Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

Surely they'll come at us early on and aim to get the first goal. Think we'll need to ride out some early pressure and then turn the screw when Coventry fade. 

Don't think we are where we should be at the end of a preseason and I'm expecting this to be a close game.

I think this will be a bit of a reality check. 1-3 Coventry. I’m not convinced that we’re ready to go, and I can see us gifting them three early goals. 

I hope to god I’m wrong, because I’m at work with a Cov fan and a Forest fan and they’re both *****.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

By an odd coincidence, exactly 12 years ago, we also played the first game of the Championship season against Coventry City - on August 6th, 2011. That game was away, and we won it 1-0, eventually finishing the season in 9th. position. We started the season with SGE in charge and ended with it NP as manager. Coventry were relegated to Division One. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

By an odd coincidence, exactly 12 years ago, we also played the first game of the Championship season against Coventry City - on August 6th, 2011. That game was away, and we won it 1-0, eventually finishing the season in 9th. position. We started the season with SGE in charge and ended with it NP as manager. Coventry were relegated to Division One. 

one football team playing another. how coincidental.

OK - updated line up, based on injuries and what we saw vs Liverpool

Hermansen

Ricardo - Faes - Vestergaard - Doyle

Winks

Ndidi - Kdh

McAteer - Daka - Mavididi

Just now, Lillehamring said:

OK - updated line up, based on injuries and what we saw vs Liverpool

Hermansen

Ricardo - Faes - Vestergaard - Doyle

Winks

Ndidi - Kdh

McAteer - Daka - Mavididi

Why is Vesteergaad anywhere near that lineup and where is Nacho

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Why is Vesteergaad anywhere near that lineup and where is Nacho

Because Coady is injured and Vestergaard has played there in every (?) pre-season game, and played ok. Who else do we have - Souttar? - clearly not in Maresca's immediate plans.

Daka - because Maresca wanted vardy to play and Daka is the most natural replacement for Vardy.  None of our strikers have really looked the business in pre-season - so i've no particular preference, but Daka seems to be the way Maresca's heading.

Saying all that, Maresca seems happy to chop and change per opponent and i know nothing about Coventry's squad, so i'm just playing the percentages :)

27 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

perhaps a first day humbling, is the best thing can happen to us, might make Top realise he needs to get the cheque book out

Absolutely not. We need to set a precedent. Anyway, we’ve spend some good money this pre-season. I think the whole football economy is on its arse, bar the top clubs. For example, Fulham not allowing Cairney to leave until, they get signings in. It’s clear that clubs aren’t taking risks anymore for some reason, and those who are run the risk of being bitten on the arse. 

What we need is a steady start battling to victories and draws until the squad is finalised and the confidence sets ins. A defeat would just kill the whole mood straight away. Can you imagine losing on day one? It would be beyond toxic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Absolutely not. We need to set a precedent. Anyway, we’ve spend some good money this pre-season. I think the whole football economy is on its arse, bar the top clubs. For example, Fulham not allowing Cairney to leave until, they get signings in. It’s clear that clubs aren’t taking risks anymore for some reason, and those who are run the risk of being bitten on the arse. 

What we need is a steady start battling to victories and draws until the squad is finalised and the confidence sets ins. A defeat would just kill the whole mood straight away. Can you imagine losing on day one? It would be beyond toxic.

Burnley had 3 draws and a loss in their first 4 games last season

Hard to be optimistic with half the bone brains from last year still here, throw in an inexperienced manager who wants to play out from the back(piss about with it making fancy triangles ,overlaps ,yawn) despite not having the players. Be happy to see a top 6 challenge this season. Think we finish about 8th, just looking at our unbalanced squad full of last years bottlers makes me feel for the worst.