Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Conor Coady

56 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Why won't he be good enough if we go up? He was in the england squad less than a year ago, its hardly like he's became garbage over night.

a 35 year old Tim Ream has done a decent job in the Prem this year, hardly think a 31 year old Coady will be past it

Both Everton and Wolves have said no thanks is the flip side.

Lets just hope their judgement is similar to Stoke's in 2015 - that was a monumentally bad move from them.

Edited by Dan LCFC

23 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I get it. We supporters all want us to succeed. 

But there's a lack of critical thinking amongst the fan base. Coady or Winks in isolation are perhaps doable. But we have a sample size of 2 incoming players - currently 100% of our activity -  both on monster wages, both fairly predictable (suggesting a lack of invention and innovation in the scouting) and both with zero resale value. 

The Swansea lad. The PSG lad both suggest a more progressive approach. But until Winks and Coady are counter balanced with those kinda signings, I'll remain highly concerned 

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Possibly so, but there's doubts they're actually PL quality any longer, I know had we still been in the PL for example and any of these came in I'd not see it as an improvement. If they were still our most important 1st team players if we do return quickly then I suspect we won't be there for long again either, but that's a separate point.

Our rebuild has to be be gotten right. I most definitely don't know what is the right way, none of us do. However, the attitude and desire of the players has to be a stark transformation to the malaise of the last few years. Signing experienced PL players stepping down represents more of a risk than is often said. The main reason being one of motivation and attitude, we've seen a multitude of players who don't care or necessarily want to be here, but do so for the generous wages we pay. This rebuild needs to be a blend of dynamic young players who have the potential to improve immensely and experienced players with the hunger to achieve, but we also need to completely change the financial operation of our club.

Its that reason I have the most concerns about signing perceived PL quality experienced players, they're not coming here out the goodness of their own hearts. We'll pay big wages for Championship standards and put pressure on our finances, this represents a huge risk that I think isn't worth it. In the same manner of the argument we needed an experienced new manager with promotion from the Championship under his belt, as opposed to an unproven young manager with potential, I do think we need to be clever in our rebuild. We shouldn't be afraid to focus on Championship experience as opposed to just assuming PL players on the decline are better equipped for us. We've failed with that before, see Micky Adams in 2004 or Sven in 2010/11.

There's been loads of players from the PL drop down and be quite poor/not worth the salaries they command. I suspect West Brom would say that of Marc Albrighton last year for one.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the collective approach than the individuals. Coady has some qualities that could well be an asset to us, I just hope the club get it right because if they don't we could be in for prolonged pain we've not felt for many a year.

I understand your fear about overpaying these players because of their track record, and certainly they'll probably be in the top bracket of salaries, but until that is made known it's perhaps a groundless worry, there's no precedent for us overpaying payers in the EFL.  

I'd like to think that Coady wouldn't have dropped down if he didn't see it as a good career move (regardless of his salary) - he probably still feels he is an england player, or has a chance of continuing to be one, so it would stand to reason that he wouldn't be coming just for a pay packet - if that was his M.O. surely he could have walked into any saudi team?  And Winks must feel coming here would be a good chance for him to prove he wasn't just a flash in the pan.  

The hangover of relegation has hit you hard, sir - i feel like there is scope to be optimistic, even though it seems every fibre in your body remains annihilated :(

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Anyone using Everton and Wolves not playing him sort of miss the point. 

First and foremost they are premier league teams, we are not.

Secondly, Everton have a massively limited budget this year and already have loads of CB’s on the books. Their own fans, despite most stating clearly he was better than all but two of their centre backs, realise that their budget can’t afford him considering what they have on the books…. It’s not based around his ability. 

The wolves fans on here have said how much he was liked and his falling out of favour happened after a manager change. Prior to that he was making England teams. 

I know a number of Everton fans and they are all saying the same thing. I am told he is good leader which is something hugely lacking in the current squad. 

Edited by Philkeavo
  • Like 1

No, we all get it… most of us have big boy pants on though and manage to control our emotions and moaning until we’ve actually completed our activity. 

Reading through the other pages on here I wouldn't be too sure about that.

• Like 2

Anyone using Everton and Wolves not playing him sort of miss the point. 

First and foremost they are premier league teams, we are not.

Secondly, Everton have a massively limited budget this year and already have loads of CB’s on the books. Their own fans, despite most stating clearly he was better than all but two of their centre backs, realise that their budget can’t afford him considering what they have on the books…. It’s not based around his ability. 

The wolves fans on here have said how much he was liked and his falling out of favour happened after a manager change. Prior to that he was making England teams. 

And not every signing is going to be £7-10 million. We'll balance this out with cheaper signings and frees/ loans.

This, in a way, might tempt others to look at us if we can tempt decent Premier League players to join.

