Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Joel Piroe

24 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I initially had no problem with the Piroe rumours, figuring he was capable of both replacing Iheanacho and also doing the Perez / Maddison narrow right side thing for an overlapping wing back. Decent options. 

Having seen how we're likely to line up, however, I'll now be pretty annoyed if we do target Piroe unless we're getting good money for all of Daka, Barnes and Nacho which seems unlikely. 

We are desperately going to need proper actual wide players on both the right and left to make this formation work. And I hope we do, it looks like a really exciting attacking line up.

But it has no need for conventional wing/full backs of which we have 5 and only needs one central striker of which we have 3 whilst needing probably 3 or 4 quality wingers of which we have (without Barnes) literally 0 currently. 

We need to get a wiggle on quite frankly and fvcking about with a central striker while Vardy, Daka and Nacho will all "do" (even if you think Piroe is an upgrade) would be pretty poor resource management. 

I think we will be looking at two high tens? 

So with a single attacker, and two players either side, that can either play as two high tens, or as traditional wingers, I think this due to @Sambiasso mentioning a few attacking options that we’re looking at, they seem capable of playing these roles. So, you would think then a striker like Piroe will work as he will have two attacking options supporting him. 

10 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think we will be looking at two high tens? 

So with a single attacker, and two players either side, that can either play as two high tens, or as traditional wingers, I think this due to @Sambiasso mentioning a few attacking options that we’re looking at, they seem capable of playing these roles. So, you would think then a striker like Piroe will work as he will have two attacking options supporting him. 

Narh, Piroe is very much a striker. The type of player you're thinking of is definitely a CM first and an attacker second. 

So in a traditional system, be it 442 or 433, the full backs work in tandem with the wingers to create overloads and overlaps down the wide areas to create problems for the opposition defence. 

What Pep shifted to last year after sacking off Cancelo was a shape in which the defenders largely just defend and the midfield has more licence to push up. So in possession, your left back tucks in to be a third CB, your right back pushes up narrow in to a sort of CDM role and it's your central midfielders that go out wider in to the channels to help the wingers create overlaps. 

That's how we've been lining up so far. Ricardo goes in to midfield and Doyle stays at CB, that then left Praet and KDH helping the wide players overload and almost playing as auxiliary wide players themselves at times. 

You'd describe them more as free 8s than actual 10s. What we want isn't really a deep lying forward a la, Piroe, we need an athletic CM that can get forward to mirror KDH and be a threat, hence the Casadei rumours. 

If we sign Piroe it's almost certainly to be an outright 9.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Merchant_Banker said:

Amad Diallo, Cole Palmer?

Yeah I don’t mind who but I’d rather we didn’t sign everyone on loan. We’ll end up with a huge rebuild again next summer even if we do go up. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

Yeah I don’t mind who but I’d rather we didn’t sign everyone on loan. We’ll end up with a huge rebuild again next summer even if we do go up. 

It’s a safe game to play. You loan players who you know will probably get you out of the division and then it allows you to properly refresh when you get back to the premier league. 

Certain positions we can sign players, other we will more than likely loan, in of the opinion that you can’t properly refresh in the championship because you just won’t attract the calibre of player you want in every position. We need to strike a good balance to get out of the league and leave enough room to be able to bring in targets if we go back up. 

What you don’t want is to go up with a load of players you need to shift on because you don’t actually think they can transition into the premier league. 

Then plan will be to get up and straight back to competing with the top ten again. 

22 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

This is my concern aswell with loans and be amazing if we are back up but also on the other hand i feel this is the opportunity to bed some incredible talent on a permanent for a season before making jump to the prem i guess we just need to trust the process and assume that if we think this then surely the Maresca and his team will be aware.

2 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

We're building, more signings are coming.

Getting Mads in before moving on Ward and/or Iversen shows this.

I'm highly doubtful we'll get Piroe due to the amount of clubs with contracts on the table. 

Swansea want a deal up to 15m Inc add ons.

Is ward the one most likely to move on? Is anyone actually interested? 

26 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It’s a safe game to play. You loan players who you know will probably get you out of the division and then it allows you to properly refresh when you get back to the premier league. 

Certain positions we can sign players, other we will more than likely loan, in of the opinion that you can’t properly refresh in the championship because you just won’t attract the calibre of player you want in every position. We need to strike a good balance to get out of the league and leave enough room to be able to bring in targets if we go back up. 

What you don’t want is to go up with a load of players you need to shift on because you don’t actually think they can transition into the premier league. 

Then plan will be to get up and straight back to competing with the top ten again. 

I'm pretty sure I've read a few pieces along the lines of it being (a) generally-speaking harder to win promotion with many loanees as first team regulars and (b) harder to stay up when you do. It'd be interesting for one of the more talented analysts on here to go over just how true either of those statements are (obviously I know Forest went up and survived with that strategy). Certainly, it hasn't worked for us in the past (the 2006-08 years, and 2010-12).

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I was about to write exactly the same. Piroe makes little sense unless we have a buyer for Iheanacho or at least 1 of our strikers. 

