Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
An Away Move

Signing Mahrez would not have been possible post Brexit

42 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah, how did that affect our league vs Europe?

Err, we won the league recruiting players from Europe we wouldn't be able to now. Also our league can't now operate in the same way that continental European leagues can and that may make our league weaker in the long run. 

4 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

Err, we won the league recruiting players from Europe we wouldn't be able to now. Also our league can't now operate in the same way that continental European leagues can and that may make our league weaker in the long run. 

Our top league can operate way above those leagues with its financing. The Top clubs were largely unaffected.

• Like 1

Hopefully we take full advantage of the new rules which allow clubs to sign players that are not eligible for work permits and we can find the next Mahrez or Kante etc.

Although with seeing how we seemingly didn't try to take advantage of the work permit changes when it came to South American players, like other Prem clubs did, I wouldn't really be surprised if we didn't

Hopefully Enzo has a good look at Opoku over pre-season, although I still think him and Mueanta will end up on loan at Leuven for at least half the season

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Our top league can operate way above those leagues with its financing. The Top clubs were largely unaffected.

Who cares about the richest six and state sponsored clubs? The changes, I think, make it harder to 'do a Leicester' in future.

Edited by An Away Move

1 hour ago, An Away Move said:

Who cares about the richest six and state sponsored clubs? The changes, I think, make it harder to 'do a Leicester' in future.

You do when you were talking about the strength of the league vs European leagues ffs.

Isn’t top vs top how we compete with them? lol

10 hours ago, An Away Move said:

Interesting article in The Telegraph about the benefits of being able to buy two players in South America and Africa as ‘wildcards’ post Brexit. Balanced against how the post Brexit landscape would have also made it impossible for us to sign Mahrez as we did from Le Havre before we exited. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/18/the-brexit-benefit-change-premier-league-transfers/

Sö what..!!
We did. and the gates of history opened up fo us…

18 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

To be honest brexit will be beneficial to the English game plus other home nations too. We have quality coming through and that shouldn’t be nerfed  by foreign players, sorry… 

I would say - at least in my time watching football - the influx of European players to the PL in the 90s and 2000s benefited both the league and arguably the international team. 

• Like 3

On 25/06/2023 at 15:11, KingsX said:

Telegraph article notes that what football clubs could do before Brexit, but Brexit made illegal, has been tweaked to be possible for the first time since Brexit.

And touts this as a "Brexit benefit".

Even a Yank could see that one coming.

As already said in the thread the likes of the Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, etc are owned by billionaires who don't pay tax in this country. They don't run these newspapers to make a profit but to promote propaganda.

Unfortunately too many people believe that they have the country and peoples interest at heart when they're there to manipulate. Brexit just goes from one shitshow to the next but I may get a reply on this post from some idiot defending it. :yesyes:

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

excuse my ignorance but we signed Mahrez in 2014 and Brexit was 2016??? Am i missing something? Did we time travel?

Or are we simply saying Mahrez is our greatest ever foreign import

I think the argument is that a new Mahrez couldn't now be signed as we've left the EU, or something. Or it might be yet another excuse for a Brexit Wars thread. 

:claude:

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

excuse my ignorance but we signed Mahrez in 2014 and Brexit was 2016??? Am i missing something? Did we time travel?

Or are we simply saying Mahrez is our greatest ever foreign import

The end of freedom of movement was January 1st 2021. I'm glad someone was able to forget the seemingly never-ending 4-5 years during the negotiations period, which forced 2 elections.

Edited by Sampson

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/06/2023 at 15:39, Gerard said:

As already said in the thread the likes of the Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail, etc are owned by billionaires who don't pay tax in this country. They don't run these newspapers to make a profit but to promote propaganda.

Unfortunately too many people believe that they have the country and peoples interest at heart when they're there to manipulate. Brexit just goes from one shitshow to the next but I may get a reply on this post from some idiot defending it:yesyes:

…. or you might get a reply from someone who wholeheartedly agrees with you :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 26/06/2023 at 15:39, Gerard said:

Unfortunately too many people believe that they have the country and peoples interest at heart when they're there to manipulate. Brexit just goes from one shitshow to the next but I may get a reply on this post from some idiot defending it. :yesyes:

Or maybe EU membership affected other people's lives differently to yours. Does having a different perspective to you automatically make someone an idiot?

14 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

Or maybe EU membership affected other people's lives differently to yours. Does having a different perspective to you automatically make someone an idiot?

I'd be interested to know how our EU membership made anyone's lives on here worse...genuinely.

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

Can you blame Brexit over the cost of living crisis?

I asked this to someone earlier in-person and got hounded for suggesting it.

There's a case to be made that Brexit has made inflation worse due to labour shortages and UK businessess being less competitive therefore fuelling the cost of living crisis in the UK.  But Brexit alone isnt the only reason.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

The entire economy shutting down due to covid I would have thought has played some part.

55 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Sterling lost 15% the day after the vote and never recovered, we're big importers and instantly made everyone poorer. In 2007 we were as wealthy per capita as the Americans, in 2023 we were overtaken by Lithuania.

• Like 1