I get the issue around the fees and wages but, to be honest, I don't think this window would be perfect whichever direction we went in.

• Like 1

Just now, trugerkem said:

More than happy with Coady …. I’m a bit meh about Winks … could be disastrous could be genius…. Probably somewhere in between is my guess…. 

as others have said, he is basically a better version of Matty James. Works hard and recycles the ball well and keeps things ticking over. 

It was the role Mendy played for us in his handful of appearances, and actually was far more effective than N'didi, Tielemans and KDH last season. 

I get that it is a bland signing for many, but he is 27, finally had the surgery on his ankle, and obviously wants to come here, hence the speed of the deal. 

If we sign some more exciting attacking players to play alongside him, then this could be exactly the type of player that we need. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

If he passes the medical you are signing a true leader both on and off the pitch. He’ll talk about what a privilege it is to play for Leicester, your recent successful history, how special the atmosphere is at the King Power and how important it will be to get the fans on side after the relegation. Take a look at the comments of the younger members of the England squad and how impressed they are with his mentality and dressing room presence. 
Even though the last 12 months didn’t work out at Wolves/Everton as he’d probably have wished he’ll still go down as a playing a pivotal part of transforming us (Wolves) from being perennial championship also rans to a semi established premier league club. From being a below average midfielder, Nuno turned him into a rock of the back three barely missing a game in 4 seasons under him and an England international. He leaves with nothing but my best wishes and I hope that he proves any naysayers on here wrong and lead you straight back into the Premier league. 
Even though you may feel he’s a little expensive for a 30 year old, I’m admiring the speed in which your board is backing the new manager and getting a squad in place to hit the ground running. Trying to save a million here or there in purchases or gain a few million more in sales can lead to targets being missed and squads not being ready. 
Good luck for next season and I’m sure you’ll all love Coads, from the fans to every member of staff at the club. I hope that he proves to be a success for you. 

Always listen to other fans. More often than not, they are on the money.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No, we all get it… most of us have big boy pants on though and manage to control our emotions and moaning until we’ve actually completed our activity. 

Hahaha fair comment

In my eyes though this board are a disgrace until proven otherwise given what they've masterminded in the last few years. The antics of the last 24 hours shows scant difference either but I stand to be corrected.

Can't stop giggling that people think Coady and Winks are coming here on modest wages and if they aren't then it suggests more of the same. 

• Like 3

Decent signing IMO he is a leader something we desperately.need this is similar to when we signed Morgan, albeit he is dare I say an upgrade, yes he is more expensive but if he comes in and has a similar impact it will be money well spent, we have been crying out for a player of this ilk since Wes, Fuchs and Schmichael left 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahaha fair comment

In my eyes though this board are a disgrace until proven otherwise given what they've masterminded in the last few years. The antics of the last 24 hours shows scant difference either but I stand to be corrected.

Can't stop giggling that people think Coady and Winks are coming here on modest wages and if they aren't then it suggests more of the same. 

Will be irrelevant if we bounce straight back up. 

I am sure promotion chasing rivals are looking at these two deals with envy. 

More outgoings and x3 loanees from Man City plus a couple more buys from elsewhere, and we will be looking in better shape. 

11 minutes ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

If he passes the medical you are signing a true leader both on and off the pitch. He’ll talk about what a privilege it is to play for Leicester, your recent successful history, how special the atmosphere is at the King Power and how important it will be to get the fans on side after the relegation. Take a look at the comments of the younger members of the England squad and how impressed they are with his mentality and dressing room presence. 
Even though the last 12 months didn’t work out at Wolves/Everton as he’d probably have wished he’ll still go down as a playing a pivotal part of transforming us (Wolves) from being perennial championship also rans to a semi established premier league club. From being a below average midfielder, Nuno turned him into a rock of the back three barely missing a game in 4 seasons under him and an England international. He leaves with nothing but my best wishes and I hope that he proves any naysayers on here wrong and lead you straight back into the Premier league. 
Even though you may feel he’s a little expensive for a 30 year old, I’m admiring the speed in which your board is backing the new manager and getting a squad in place to hit the ground running. Trying to save a million here or there in purchases or gain a few million more in sales can lead to targets being missed and squads not being ready. 
Good luck for next season and I’m sure you’ll all love Coads, from the fans to every member of staff at the club. I hope that he proves to be a success for you. 

This sort of thing eases the fears a bit. For example you never had anything like this on Bertrand / Vestergaard.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Hmmm, Babs respect your opinion a lot but this is a forum for debate, it’s about to have disagreements. That’s the nature of it. Dismissing debate like this isn’t a good thing 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Imagine Evans trying to cope with a 46 game season 

Exactly. The Championship will be a far harder league in some ways, not least the increase in the number of games.

And how many will Evans cope with?