Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

16 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

It can at a much reduced capacity around 18k. Kasabian never reached stadium tours so it was fine for a band of their size in their home city, but the whole point of stadium tours is being the next step up from arenas. If you're playing to 18k, you might as well do it in arena that doesn't need all the preparation the KP did for that.

27,000, apparently. Seemed like more than that with the pitch covered. 

https://www.lcfc.com/news/433367/kasabian-on-fire-at-king-power-stadiums-music-concert-debut

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. why should anyone be happy with that!!!

Just being happy in mid table isn't achieving,  it is existing, what is aspirational about that?

Prior to 2016, Leicester's natural home has always been top of The Championship/bottom end of the PL.  We cannot claim to be a mid table PL side based on our history.

We had a chance to change that profile, for sustained growth into an established PL club but we chose to self destruct instead.

37 minutes ago, murphy said:

And they used to sing "You're just a small town in England" to us.

That might be true but I always thought that it was hilarious coming from that sophisticated cultural metropolis that is Coventry.  Basically just a suburb of Birmingham.

It's actually a suburb of Nuneaton/Bedworth 😄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The only reason to visit Coventry has been removed. The IKEA.

At a push I might make use of the train station but generally Nuneaton does the job.

Other than that Coventry is terrible (central anyway). Although the ring road is a great challenge if you want an adventure.

I blooming hate that ring road, it's an absolute nightmare 

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

Are you sure?

This sounds like the opinion of someone that lives just about as far away from Coventry as it is possible to be,

lol 

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Really?? There's not much nice about Coventry. I worked over in Cov for 3 years, it's dull and miserable. Even the locals are dull and miserable. I swear that every day I would get to the bottom of the M69 and a grey cloud would descend from the skies, even on the brightest of summer's days.

Being from Leicester there's not much to be proud about that state of our city, but if there's any city that we can call a s**thole then it's Coventry 

9 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Give over

We visited for a day, the cathedral and mediaeval part of town and was there some neat bridge or something...anyway, i liked it :)

9 hours ago, lcfceed said:

Iversen

Justin    Souttar     Faes

Ricardo     Ndidi     KDH     Kristensen

Barnes

Vardy      Nacho

I'd play Madders but his mind is probably elsewhere right now :dunno: and I wanna see Barnes play behind the strikers, he won't get as tired as he sometimes does outwide and thus be more available.

Didn’t realise we were under a transfer embargo. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately for Coventry, two-thirds of its buildings were destroyed during the Second World War, whereas we were quite lucky in that regard. They built a well-known shopping precinct immediately after the Second World War, which effectively shows the level of Coventry’s rebuild. Even South Highfields, which was the scene of a few nasty raids, has managed to maintain much of its architectural significance, to the point it is now a Conservation area. 
As for the stadiums, we are so lucky to have the Walkers Stadium so close to Filbert Street. In the late 1970s a move to Beaumont Leys was touted, however initial residents of the area voiced concern as to anti-social behaviour(worth remembering Beaumont Leys wasn’t initial built as a council estate). In the documents I’ve seen from 1990s, the club and council try to make sure any potential move is a close by as possible to original site, although they did reject a redevelopment of Filbert Street in 1991, because of potential impact to light in Burnmoor Street. Both stadium’s are soulless, but at least we as fans can continue a similar walk to the ground, as if we were walking to Filbert Street. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

lol 

We visited for a day, the cathedral and mediaeval part of town and was there some neat bridge or something...anyway, i liked it :)

When you’ve done the cathedrals you’ve done Coventry, absolutely soulless city apart from that.

31 minutes ago, murphy said:

Prior to 2016, Leicester's natural home has always been top of The Championship/bottom end of the PL.  We cannot claim to be a mid table PL side based on our history.

We had a chance to change that profile, for sustained growth into an established PL club but we chose to self destruct instead.

...I totally understand stand the history!!!

My response was regarding being happy to accept mid table Premier League.  I am saying no, despite our previous history,  I  aspire to be much more than that.

Would a 20 year old view us as a yo yo club, or a upper mid table Premier league club, prior to or fall into the Championship. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
Update.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Unfortunately for Coventry, two-thirds of its buildings were destroyed during the Second World War, whereas we were quite lucky in that regard. They built a well-known shopping precinct immediately after the Second World War, which effectively shows the level of Coventry’s rebuild. Even South Highfields, which was the scene of a few nasty raids, has managed to maintain much of its architectural significance, to the point it is now a Conservation area. 
As for the stadiums, we are so lucky to have the Walkers Stadium so close to Filbert Street. In the late 1970s a move to Beaumont Leys was touted, however initial residents of the area voiced concern as to anti-social behaviour(worth remembering Beaumont Leys wasn’t initial built as a council estate). In the documents I’ve seen from 1990s, the club and council try to make sure any potential move is a close by as possible to original site, although they did reject a redevelopment of Filbert Street in 1991, because of potential impact to light in Burnmoor Street. Both stadium’s are soulless, but at least we as fans can continue a similar walk to the ground, as if we were walking to Filbert Street. 

I think the soul of a stadium is not in the steel and concrete but in the moments that have happened there. Filbert Way has packed in more incredible/sad moments in the past 21 years than most have in a lifetime. I relive what we have been through everytime I go there. Not sure they can do that over in Cov. 

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

I think the soul of a stadium is not in the steel and concrete but in the moments that have happened there. Filbert Way has packed in more incredible/sad moments in the past 21 years than most have in a lifetime. I relive what we have been through everytime I go there. Not sure they can do that over in Cov. 

Yes, you’re right the soul is the intangible. Coventry moved there around 2005/2006 time I believe. They’ve not even played at that location, during every season between then and now. Of course their relationship will be different. However, our stadium is even more soulless to look at than it was when originally built. That’s because King Power have gotten their hands on it.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. why should anyone be happy with that!!!

Just being happy in mid table isn't achieving,  it is existing, what is aspirational about that?

The bitterness on here when we don't achieve is hard to stomach. In particular the singling out of individual players is often disgusting. I admit its a forum where extreme opinions often dominate but it often shows a lack of understanding about the game. We had a very successful period but for us settling back to mid table  comfort for a period would have been the much preferable outcome to the shambles we have now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Cov only fill it for every big game, once of three years. Whenever I go to Coventry, you notice that most of the people within Cov don't support the Sky Blues. They all support top six clubs. A lot of the cov fan base is the surround areas. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

1 hour ago, murphy said:

In terms of the PL - we are ranked 13th historically (based on points rather than average finish)  - pretty much as mid table as it gets

All time we are ranked 24th which is as in between as it gets....

1 hour ago, Tim1974 said:

I hate that ring road too.

I once encountered an elderly gentleman driving the wrong way down one of the exits.

The ring road is easily one of the worst bits of calamitous town planning in Europe. 

• Like 1