Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

The bitterness on here when we don't achieve is hard to stomach. In particular the singling out of individual players is often disgusting. I admit its a forum where extreme opinions often dominate but it often shows a lack of understanding about the game. We had a very successful period but for us settling back to mid table  comfort for a period would have been the much preferable outcome to the shambles we have now.

...I agree with the reaction of some of our posters and the terms they use regarding individual players!!!

Taking mid-table as compared to where we are right now in hindsight would for all, be preferable. We attempted to push for the best we could be, but we made poor decisions and the biggest one was, Rodgers being kept in his place, a complete debacle. I would take failure due to trying, than accepting mid-table aspirations.

Everton has sat in this league forever, what have they achieved? Coventry as mentioned stayed in the top tier for 30 years plus, what is the point of the game if you do not aspire to more.

You may not get there, but at least you try.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I agree with the reaction of some of our posters and the terms they use regarding individual players!!!

Taking mid-table as compared to where we are right now in hindsight would for all, be preferable. We attempted to push for the best we could be, but we made poor decisions and the biggest one was, Rodgers being kept in his place, a complete debacle. I would take failure due to trying, than accepting mid-table aspirations.

Everton has sat in this league forever, what have they achieved? Coventry as mentioned stayed in the top tier for 30 years plus, what is the point of the game if you do not aspire to more.

You may not get there, but at least you try.

Everton have achieved plenty.  8 titles I think off the top of my head and whatever you think about them, they haven't been settling for mid table, they have been pushing for years to try to break the top six, hence FFP troubles.  They haven't been very successful but I don't think that you can fault their ambition.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

Everton have achieved plenty.  8 titles I think off the top of my head and whatever you think about them, they haven't been settling for mid table, they have been pushing for years to try to break the top six, hence FFP troublesThey haven't been very successful but I don't think that you can fault their ambition.

...you can question Mr Kenwright on this!!!

The last title was won in 1987, they spent wildly when Koeman was their manager, and that is why FFP is an issue. Moyes has had them hanging around for some time from 2002 to 2013 gained a F.A. Cup runners-up medal.2008-2009.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...you can question Mr Kenwright on this!!!

The last title was won in 1987, they spent wildly when Koeman was their manager, and that is why FFP is an issue. Moyes has had them hanging around for some time from 2002 to 2013 gained a F.A. Cup runners-up medal.2008-2009.

Which isn't that different to liverpool until they got their recent title...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2023 at 23:01, OnlyOneCity said:

The poznan looks pathetic when done by anyone but the polish fans. Can’t understand why people think it’s so good. It’s ridiculous and Man City fans look stupid when they do it.

Man City fans look stupid whatever they do...

Calling the city soulless is a bit much. It was bombed to the ground in the 40s, then built up in the brutalist architecture on the backs of the wind rush generation while the country was on it knees economically, while it has some of the pretty, old medieval buildings alongside it.

I get the brutalist architecture isn’t the best to look at, but it’s certainly not soulless. The city has its character of being built at a certain time on the backs of mass tragedy and exploited people from former colonies making new lives in the uk. It’s a lot less soulless than plenty of other cities that were allowed far more resources to rebuild 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

We are playing Coventry not prime Man City, PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc.....its bloody Coventry

With a half built squad, zero creative players, and no wide players bar Albrighton. Probably jet lagged off the back off a ridiculous trip to watch a monsoon and play one game against reasonable opponents in the space of what… three weeks? 

Given we are trying to learn an entirely new system on top of this, I wouldn’t go into this expecting to dominate. A draw would legitimately be a decent result. They are a good side now, narrowly missing out on promotion, and have for the most part kept their team together and kept the same manager. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

With a half built squad, zero creative players, and no wide players bar Albrighton. Probably jet lagged off the back off a ridiculous trip to watch a monsoon and play one game against reasonable opponents in the space of what… three weeks? 

Given we are trying to learn an entirely new system on top of this, I wouldn’t go into this expecting to dominate. A draw would legitimately be a decent result. They are a good side now, narrowly missing out on promotion, and have for the most part kept their team together and kept the same manager. 

Jet lag takes a day or two at most lol 

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Jet lag takes a day or two at most lol 

If you can fully recover from jet lag across 8 times zones in a day, I’ll have what you are having? I travel regularly to/from the US as I have family there, and my sleep is disrupted for a minimum of 3 days regardless of which direction I am going, and that is 5 time zones away. Takes some people about a week, general rule of thumb is ~1 day per time zone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

If you can fully recover from jet lag across 8 times zones in a day, I’ll have what you are having? I travel regularly to/from the US as I have family there, and my sleep is disrupted for a minimum of 3 days regardless of which direction I am going, and that is 5 time zones away. Takes some people about a week, general rule of thumb is ~1 day per time zone. 

they come back Sunday don't they? a full week before the game they will be fine.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Yeah there is massive difference between travelling from America and Singapore. 

It is a lot easier to recover than flying back from America. Essential you are losing time rather than having to live the same day twice. 

And that's absolute BS about recovery time. Everyone is different. Last time I came back from Singapore ( in cattle class not first like the players will be) it didn't effect me at all. I was back at work the day after. 

Edited by goose2010

4 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Yeah there is massive difference between travelling from America and Singapore. 

It is a lot easier to recover that flying back from America. Essential you are losing time rather than having to live the same day twice. 

And that's absolute BS about recovery time. Everyone is different. Last time I came back from Singapore ( in cattle class not first like the players will be) it didn't effect me at all. I was back at work the day after. 

I’m guessing your work isn’t completely dependant on being peak physical condition? Athletic performance and sleep are highly connected, hence widespread use (and apparent abuse) of sleeping pills in sport. 

But as mentioned above if we are coming back shortly after the Liverpool game it’s not going to be an issue for the game itself. 

It frequently happens that players travelling back from Asia/South America during international breaks are left out of their club squads for the following game as they recover, not something new in football. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

Just now, FoxesWalk said:

I’m guessing your work isn’t completely dependant on being peak physical condition? Athletic performance and sleep are highly connected, hence widespread use (and apparent abuse) of sleeping pills in sport. 

But as mentioned above if we are coming back shortly after the Liverpool game it’s not going to be an issue for the game itself. 

It's a week though, they will be back training Tuesday after a day on Monday. Similar to a normal match day. 

there should be no excuses for not being completely ready for next Sunday. We have had as good if better conditions for pre season than most. 

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I thought they looked very mediocre in the playoff final.  If that's the best a top 6 side can muster then, as I have repeatedly said, we should have no problems at all in beating these or any other team in this league at home.

If we score first we'll be fine imo. Completely different story if they nick one early on. But I guess you could say that about a good majority of our games this season.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Calling the city soulless is a bit much. It was bombed to the ground in the 40s, then built up in the brutalist architecture on the backs of the wind rush generation while the country was on it knees economically, while it has some of the pretty, old medieval buildings alongside it.

I get the brutalist architecture isn’t the best to look at, but it’s certainly not soulless. The city has its character of being built at a certain time on the backs of mass tragedy and exploited people from former colonies making new lives in the uk. It’s a lot less soulless than plenty of other cities that were allowed far more resources to rebuild 

I think it's starting to shake off that soulless tag and now has a certain unique charm to it, the cathedral is and always has been incredible. I don't see much difference between the two cities really, it's just that our historic and cultural buildings were mainly destroyed by 'progress'.

• Like 1