. It’s great he’s offered to play this different role but it’s clearly not something that’s going to make him a long term starter. 

I've no ill will towards him. I disagree with alot of people and think he still has alot to offer us. So on that basis I would keep him.

37 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

To be fair to Wilf over the last 2 years he's had a few injuries that have kept him out of the side and when fully fit Rodgers still picked Soumare over him at times and then he was part of a side that was poor all over the park last season.

Doing what he's best at, he's still one of the best around I'm just not sure where a good old fashioned "destroyer" fits into most systems in the top leagues anymore. Sit him in front of a back 4 in a 4141 and he's excellent and will continue to be so. Ask him to pass the ball more than 10 yards and then you start to come unstuck. Certainly in our current set up, and is most teams that will look to dominate possession, he seems to be a waste of a pick in the 11. 

Opposition teams that like to pass their opponents to death will just pass around him so he only ever really becomes effective against teams that like to try and dictate play through a No10, where he can pick the player up, disrupt runs and nick the ball of a players toe.

It'll be sad to see him go, forgetting the last couple of seasons, we'll have fondish memories of him, but he's just not technically good enough to fit anymore

The thing is that most teams play with a possession based style, and those who try to dictate play through a No. 10 will likely have a shit hot player doing exactly that who'll most likely have too much for a declining Ndidi.

A major criticism of Rodgers was that he stuck dogmatically to one style of football come hell or high water, but Ndidi looked world class in that style for the first two years. He looked absolutely woeful from 2020-2021 onwards despite no change in style from Rodgers, and you have to start asking questions as to when poor form has begun to turn into an irreversible decline. I would say two years is probably some way past that point, and I would be surprised to see Ndidi enjoy a renaissance at Forest - especially surrounded by players with nothing like the ability of Tielemans, Maddison and Barnes as he had here.

The game has developed to the detriment of wilf’s skill set. 
it’s become fashionable for the holding player to also be a technical pivot - some of this down to the emergence of the  Kante role where the defensive midfielder isn’t just a destroyer who gives the ball to others to do the forward stuff.  Having a player who just breaks up play and can’t take the ball off the back four or transition forwards is effectively losing a player. 

there are still some teams that play a more traditional way and wilf would be a big asset at one of these. It’s possible that forest will fit that and he’ll excel there in his natural role. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I've no ill will towards him. I disagree with alot of people and think he still has alot to offer us. So on that basis I would keep him.

That’s fair enough. But from my position it’s mad to hold on to someone on inflated wages with one year left when they aren’t going to be first choice. The old Ndidi role doesn’t exist anymore in this team. We don’t even know if he want to do this new role long term, especially as he won’t play that much. 

I get why holding on to key players might be a necessity, and although I’m massively on the fence about Nacho I’m willing to accept we currently have no other viable options. That’s not the case for Ndidi. 

• Like 3

If they can return him to the player he was 2-3 years ago, they’ve got a bargain.

He will never be that player again for us, so it’s a great deal.

Good luck to him, he has his flaws but I don’t think he ever downed tools. Will remember his and kelechi’s videos fondly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Well, the report suggests that this isn't yet a done deal. I'm naively hoping it isn't a fait accompli

It only takes a 'no' from Maresca or Dof and forest can go whistle.  

We can't keep losing players for free, with a year left, 10m - 15m is a no brain.

• Like 4

European giants Bayern Munich are weighing up a loan bid for Leicester City’s star midfielder Wilfred Ndidi, according to German outlet Kicker.

Ndidi moved to the King Power Stadium from Belgian side Genk in January 2017 for £17 million and became an integral part of one of the most successful periods in the club’s recent history.

Nottingham Forest ‘close’ to completing Wilfred Ndidi transfer as player stance outlined

The latest Nottingham Forest transfer news as the Leicester City midfielder looks to be closing in on a move to the City Ground.