Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

1 hour ago, suffolk fox said:

We are playing Coventry not prime Man City, PSG, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc.....its bloody Coventry

Off the back of a poorly planned pre-season, with a new manager who already is having a moan about the speed at which transfers are happenening, with a still a majority of a squad that rolls over the first sign of trouble

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Spineless under a spineless manager

Apparently some that wanted to leave now want to stay after working with Enzo

Lets see what mentality he can get into the squad

Or realise that the offers they are getting are not as lucrative as what’s on the table here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I thought they looked very mediocre in the playoff final.  If that's the best a top 6 side can muster then, as I have repeatedly said, we should have no problems at all in beating these or any other team in this league at home.

...what about away, it is a strange caveat, due to what you have stated!!!

2 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

With a half built squad, zero creative players, and no wide players bar Albrighton. Probably jet lagged off the back off a ridiculous trip to watch a monsoon and play one game against reasonable opponents in the space of what… three weeks? 

Given we are trying to learn an entirely new system on top of this, I wouldn’t go into this expecting to dominate. A draw would legitimately be a decent result. They are a good side now, narrowly missing out on promotion, and have for the most part kept their team together and kept the same manager. 

Again - this is wildly hyperbolic.  You may not rate our midfield, but 'zero' is absolute.  May i suggest in future to try 'inadequate'?  

Otherwise, i entirely agree with your second point.

Edited by Lillehamring
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

If you can fully recover from jet lag across 8 times zones in a day, I’ll have what you are having? I travel regularly to/from the US as I have family there, and my sleep is disrupted for a minimum of 3 days regardless of which direction I am going, and that is 5 time zones away. Takes some people about a week, general rule of thumb is ~1 day per time zone. 

But it's not like they have to get up for a day job, they're professional athletes, they'll have a programme to help them reacclimatise - certain global sports like athletics and skiing require constant travelling and yet athletes perform almost immediately.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

If we score first we'll be fine imo. Completely different story if they nick one early on. But I guess you could say that about a good majority of our games this season.

I can't help but feel you're basing this entirely on last seasons team, manager and performances?

1 hour ago, snoopy87 said:

There's still a large majority of the spineless here from last season that waived the white flag at the first sign of a battle, couple that with Barnes and Maddison gone, I fail to see where the goals will come from

Or maybe they just weren't playing for the manager?  From most reports the players are buying into Maresca and the new regime, that kind of psychology can totally flip a player's performance.  And i think anyone that doesn't put in a shift on match day will not be involved much after.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Or maybe they just weren't playing for the manager?  From most reports the players are buying into Maresca and the new regime, that kind of psychology can totally flip a player's performance.  And i think anyone that doesn't put in a shift on match day will not be involved much after.

Hopefully. Last season we got beat by any team that just wanted it more.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, evil jack said:

Hopefully. Last season we got beat by any team that just wanted it more.

It's not an unreasonable or overly optimistic hope, though.  There's no reason why what happened last year wasn't in isolation; certainly, as far as player motivation is concerned, the drop off in desire seems largely a result of the situation with rodgers, rather than the vast majority of our squad all simultaneously deciding that they 'really can't be bothered with football any more'.

5 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

it appears hamer will be available for them still 😫

...watched him on YouTube, he looks like a midfield dynamo, never stops running and is brave as well!!!

As a DM and now having Winks we are probably looking for a more creative #8, but this player would give us so much going forward.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...watched him on YouTube, he looks like a midfield dynamo, never stops running and is brave as well!!!

As a DM and now having Winks we are probably looking for a more creative #8, but this player would give us so much going forward.

It sounds like he might be attainable as well. A lot depends on if burnley firm up their interest but it seems that leeds might have a shot at him. 

I’d be disgusted if he ended up there because we are focused on casadei. Hamer on a permanent is far more valuable than a year of a promising chelsea youngster with rough edges.  I think it would definitely be £15m well spent , but i’m not sure if we have that in the budget. 

27 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It sounds like he might be attainable as well. A lot depends on if burnley firm up their interest but it seems that leeds might have a shot at him. 

I’d be disgusted if he ended up there because we are focused on casadei. Hamer on a permanent is far more valuable than a year of a promising chelsea youngster with rough edges.  I think it would definitely be £15m well spent , but i’m not sure if we have that in the budget. 

...Winks looks like the acquisition that we needed, but Hamer gives us that little bit more in defence and going forward!!!

We really cannot have both, there are still areas we need to fill and locking down the Right Wing, should be priority.

2 hours ago, Jaspa said:

So kicks off in a week - signed 3 players, one of them currently injured. Sold our 2 best attackers, replaced neither. Team is currently on the other side of the world about to play a training game against a Club who will either play us off the park in an exhibition or just play their kids.

The only hope we have is that our new manager is magic and has corralled our flaccid flops of last season into somewhat of a fit, drilled & cohesive XI.

Championship's a tough division. Think we'll be in for a shock.

Our preparation for the championship campaign has just been fvcking embarrassing!!... Arrogance personified. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaspa said:

So kicks off in a week - signed 3 players, one of them currently injured. Sold our 2 best attackers, replaced neither. Team is currently on the other side of the world about to play a training game against a Club who will either play us off the park in an exhibition or just play their kids.

The only hope we have is that our new manager is magic and has corralled our flaccid flops of last season into somewhat of a fit, drilled & cohesive XI.

Championship's a tough division. Think we'll be in for a shock.

Signed 4 players (Coady, Winks, Hermansen and Doyle) with a 5th to be supposedly announced on Monday.

• Like 1

I feel it's one of those games where it really could go either way.

I'll perhaps feel differently in the aftermath of the liverpool game.

Might be too late for Mavididi to be involved, and who knows who might have left by then, and coady and vardy likely missing - so even picking a line up will be tough.

Heart says - it clicks just enough and we give them a decent game and we draw or scrape a win.

Head says - too soon and coventry approach it like a cup final and take advantage of a few moments of confusion and we lose.

either way - it's probably never been more real to say 'it's the performance that matters most'.  i think just some passion will go a long way to suggesting that we have put last year behind us.