Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

9 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

StriderHiryu did bring up this point with Coady in possession against Northampton.

Fair enough but unlike Brighton where this is their main pattern/form of attack, I genuinely don’t think it has been Enzo’s.

Not disputing it 1) works and 2) has been tried but the overload of midfielders seems to be more around those triangle passes which obviously can be initiated by the CB inviting the press but in the main I would argue that it’s been to get the ball into the centre of the park relatively quickly so far.

Edited by SafewayFox

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I think the quality, or lack of, in Coventry will probably shock some. We might be in a bit of a state but we still have very good players. I'm looking on the bright side and I am encouraged by the first half an hour yesterday I don't care about the rest of the game, we won't be facing Jota, Salah, Nunez, Gakpo and Diaz next season. And no before anyone says it, I'm not saying the championship is easy and we will walk it, I'm just saying people are way over the top because we lost to Liverpool. Yes we need more signings, and I'm sure they are trying. It's sounds like the type of player we are after is likely to be players who premier league clubs are after, or who players at prem clubs like Diallo, Palmer etc which might get done nearer the end of the window. 

Exactly we are far from the finished article, but Coventry aren't Man City. Even if we do lose, let's win the other 3 games 9 points out of 12, transfer window closes, an crack on from there.

1 hour ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I think the quality, or lack of, in Coventry will probably shock some. We might be in a bit of a state but we still have very good players. I'm looking on the bright side and I am encouraged by the first half an hour yesterday I don't care about the rest of the game, we won't be facing Jota, Salah, Nunez, Gakpo and Diaz next season. And no before anyone says it, I'm not saying the championship is easy and we will walk it, I'm just saying people are way over the top because we lost to Liverpool. Yes we need more signings, and I'm sure they are trying. It's sounds like the type of player we are after is likely to be players who premier league clubs are after, or who players at prem clubs like Diallo, Palmer etc which might get done nearer the end of the window. 

Exactly we are far from the finished article, but Coventry aren't Man City. Even if we do lose, let's win the other 3 games 9 points out of 12, transfer window closes, an crack on from there.

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'd imagine it was agreed and contracts were signed a long time ago. 

I think you're most possibly right but surely any contract should have variable conditions you'd have thought including a potential relegation clause. To not even consider it is perhaps a little bit arrogant in the situation we were in for a good part of the season and probably indicative of a certain mindset. Any Director of Football should know the start dates for both Premiership and Championship seasons. Surely going there wouldn't be purely about the money involved wouldit?

You have to feel a little bit sorry for Maresca as he will ultimately be judged on results and would need as much time as possible in the best possible circumstances to pull a team together. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

Just now, Sly said:

I do think people under estimate how good some of our players are.

I could see us breathing Coventry by at least 2 goals. 

Albrighton is our only winger currently and we've been frolicking about 6 hours ahead of our timezone this week. Some of our players are very good but we don't have players in key positions yet.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sly said:

Who is decent from what we have left ?

who creates and scores our goals Sunday. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sly said:

Fair enough.

We went down with 34 points last year though. The only players other teams wanted have gone.

I'm not sure there's too many left who I would describe as 'good'. 

I think Coventry would have to be very poor to lose to us on Sunday, although I do think we'll eventually get the players we need in - Got to have a bit of blind faith!

30 minutes ago, Sly said:

I think it’s attitude over the quality. Some players don’t want to be here, and it seems to show in some of the games. If the likes of Castagne, Praet et al, can lay aside their grievances and put a shift in, yes, we should realistically ease past Coventry. But as we saw V Blackburn last season, if you’ve got players who aren’t up for it, you’ll get bummed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

I'd sooner beat co*, lose to the other three and the crack on.

1 hour ago, Whys it always me said:

Spot on this is and probably the first time we’ve agreed on anything 😂 

Im yet to be convinced it’s the right appointment but will support him. 

When Rodger’s first came he took the shackles off and we played some excellent football. I keep seeing this ‘we were great for 20 minutes’ against a really strong Liverpool. They put mostly youth out in the second half and we still got destroyed which seems to be getting overlooked. The players we had on the pitch should be beating a Liverpool u21/23 side. 

