Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

I have low expectations after last season 

I think tomorrow we will see our team trying to play maresca’s tactics and on occasions it will work - we may even create a few chances

but I expect that Coventry will be much fitter than us and their intensity will likely come out on top. In this context a draw would be a good outcome. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think tomorrow we will see our team trying to play maresca’s tactics and on occasions it will work - we may even create a few chances

but I expect that Coventry will be much fitter than us and their intensity will likely come out on top. In this context a draw would be a good outcome. 

It's not magically going to click is it

I do hope that the cautious and apprehensive vibes given off in this thread aren't replicated in the stands tomorrow.  It will affect the performance on the pitch.

People are being too negative.  Still think we'll have these at 3 0.  Looking forward to it.  I think Maresca will have the players well up for it.  We need to look beyond the negligence of Rodgers and focus on the now.  Tomorrow is a mental assessment of where we are.  This is the most important aspect of tomorrow's game.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

It's good to know I'm not the only over 50 here that feel that the club have blown the potential of long term premier success, it's hard to get excited about the upcoming season, cause part  of me feels that we just shouldn't be here and sides like Fulham Brentford Wolves Brighton and even forest now enjoying better success than us. Even if we do get promoted we will  just be the Leicester of old where our main aim will be survival. when once we were playing European football or on the brink of it but I'd be very surprised if I'll ever see those days again.

I don't think that's quite fair - yes, survival would be the aim, but it won't be the same as the last time we went up.

If we are promoted this season, we will go up with a core of players with PL experience, far more than when we last came up, to which we'll not necessarily have to add masses to (at least not as many recently promoted teams have done).  Not saying it would be easy, but i suspect we'd have a head start on say, 'boro or Ipswich.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Do you have any special insight into the coventry fitness programme, or are you basing it on them starting pre-season a bit before us, or just making a completely unsubstantiated assumption?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Do you have any special insight into the coventry fitness programme, or are you basing it on them starting pre-season a bit before us, or just making a completely unsubstantiated assumption?

You’ve been here long enough to know that’s a rhetorical question 

however, robin’s team is usually very hard working and I would be surprised if he hasn’t got them to strong levels to begin the campaign.  I haven’t seen any evidence in our friendlies that we will be. Of course our boys could have just been playing within themselves ……

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Castagne for Mcateer could well be the better option!!!

Castagne needs to play a lot better than he did against Liverpool - where he looked sloppy and disinterested.  I think i'd rather have McAteer's energy and enthusiasm.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can I just ask....what about coventry tells you they will be fitter or have a greater deal of intensity than us? 

I've not seen or heard much of them in pre season but perhaps others/you have? 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You’ve been here long enough to know that’s a rhetorical question 

Yeah, sorry, i'm feeling a bit passive aggressive towards all the negative assumptions in this thread.

For me, i saw most of the players get through 90 minutes against liverpool, and even have a bit of a flourish towards the end, so i'm not sure why people believe that coventry are likely to be fitter than us to the point where it is remarkable, if at all.

It's almost as though people are so worried we'll lose, they're looking for possible reasons in advance.

And i just had a massive deja vue writing this. not figuratively, but literally...

1 minute ago, Eskay said:

Can I just ask....what about coventry tells you they will be fitter or have a greater deal of intensity than us? 

I've not seen or heard much of them in pre season but perhaps others/you have? 

Coventry played teams from lower leagues with varying degrees of success, i suspect none of them are likely to have worked them as hard as we will.

i’m not sure mcateer is ready for the championship just yet. he didn’t quite hit the ground running in league 2 so i can’t understand why some people are suggesting he should be starting this. 

He’s earnt a spot in the squad but shouldn’t even be a consideration for maresca at this stage. 

I’m hopeful we see

nacho

mavididi.           castagne  (out of lack of options )

kdh.       winks.    praet 

if praet is wide right with ndidi playing just for this game, i won’t be that disappointed. (i say this until he gives a way a silly pen or free kick ) 

10 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

We had one game cancelled and still played more pre-season games than Coventry. Media reports also suggest that Maresca’s training sessions have been very intense, with a strong focus on fitness and stamina. I’ve no idea where this idea that we won’t be fit has come from -it’s bizarre. 

We’ll see soon enough won’t we, hoping you’re correct.