Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

It's both...

Not sure what is so confusing. 

The target should be top 2. I don't think we're anywhere near where we need to be to achieve that yet.

Hardly a difficult concept lol

Your point is what I was trying to saying. 

The expectation of LCFC in their positioning/statute should be top 2 and sending Cov packing 3-0. 

However, have we given ourselves the best chance of achieving that? No 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

On the flip side, they have

only lost 2 players and have a recent history of overachieving with the squad they have.

I don’t think they are world beaters but we look to be a long way short of having a successful summer rebuild.

6 players who featured in the playoff final have left 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ThumbsUp said:

Nobody's even talking about Cov besides empty platitudes like "they'll be well up for it". Cov apparently had a good run of form towards the end of last season. I don't really know how they played during the season but both games v Middlesborough they were poor. They've lost their top scorer and assister and replaced him with a 22 year old from Everton who nobody has heard of. We've also taken their young player of the year off their hands. 

You've got to balance things out, and things aren't exactly looking good for Coventry. There's a reason nobody's predicting them to be in the playoffs despite being in the final last season. 

They have overachieved for the past three or four seasons, lets be honest people's predictions mean nothing. Nobody predicted them to be near the play off final last season. Robins continues to do an excellent job, one of the best in the Country over the past five or six years.

27 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

6 players who featured in the playoff final have left 

Fair play, I didn’t know that. I would still say that they may be a bit better prepared than us but we will see come Sunday.

As the days tick on, the extreme likelihood is that no new players will be in the squad for Cov. Mavididi likely to be in out of necessity I imagine. 

With that in mind I think there's a strong chance we put out a seriously underwhelming team. I've lost track of who exactly is injured? 

Think there's a strong chance the starting lineup vs Liverpool but with Stephy for McAteer probably isn't way off in which case I wouldn't make us overwhelming favourites against Cov. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

As the days tick on, the extreme likelihood is that no new players will be in the squad for Cov. Mavididi likely to be in out of necessity I imagine. 

With that in mind I think there's a strong chance we put out a seriously underwhelming team. I've lost track of who exactly is injured? 

Think there's a strong chance the starting lineup vs Liverpool but with Stephy for McAteer probably isn't way off in which case I wouldn't make us overwhelming favourites against Cov. 

Yep, and that’s without mentioning Yannik in defence and, I can’t believe I’m about to write this,  Ndidi playing as an attacking mid .

Coventry are about to break their transfer record to sign USA international Haji Wright from the Turkish league. I expect he will play some part against us.

I think they are going to be in serious contention to go up this season. Gyokeres was an excellent player, way too good for the Championship, but it looks like they are going to sign 4/5 players from the funds plus playoff run, and that will give them a lot of squad depth. I am really concerned about our foreign foray, as jet-lagged players against a team that narrowly missed out on promotion does not sound great.

53 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Coventry are about to break their transfer record to sign USA international Haji Wright from the Turkish league. I expect he will play some part against us.

I think they are going to be in serious contention to go up this season. Gyokeres was an excellent player, way too good for the Championship, but it looks like they are going to sign 4/5 players from the funds plus playoff run, and that will give them a lot of squad depth. I am really concerned about our foreign foray, as jet-lagged players against a team that narrowly missed out on promotion does not sound great.

I like to think of myself as a jet lag meister. Arrive back Monday 6am. Most will have been asleep on the plane, it's a 13 hour trip. There's only sleep to do.

Monday night / Tuesday am they might still be a bit overtired but training will knock any sluggishness away. Tonight into Wednesday morning they will be perfectly normal. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I like to think of myself as a jet lag meister. Arrive back Monday 6am. Most will have been asleep on the plane, it's a 13 hour trip. There's only sleep to do.

Monday night / Tuesday am they might still be a bit overtired but training will knock any sluggishness away. Tonight into Wednesday morning they will be perfectly normal. 

I hope you are right! :fc:

2 hours ago, ThumbsUp said:

Nobody's even talking about Cov besides empty platitudes like "they'll be well up for it". Cov apparently had a good run of form towards the end of last season. I don't really know how they played during the season but both games v Middlesborough they were poor. They've lost their top scorer and assister and replaced him with a 22 year old from Everton who nobody has heard of. We've also taken their young player of the year off their hands. 

You've got to balance things out, and things aren't exactly looking good for Coventry. There's a reason nobody's predicting them to be in the playoffs despite being in the final last season. 

Uh oh, you haven't seen the super computer prediction have you?

