Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smig123

Thoughts on Transfer business ?

25 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I think to some degree potential buyers are 'gaming' us, as they know our predicament, know we need to rebuild, know we need cash from sales, so it just makes sense for buyers to wait until later in the window and drive prices down, or just low ball us.

Or have we grown used to (over?) inflating our sale prices, something that isn`t currently realistic?  :dunno:

Do agree though, you would have thought Castagne (despite the bile on here), Soumare and Faes, even Praet, would fetch some decent offers (Did not include Wilf as he is just weird currently)

In the past we've definitely asked for unreasonable fees for unwanted players. I'd hope we've learnt from last summers past mistakes in that regard. Praet, Ndidi and Iheanacho are all available for free next summer so we have to be realistic. Castagne should fetch £15m IMO, it's ridiculous.

• Like 1

Happy with the players brought in. Seem to be strategic rather than throwing a bunch of darts and seeing what sticks which is good.

The fees seem alarmingly high but I imagine that is in part down to how the top end of the Championship is now.

And I’m a bit concerned we are starting to look like our business will slow down due to trying for likely unattainable targets. Can’t fault the ambition of course but Casadei reportedly doesn’t want to be in the Championship. If true, move on. Palmer, likely to be in the Premier League or European top league. If the club are getting indications he does not intend to be in the Championship, move on. 

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

Happy with the players brought in. Seem to be strategic rather than throwing a bunch of darts and seeing what sticks which is good.

The fees seem alarmingly high but I imagine that is in part down to how the top end of the Championship is now.

And I’m a bit concerned we are starting to look like our business will slow down due to trying for likely unattainable targets. Can’t fault the ambition of course but Casadei reportedly doesn’t want to be in the Championship. If true, move on. Palmer, likely to be in the Premier League or European top league. If the club are getting indications he does not intend to be in the Championship, move on. 

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

The concept of getting in several top quality loans from Man City etc is fine on one hand, but if we are successful in promotion, then the concept could comeback and bite us. The loans may be outstanding players over the season, but they will all go at the end of it. How do we then replace these exceptional young talents ? We will have no assets to sell to fund new players. Instead of several loans should we be looking to buy the ‘Winks’ type of quality players which may develop into higher value assets ?

I know not everyone will agree but I'm quietly pleased with where we are. Unlike the past few years we've signed players who will actually improve our starting XI. 

We need to get rid of Barnes, get an 8 and a couple of wingers in and I think it'll have been a good window.  

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

We're getting there but I get the feeling this is what flat out at Leicester City looks like. 3 permanent signings and a loan on the back of a rebuild lol. Burnley got 16+ players in last year.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

We're getting there but I get the feeling this is what flat out at Leicester City looks like. 3 permanent signings and a loan on the back of a rebuild lol. Burnley got 16+ players in last year.

We will have at least another 4 players in I reckon, 2 wingers, an attacking mid, an possibly another Striker once Barnes is sold.

32 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

We will have at least another 4 players in I reckon, 2 wingers, an attacking mid, an possibly another Striker once Barnes is sold.

There's nothing stopping us pressing on with loans. When Barnes goes we have a past it Albrighton as our only senior winger. If we'd have landed say, Rak-Sayi on loan early on in the window, we'd have taken a hell of a lot of pressure off. We're bad and slow negotiators, it's an impressively bad combo.

Just now, Stadt said:

There's nothing stopping us pressing on with loans. When Barnes goes we have a past it Albrighton as our only senior winger. If we'd have landed say, Rak-Sayi on loan early on in the window, we'd have taken a hell of a lot of pressure off. We're bad and slow negotiators, it's an impressively bad combo.

Casadei we tried didn’t we for a loan but has gone with Chelsea. I imagine we want permanent signings for the wingers (Borges / Mavididi?)

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

Casadei we tried didn’t we for a loan but has gone with Chelsea. I imagine we want permanent signings for the wingers (Borges / Mavididi?)

I get that it isn't always going to work exactly to plan but we were extremely light on wingers, parent clubs would want their loans sorted early - sort the largest problem position by volume early. If we go into the tail end of the window needing 3 wingers - we won't get them.

We desperately need creativity now and we have 5 gks on the books at least 2 of them we wont be able to shift. Concerned we seem to be stacking areas that we didn’t have immediate concerns in (cb and gk).

4 minutes ago, Dames said:

We desperately need creativity now and we have 5 gks on the books at least 2 of them we wont be able to shift. Concerned we seem to be stacking areas that we didn’t have immediate concerns in (cb and gk).

We were lacking at CB to be fair. Evans, Soyuncu and Amartey have all left, leaving us with Souttar, Faes and Vestegaard. There will likely be an effort to move Vestergaard on, and Faes may still go. 

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

In the past we've definitely asked for unreasonable fees for unwanted players. I'd hope we've learnt from last summers past mistakes in that regard. Praet, Ndidi and Iheanacho are all available for free next summer so we have to be realistic. Castagne should fetch £15m IMO, it's ridiculous.

We negotiate horribly, @Dan LCFC and I always say this. We bought Castagne when he had a year left at Atalanta for c. £19m. It took us 3 weeks to make our first signing in January after we desperately needed players. Even then we spent c. £14m on Copenhagen's record sale, a teenage left back. We tried to squeeze a few million more out of Torino, didn't sell Praet, din't play him, paid his wages and we'll sell for an even lower fee now. We did the same for Soumare.

There's a lack of will and/or lots of incompetence at the club.

• Like 1

We have built what looks like a strong spine for this level with the four signings that we have made and the vision for how we want to play already looks clear. Those are the main positives. We really need a couple of quality attacking midfielders though. Hopefully we get those in as soon as possible. If Iheanacho leaves, we will need another striker but that isn't the main priority. We need a couple of quality attacking midfielders in time for the start of the season. The striker (if Iheanacho goes) can wait until the end of the window if needed. 

Guest Col city fan

I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me on the arse, but I’m happy with the transfer business so far.

Cody.. makes lots of sense. Experienced, good organiser.

The new keeper… I know nothing about but reputedly a good bit of business.

Winks… as I said when we were linked with him, He’ll be ok IF we can keep him fit. If not, he’ll be an expensive gamble.

Diallo… I’d love to see him here at City. 
Not sure if it’s enough though to bounce straight back up because I expect us to sell Barnes, Nacho and Castagne.

But it’s progress.

Really happy with the transfers in so far!

You can see that Maresca has a plan in place. 

For once i am actually really excited by our managerial appointment. He is looking to play football how it should be played. 

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

We negotiate horribly, @Dan LCFC and I always say this. We bought Castagne when he had a year left at Atalanta for c. £19m. It took us 3 weeks to make our first signing in January after we desperately needed players. Even then we spent c. £14m on Copenhagen's record sale, a teenage left back. We tried to squeeze a few million more out of Torino, didn't sell Praet, din't play him, paid his wages and we'll sell for an even lower fee now. We did the same for Soumare.

There's a lack of will and/or lots of incompetence at the club.

Yeah, we blend overpaying for players and expect others to do the same with us. The difference being, we go for players that are integral 1st team players but ask for stupid fees for players we want to get rid of. 

• Like 1