Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

43 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Please don't make us point out Forest have actually achieved things. If you see Coventry as your big rival, you're making us out to be a minnow.

I’m from South Leicester, the trophy cabinet has never come into it 

Take away the prem title and the fa cup in recent years we had won nothing . 

• Like 1

Leicester surpassed them now, I'd say the two clubs were pretty similar in terms of success up to 2012. Since that period, Leicester have won the championship, premier league, fa cup, played champions league football... while Cov have only won the Fa Cup, and the pointless cup trophy. 

17 minutes ago, Sampson said:

How does that work? There’s plenty of disparate rivalries where one team are much more successful than the other - Villa vs Birmingham, Watford vs Luton, Stoke vs Port Vale, Bristol City vs Rovers etc.

Just because Forest had 2 or 3 great seasons 45 years ago that most of our fans won’t remember or have any conscious association with during their time.

Coventry were a top flight club for a long long time and also competing alongside us for a long time. They’re hardly Peterborough in comparison to us or Forest 

Some pretty poor examples there.

Luton have won a League Cup and Watford have never won a major trophy. Stoke have only ever won a League Cup. Bristol City and Bristol Rovers have zero major trophies between them.

Otherwise I agree with you. Nobody under 50 has any reason to see Forest as a bigger club than us, quite the opposite in fact.

Coventry were in the top flight many years ago for 30 odd years, but what did they do in that time? They were mostly avoiding relegation by the skin of their teeth and winning a single FA Cup 36 years ago. It's no exaggeration to say we achieved more in our last Premier League stint than Coventry have in their entire existence. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

I’ve always struggled to understand why anyone gives the remotest fvck about Cov. It’s always been a complete nonentity of a club - this supposed rivalry is the only thing remotely interesting about it. It’s the physical embodiment of the word ‘meh’.

I believe this is the gif you're looking for.....

alan shrug.gif

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Some pretty poor examples there.

Luton have won a League Cup and Watford have never won a major trophy. Stoke have only ever won a League Cup. Bristol City and Bristol Rovers have zero major trophies between them.

Otherwise I agree with you. Nobody under 50 has any reason to see Forest as a bigger club than us, quite the opposite in fact.

Coventry were in the top flight many years ago for 30 odd years, but what did they do in that time? They were mostly avoiding relegation by the skin of their teeth and winning a single FA Cup 36 years ago. It's no exaggeration to say we achieved more in our last Premier League stint than Coventry have in their entire existence. 

In my lifetime, the 'local' derby that always excited me was Villa - at least from the 90s - there were so many links and key moments, and my best mate was a villa fan - that said, i've never disliked them - 

• Like 1

Love when we have something resembling a Derby and you get people who love to play a game of I care the least lol

Pretty sure most rivalries will come from where you live and the fans you interact with the most. 

You're all very special people and the team you hate the mostest will vary from other peoples, but don't let that detract from your own special hatred of a random team due to their geographical location.

We must be one of few clubs that  are in this position. Most club rivalries seem pretty set in stone, whereas we have a love little buffet of choices.

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Some rat bastard on their forum seems to think a few of their lot are bringing inflatable helicopters to the game Sunday.

Does their Universal Credit stretch that far?

• Like 2

It wouldn’t surprise me if we thrash them 4-0 , but equally could see us winning this by the odd goal or two.

I am excited , hopefully the depression of last season relegation dies down with promotion this season. WYS :scarf:

20 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Some rat bastard on their forum seems to think a few of their lot are bringing inflatable helicopters to the game Sunday.

If they do they do. Theres no point fretting about it as it just shows them up for what they are

40 minutes ago, Ashley said:

No match for the inflatable Dinosaur, ever seen Godzilla?!? 😂

Joking aside, sadly there's always one or two scumbags who show themselves up for what they are. Let's try and remember that after the game they have to go back to Coventry... 

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Wasn't that cvnt United fan with the 97 shirt from Cov? Says it all.

3 hours ago, dayday said:

I’m from South Leicester, the trophy cabinet has never come into it 

Take away the prem title and the fa cup in recent years we had won nothing . 

Well, apart from the League Cup 3 times. OK, it is the minor of the three major trophies but there are many clubs that would die to have it only once on their honours board. 

• Like 3

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/neighbouring-police-forces-team-up-27450217

Neighbouring police forces team up as Coventry City face Leicester rivals in M69 derby clash
Coventry City and Leicester City will renew their rivalry at the King Power Stadium

ByPaul Suart
14:11, 3 AUG 2023

Officers from the West Midlands will support their colleagues at Leicestershire Police in marshalling this weekend's first M69 derby for more than a decade. Near neighbours Coventry City and Leicester City will renew their rivalry when they meet in a hotly-anticipated Championship opener at the King Power Stadium on Sunday.

The clash will be their first meeting since the Foxes ran out 2-0 winners when they hosted the Sky Blues in a Championship fixture in March 2011. Sunday's match is likely to involve a significant policing operation, in spite of its 12pm kick-off time.

West Midlands Police would not be drawn on whether it had any intelligence to suggest there could be crowd trouble. But the force did say it would be providing officers to ensure the game passes off without incident.

READ MORE: Coventry nursery responds after Ofsted inspection found young children 'not kept safe'

"We'll have officers present to support colleagues from Leicestershire Police in policing the fixture," a spokesperson said. Leicestershire Police says the match has been risk-assessed and 'an appropriate policing plan is in place.'

Both forces will be keen to avoid a repeat of the violence that marred Leicester City's derby against Nottingham Forest in February 2022. That match, a late afternoon kick-off in the FA Cup, was the first between the sides for eight years.

On the pitch, the Sky Blues will be keen to banish at least some of their Wembley pain by starting off with a win at Leicester, the bookmakers' favourite for the Championship title. Mark Robins' side fell at the last hurdle, losing to Luton Town on penalties in an agonising Championship play-off final in May.

Robins and co will be desperate to go one better this season by securing a long-awaited return to the top flight. Not since May 2001 have the Sky Blues sat at English football's top table. Leicester, meanwhile, suffered relegation despite a last-day victory over West Ham back in May

People dislike teams for their own reasons. Some see Coventry as our biggest rivals, some don't. Does it really matter!? At the end of the day we want to beat every team whether it's Coventry, Birmingham, Hull, Southampton or Norwich.

Lets get In Your Coventry Slums going on Sunday and beat them.

For the sake of the argument I see them as our biggest rivals.

Up the Foxes.

Edited by Fox92