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Luckily the effects of jet lag aren’t as bad travelling east as they are west! I’m sure the actual coaching and support staff will have it all in hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's a great time for them to play us. They'll be up for it, we will be undercooked and fragile with some players who don't want to be here. 

We are better than them, and if we play as we can we will win comfortably but there is more to it than that. 

Why will they be anymore up for it than we are?

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Are we allowed to sing'Did you  cry at Wembley"? after they have abused us about Premier  league  relegation or will our woke brigade deem it unsportsmanlike and hurt the cov fans feelings?

I think Raj was on the same plane as he’s not woke yet.

5 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Ok, but i challenge what you claim to be educated guesses, they seem to veer always and so strongly towards a 'worst case scenraio' (and you're not alone, i'm not singularly criticizing you).  Sadly we have no empirical evidence to indicate what will happen ( we don't know how our defence, for example, will stand up against championship strikers - we haven't played against any this pre-season), but to assume the worst in pretty much every detail seems to be that all the Information before you is not being considered.

I'm not sure what you are specifically referring to in these points, so i won't question them.  And I'm not sure where i've said to anyone 'you can't prove it' - certainly as a general argument, that is not how i work - every argument i make here i will try to give an example of why i believe it.  But i won't be making assumptions without at least explaining why i believe it - so i won't be saying 'we're going to be awesome and win the league' any more than i'll say 'we're a shit show and will get relegated'.

Perhaps the reason that optimistic assumptions aren't scrutinised as much (and mine certainly are!) is because the negative fans struggle to find reasons to fault them, because, the reality is, there's very little to suggest things aren't going to be any worse than 'adequate', whereas the negative assumptions (and, yes, i'm generalising here) seem to be founded on at best 'what happened last year' and at worst, irrational paranoia.

Would you have argued back and forth with someone who was taking a best case scenario view? I.E those that think we're going to absolutely destroy the league? 

10 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

It's a great time for them to play us. They'll be up for it, we will be undercooked and fragile with some players who don't want to be here. 

We are better than them, and if we play as we can we will win comfortably but there is more to it than that. 

Every team will be up for it against us. Recent FA Cup winners and Champions of England are rolling into places like Rotherham, Plymouth and Bristol City. There are no easy games, everybody will want to beat us including Coventry. It's just that this weekend has the added complex of a local derby.

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Are we allowed to sing'Did you  cry at Wembley"? after they have abused us about Premier  league  relegation or will our woke brigade deem it unsportsmanlike and hurt the cov fans feelings?

You're allowed Raj. You have my permission.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Agreed and I therefore would suggest Cov are massively overpriced at 5/1 for this one.

I've got a horrible 1 nil away win feeling about this one. 

On 31/07/2023 at 18:34, filbertway said:

We should be winning given our relative massive financial advantage over Coventry. 

I'm predicting a loss because despite that massive advantage unless we name about 8 defenders in the starting line up, our squad is well off it.

Bare in mind in a game against Blackburn where we badly needed a win for confidence we got pretty much steamrollered by them.

• Poor pre season prep
  • Almost non-existent recruitment in areas we have know we would need players
  • New style of play
  • Players who have an eye on the door who will have to play
  • Key player (Ricardo) is very injury prone

There are barely any positives to hang onto for me.

Our best hope is a 0-0, but we'll likely be masters of our own downfall whilst trying to get used to our new system. I can see Simms bagging a couple and some of our fans and the media getting a massive reality check.

A loss might actually get the board the pull their fingers out and sack the cretin who is embarrassing us or at least encourage him to go and do his actual job.

Feels very much like the same complacency from last season is sitting with the board and more concerningly our fan base.

I'll be amazed if we're top 10 come September 1st. Fully expect us to improve as the season goes on though.

In terms of lowering expectations though. I want to add, that tor a club of our size and financial power relative to other clubs though, anything but top 2 for this club this season is a failure and under performance.

We can’t compete with the top 6 because of the huge financial advantage they have over us but naturally there’ll be some excuse as to why we can’t blitz the league with ours now 

Guest Col city fan
4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We can’t compete with the top 6 because of the huge financial advantage they have over us but naturally there’ll be some excuse as to why we can’t blitz the league with ours now 

This is bound to happen on here, excuse-central.

That we should go from where we were to people genuinely believing we’ll lose at home to Cov shows how far we’ve fallen in what? 3 years?

Personally I think both teams will score and we’ll win 3-1