Yes the championship isn’t as strong but it’s no walk in the park either. Lots of work to be done with the players and he needs time but people will continue to moan and rightly so. pre season has been a shambles and results haven’t been fantastic and despite what people say about pre season results don’t matter they do for confidence and we need some confidence and goals. 

Let’s see what Sunday brings.

Whilst yes they did put a weaker team out 2nd half we didn't get destroyed we weren't great but not destroyed. And they were fresh where as our players had already played 45 minutes that makes a big difference especially in pre season when teams aren't fully fit

31 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Whilst yes they did put a weaker team out 2nd half we didn't get destroyed we weren't great but not destroyed. And they were fresh where as our players had already played 45 minutes that makes a big difference especially in pre season when teams aren't fully fit

Liverpool are a week behind us in pre season training.

They absolutely dominated possession with a weaker team and carved us open, they may not have scored as many but they destroyed us. did we play well for 20 minutes or did Liverpool start slow? My personal opinion was a mix of both however klopp changed tactics and we struggled, KDH referenced this in his post match interview. We had no response to that and this is what you expect our manager to respond to. As I said it’s early days, we will get better but let’s be under no illusion we have been exceptionally poor in pre season. 

You are suggesting they were fresher as Liverpool changed the team yet our manager decided to stick with the same 11 for probably longer than he should have in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Albrighton is our only winger currently and we've been frolicking about 6 hours ahead of our timezone this week. Some of our players are very good but we don't have players in key positions yet.

We’re pretty much covered everywhere apart from RW as a minimum at the mo and we can get away with playing Castagne there until we get more bodies in.

We’re more than good enough to get through these early games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

We’re pretty much covered everywhere apart from RW as a minimum at the mo and we can get away with playing Castagne there until we get more bodies in.

We’re more than good enough to get through these early games.

Not for me.

We are short of proven quality in the following.

No LW until we sign Mavididi 

No RW other than Albrighton 

Missing a CM who can competently attack the box 

Could argue we don’t have a striker in form either 

Miss a no 10 type player to diversify our play 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sly said:

We said the same all the way through last season.

We have some good players, on paper, but are also missing positions including a winger and a creative midfielder. I still worry about scoring too with our forward options.

Clubs with "good" players, good squads, have stayed down before.

Edited by Fox92

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Not for me.

We are short of proven quality in the following.

No LW until we sign Mavididi 

No RW other than Albrighton 

Missing a CM who can competently attack the box 

Could argue we don’t have a striker in form either 

Miss a no 10 type player to diversify our play 

I classed Mavididi as signed. 

But I still stand by we can put out a more than competent enough side to get us through the early games until we get more quality in.

KDH and Praet as the 8’s in this current formation. Past that as you say we probably need 2 more in as Ndidi isn’t going to cut it.

RW although not ideal Albrighton/Castagne but fingers crossed we can get someone in ASAP.

Not sure we’re going to play with a 10 anytime soon but maybe the links with Cairney deal with that.

The strikers not being inform is worrying but we’ve still got 3 very good options for this league.

I’m not saying we’re perfect but any stretch of the imagination but coming on here and just reading negative post after negative post but if people just took a step back and realised we’re a few key pieces away from having an unbelievable side at this level with a coach who’s obviously very good at getting his ideas across and whom the players seem to love, which is a stark change from the past couple of seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

A number of those good players do not want to be at the club. Until the attitude that got us relegated is rooted out of the club I will always have caution about how we are going to do. 

• Like 1

Our inability to defend and Rodgers tactical masterclass in picking Ward / Amartey for 75% of the season had far greater impact toward our relegation than our squad being poor. 

We will be okay. 

I appreciate we aren’t the finished article, however we’ll add more bodies. 

Even in our current state, we are better than 70% of the teams in this division. 

Also, I’ve already seen enough to know that the players that are playing care, Castagne aside. 

I’d expect us to beat Coventry, purely because you look at their squad and they aren’t exactly blessed for attacking and creative themselves. They’ve sold one of their best players from last season and we’ve got the other. 

• Like 2