Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JoachimWasMyHero

Coventry Home First Game of the Season

16 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

We had one game cancelled and still played more pre-season games than Coventry. Media reports also suggest that Maresca’s training sessions have been very intense, with a strong focus on fitness and stamina. I’ve no idea where this idea that we won’t be fit has come from -it’s bizarre. 

I’m with you. I’m fully expecting us to show good fitness levels. It’s something I’m looking forward too. Counter pressing and being aggressive in hunting the ball down 

You can question the reasons why we spent 2 weeks training 1000’s of miles away, but the perception that this was a jolly rather than a brutal workout in intense heat and humidity is probably a hangover from the old regime. We were chronically unfit and undercooked because of Rodgers negligence last season. That first game against Brentford was a disgrace, most were visibly blowing after 60 minutes

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

I’m with you. I’m fully expecting us to show good fitness levels. It’s something I’m looking forward too. Counter pressing and being aggressive in hunting the ball down 

You can question the reasons why we spent 2 weeks training 1000’s of miles away, but the perception that this was a jolly rather than a brutal workout in intense heat and humidity is probably a hangover from the old regime. We were chronically unfit and undercooked because of Rodgers negligence last season. That first game against Brentford was a disgrace, most were visibly blowing after 60 minutes

Yes, I think that’s it. It’s as if people assume that Maresca arrived in his office on his first day at Seagrave, opened a desk drawer and found a handwritten sheet of A4 titled ‘Brendan’s preseason fitness plan, July 2022’, and thought to himself, “That’ll do fine.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, southfox66 said:

It's good to know I'm not the only over 50 here that feel that the club have blown the potential of long term premier success, it's hard to get excited about the upcoming season, cause part  of me feels that we just shouldn't be here and sides like Fulham Brentford Wolves Brighton and even forest now enjoying better success than us. Even if we do get promoted we will  just be the Leicester of old where our main aim will be survival. when once we were playing European football or on the brink of it but I'd be very surprised if I'll ever see those days again.

All I would add in contrary to that last line, this may be the case but I’d say it’ll be more down to Newcastle creating a ‘rich 7’ and by default cleaning up the available European places (barring any having a shocking year like Chelsea and Spurs last year which let Brighton and Villa in). 

I think it’d be that rather than what we’ve done ourselves as whilst I can be quite cautious in nature, I do think that the Premier League is so weak now which makes it all the worse we went down. There’s so dross which is why about 12 teams are in genuine contention to go down at the start of the season. So those who say if we can go straight back up, we could be a level above being expected to go straight back down could be right. 

I doubt many teams outside of that 7 will get in Europe via the league any more. We probably need to re-establish ourselves and aim for some cups again.

3-1

We've got one of the inbreds best players, the other is now at Sporting Lisbon.

I wouldn't be so sure we are playing a well oiled Coventry team, I think we'll dominate but they are bound to create chances because Castagne, Faes & Vesty will be a cluster. 

But we'll still win and all the Coventry bottom feeders will tootle home with their 14 fingers.

I won’t be as positive in a couple of hours but one of the first things that I noticed from comments and some parts of pre-season, Enzo makes players get defensively into shape much quicker.

The amount of times our CB’s got exposed (Faes made a ton of school boy errors that I’m still fuming about) by lack of shape/goals when we didn’t get back into shape during a transition was criminal.

I’m also all here for a bit more of the dark arts, a cheeky pull back here or there….we were way too nice under Rodgers whole regime and Smith didn’t identify that at all.

7 minutes ago, jonny_wright said:

Lcfc selling out the KP about to show the championship we don’t belong there 💪🏼 it’s time to put a marker down and lead from the front this season, a new chapter is about to start 

I predict an Enzo in/out thread by halftime. 

• Haha 1

Having seen Southampton make Sheff Weds look like practice cones (nigh on 1000 passes away from home) i dont think we can be happy with anything other than a passionate, dominant passing performance where our class on the ball matches our workrate. We need to showhl a bit of the finishing class we have up front in Vardy, Kel and Daka aswell.

We will have a minimum of 8 full senior internationals in the line up and more on the bench...so have nothing to fear except our own mistakes.

Lets start as we mean to go on

And hopefully announce Casadei and Rak-Sakyi on the pitch, old school style....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

I won’t be as positive in a couple of hours but one of the first things that I noticed from comments and some parts of pre-season, Enzo makes players get defensively into shape much quicker.

The amount of times our CB’s got exposed (Faes made a ton of school boy errors that I’m still fuming about) by lack of shape/goals when we didn’t get back into shape during a transition was criminal.

I’m also all here for a bit more of the dark arts, a cheeky pull back here or there….we were way too nice under Rodgers whole regime and Smith didn’t identify that at all.

Faes and Vestergaard are not defenders to be able to get back in to position very quickly, so this will be a difficult watch at times. Unless he's some sort or wizard. I don't think I could pick a worse pairing out of all our defenders if I tried and yet here we are.

Maybe it'll work 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1