Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Finding it a bit troubling that collectively as a fanbase there is a lowering of expectations here. 

When we had Geoff Horsfield upfront, Jason Jarrett and Andy Johnson stinking up midfield, I expected a win against Coventry at home. 

They haven't beaten us in Leicester since 2001. We've lost historically once in 16 games to them. 

There's a chatter a draw would be a good result. This is a local derby. Where are we heading? 

As much as there is major work to do with our squad and I honestly expect an awkward first half of our season, we couldn't have asked for a much better opening five games. Coventry are working to the same timeframe as us in terms of pre-season and lost a lot of loanees/their main goalscorer too. 

If these players bend over again, I'll be as pissed off as I was at Craven Cottage in May. If we just go on pure vibes, it's time collectively as a club, they put out a performance to inspire some positive and confidence. 

We should be winning given our relative massive financial advantage over Coventry. 

I'm predicting a loss because despite that massive advantage unless we name about 8 defenders in the starting line up, our squad is well off it.

Bare in mind in a game against Blackburn where we badly needed a win for confidence we got pretty much steamrollered by them.

• Poor pre season prep
  • Almost non-existent recruitment in areas we have know we would need players
  • New style of play
  • Players who have an eye on the door who will have to play
  • Key player (Ricardo) is very injury prone

There are barely any positives to hang onto for me.

Our best hope is a 0-0, but we'll likely be masters of our own downfall whilst trying to get used to our new system. I can see Simms bagging a couple and some of our fans and the media getting a massive reality check.

A loss might actually get the board the pull their fingers out and sack the cretin who is embarrassing us or at least encourage him to go and do his actual job.

Feels very much like the same complacency from last season is sitting with the board and more concerningly our fan base.

I'll be amazed if we're top 10 come September 1st. Fully expect us to improve as the season goes on though.

In terms of lowering expectations though. I want to add, that tor a club of our size and financial power relative to other clubs though, anything but top 2 for this club this season is a failure and under performance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

terms of lowering expectations though. I want to add, that tor a club of our size and financial power relative to other clubs though, anything but top 2 for this club this season is a failure and under performance.

This also applies to Leeds and Southampton and yet the PL has Luton and tin pot Bournemouth. The fault lies with the owners of these clubs. The past is the past and King Power's credit is all used up . They start getting it right or they clear off.

1 hour ago, Whys it always me said:

Liverpool are a week behind us in pre season training.

They absolutely dominated possession with a weaker team and carved us open, they may not have scored as many but they destroyed us. did we play well for 20 minutes or did Liverpool start slow? My personal opinion was a mix of both however klopp changed tactics and we struggled, KDH referenced this in his post match interview. We had no response to that and this is what you expect our manager to respond to. As I said it’s early days, we will get better but let’s be under no illusion we have been exceptionally poor in pre season. 

You are suggesting they were fresher as Liverpool changed the team yet our manager decided to stick with the same 11 for probably longer than he should have in my opinion. 

Because they need the minutes in there kegs to get fit! 

Not saying I agree with it but I think this will be the lineup.

Hermansen

Ricardo.  Vesty.   Doyle  Justin 

Ndidi.     Winks       KDH

Daka.          Nacho         Mavididi

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, dnewty said:

Hermansen

Agree, except Castagne probably still stealing minutes from Justin. A chance Wanya or Albrighton start in place of Daka. 

Edit: thinking about it, Doyle will be LB so Justin may start alongside Ricardo to be the right CB in possession, with Vesty in the middle and Doyle left. Could be Faes or Souttar though, Faes clearly wants out and Souttar does seem to be fancied. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, dnewty said:

Hermansen

...unless Praet is injured or an imminent transfer is in the offing, he needs to take the Ndidi role!!!

His (Ndidi) distribution is poor, he will put us in so much trouble during the transition and like the Liverpool game it will cost us a goal. There is a moment of indecision that comes with him and he needs to be decisive in attacking positions. A natural attacking CM would have taken the shot when he was put clean through, you could see he was looking for support in that instance. Twice he had the opportunity to play someone in on goal and in both situations, the pass was either under-hit (in the first half) or not where it should be (second half).

22 minutes ago, Sly said:

With how well the club has communicated during the past 18 months, Coady could have had his foot amputated and we’d find out when @Finnegan spots him in Morrisons and completes a seventeen page statistical PowerPoint presentation with associated vrooming car noises.

FTFY

• Haha 2

Haven’t been paying as close attention as usual as life is mental. So are we looking at this long term with everyone fit……..?

Mads

Ricardo JJ Coady Doyle

RCM Winks KDH

RW Nacho Mavididi

?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Hamer for Coventry is the X Factor in this game. We don’t have anyone to compete. I think it will be tight but the special player on the pitch will win it. 

Aren’t we meant to be signing him off them?

Guest nathan.
11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Hamer for Coventry is the X Factor in this game. We don’t have anyone to compete. I think it will be tight but the special player on the pitch will win it. 

You are going on like hes Messi.

Good player but nothing special. 

6 hours ago, inckley fox said:

I don't know. I reckon it's alright to wonder whether pre-season selections may give clues to the line-up, and whether these likely line-ups - based on what we know of the players in question - will be effective. The same goes for his tactical ideas.

And I see no problem at all in people being a little warier at having an inexperienced manager. Sadly, it also goes without saying that a manager who has been consistently successful at the right levels will get more faith and more patience than a manager of lesser pedigree. There's no point in denying this, surely.

Where I have a bit of a problem is when people rush to condemn. People who are convinced that the board haven't appropriately adjusted their way of operating. Who know that Rudkin needs to go, that Maresca isn't up to it, that this signing will be awful, that those tactics won't work.

I mean, on the one hand it'd be weird, wouldn't it, to not notice that Mads had a poor game yesterday, and wonder whether we might have prioritised one set of goalkeeping traits a little too much, when we have another competent FLC keeper in our ranks? You'd be kidding yourself to totally dismiss the notion. But if you saw that game and wrote some of the things that I saw on here yesterday about what an utter liability he'll be, then I'd fully agree with you and say that that sort of negativity isn't going to help anyone. Nor would it if it happened next week too.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that - the only real selling point for, say, Parker, was that he has been successful at this level - so, had he come in and we lost the first few games, or were awful, there'd be no hiding place or excuses.  With Maresca half our fans would proabbly just nod and mumble 'early days...',  the other half would just say ' told you so'.

On 22/06/2023 at 19:26, CosbehFox said:

Can you name anything of note from that. They had amazingly have never been in top six of division for nearly 60 years until they got relegated to League 2

Staying up on the last day for about 21 of those 34 seasons in the top flight lol

They'd have been better off going up and down a few times, actually having a little success.

25 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Aren’t we meant to be signing him off them?

I hope so!

20 minutes ago, nathan. said:

You are going on like hes Messi.

Good player but nothing special. 

At this level, he’s a talent. In tight games, they win you matches. I think we’ve got some players who will shine for other reasons, Winks, KDH next to a Hamer type would run this league. Hoping I’m wrong, a defeat to Cov would be another horrible moment.