We really ought to focus on the areas of the pitch we are criminally weak and under resourced in (attacking midfield)

You say that as if the recruitment team are focussing on one transfer at a time or something!

Whatever you feel about certain members of the club, i think glover et al deserve some credit for knowing which areas need strengthening.  

Not saying going for piroe is right or wrong, but if we are pursuing him i'm sure its not just for the sakes of spunking 15M quid, and certainly it won't be at the expense of targeting attacking midfield players.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Even if we have a buyer for Nacho, I would reinvest that money in an actual winger. 

For me, good squad management starts with "two players for every position." Working under the assumption that Daka has only been playing LW to get him fitness in preseason and looking at the fact he's had zero credible rumours away I think it's safe to say Vardy is first choice and Daka will probably be second choice ST this year. 

That's strikers sorted. We don't need Piroe but we desperately need multiple wingers and probably another CM if the manager doesn't want Soumare. 

And I know we've needed wingers but "made do" over the last few years but this is completely different. The tactics are now completely different. Rodgers system could have used wingers yes but Maresca's relies on them. 

All well and good having two players for each position, but don't you feel that Vardy/Daka are the same type of striker, surely to have an option like Piroe gives us a different look, a different balance?

1 hour ago, Jakemoore said:

I think the mentality will be if they see a player they like, at the right price, they'll buy him; if not they'll go for a loan. It seems like they'd have preferred to buy Doyle, but had to settle for a loan.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

All well and good having two players for each position, but don't you feel that Vardy/Daka are the same type of striker, surely to have an option like Piroe gives us a different look, a different balance?

And how many wingers do we have currently?

Again, I'm not entirely against having versatility in the squad but I absolutely am hoping we take care of our needs before our wants. 

But honestly, no, it doesn't bother me that Daka and Vardy are similar. If anything, I'd probably celebrate it. In a 46 game league season I'd argue that having like-for-like backup to your Plan A is quite possibly preferable to having a Plan B. But then you're talking to someone that almost literally gets a migraine every time they read someone suggesting we should sign some big unit to lump it up to.

• Like 3

If we can get Piroe, we absolutely should. That's regardless of if we sell someone. In a years time we'll be down 1, likely 2 strikers, so missing out on Piroe now would look worse down the line. If Marseca thinks he fits his system.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

<==== this guy is where it was at

Certainly big but not so good at football. So called target men get a bad deal on here but they keep putting the ball in the net. It was even noticeable that Northampton usually out muscled our strikers. This geezer Piroe is no lightweight so he would give us something we definitely lack.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I like Nacho a lot but I'd prefer 4 years of Piroe to 1 year of Nacho.

Finally someone talking some sense in here. Get rid of anyone in their last year. Last season all over again 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

And how many wingers do we have currently?

Again, I'm not entirely against having versatility in the squad but I absolutely am hoping we take care of our needs before our wants. 

But honestly, no, it doesn't bother me that Daka and Vardy are similar. If anything, I'd probably celebrate it. In a 46 game league season I'd argue that having like-for-like backup to your Plan A is quite possibly preferable to having a Plan B. But then you're talking to someone that almost literally gets a migraine every time they read someone suggesting we should sign some big unit to lump it up to.

We all know we need wingers, but wingers (as we've proven) are traditionally much harder to find, and harder to acquire, so it's no surprise we're filling up other areas of need (ie pretty much every position) first.  So i don't think it's a case of wants before needs, it's a case of signing players when they become available - he's in high demand, we have to go in now, regardless of how few wingers we have. getting piroe is not going to make us stop looking for wingers.

I can't say i'm an expert on him, but i seem to have this idea of him scoring more goals out of nothing, from range, or from funny angles, ie more like the goals maddison used to get - i don't see him as a steve howard type big man.  And from the sound of it, he can play as a wide attacker in a front three, so theoretically he could fill at least one spot in that void.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I like Nacho a lot but I'd prefer 4 years of Piroe to 1 year of Nacho.

Bang on. And lets face it... same could be said for vardy. 

So that leaves us with daka... who our fans are largely unsure if he can even cut it in the championship. 

We have the opportunity to bed Piroe in... and id fully expect him to be our main #9 for many years to come.  

I think theres also a similar method to Maresca that Martin attempted... so there wouldnt be much time needed to adjust.  

13 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

We all know we need wingers, but wingers (as we've proven) are traditionally much harder to find, and harder to acquire, so it's no surprise we're filling up other areas of need (ie pretty much every position) first.  So i don't think it's a case of wants before needs, it's a case of signing players when they become available - he's in high demand, we have to go in now, regardless of how few wingers we have. getting piroe is not going to make us stop looking for wingers.

I can't say i'm an expert on him, but i seem to have this idea of him scoring more goals out of nothing, from range, or from funny angles, ie more like the goals maddison used to get - i don't see him as a steve howard type big man.  And from the sound of it, he can play as a wide attacker in a front three, so theoretically he could fill at least one spot in that void.

We need attacking midfielders as much as wingers, provably try and get players comfortable of playing out wide or centrally.

• Like 1