Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smig123

Thoughts on Transfer business ?

Looking at Glover’s work so far (alongside his scouts) I don’t know what his style is just yet. Khristiansen and Mads young and unknowns from the danish league. The rest though, Coady, Winks and Souttar are all signings we would’ve and could’ve made without him as HOR. Don’t get me wrong, all good signings as far as I am concerned but not really scouting.  Tete the left wing signing so far and Doyle well known to the manager.

it will be interesting to see what direction he takes now (again, alongside his scouts, the manager etc.) in filling out the squad. Forward players, which I think we will concentrate on now will be far more interesting. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes

5 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Looking a Glover’s work so far (alongside his scouts) I don’t know what his style is just yet. Khristiansen and Mads young and unknowns from the danish league. The rest though, Coady, Winks and Souttar are all signings we would’ve and could’ve made without him as HOR. Don’t get me wrong, all good signings as far as I am concerned but not really scouting.  Tete the left wing signing so far and Doyle well known to the manager.

it will be interesting to see what direction he takes now (again, alongside his scouts, the manager etc.) in filling out the squad. Forward players, which I think we will concentrate on now will be far more interesting. 

It maybe very early to say this, but I get the sense that Souttar and Kristiansen have not particularly impressed the various staff in the 1st team and the jury is very much out on Glover. His record in the past is hardly anything to write home about, but that might be the limitations of the clubs he's been at. Average at best.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It maybe very early to say this, but I get the sense that Souttar and Kristiansen have not particularly impressed the various staff in the 1st team and the jury is very much out on Glover. His record in the past is hardly anything to write home about, but that might be the limitations of the clubs he's been at. Average at best.

I think Glovers reputation is enhanced by Football Manager. 

Looking through his previous work, it’s hardly screams world class. 

I think we’re slowly putting a team together now though. Only time will tell on that.

6 hours ago, Sly said:

I think Glovers reputation is enhanced by Football Manager. 

Looking through his previous work, it’s hardly screams world class. 

I think we’re slowly putting a team together now though. Only time will tell on that.

Didn’t we headhunt Glover?  Or was it simply a reference from Walsh Snr?

The business so far tells suggests Enzo has done his homework, he has shored up the defence / centre of the park where last season we buckled under pressure from opposition attacks.

He has also brought players in who fit the particular style of play he wants to follow.

I hope and expect we next move for an attacking midfielder to replace the assists provided by Madders.

• Like 1

What will be interesting is how many of this summers signings are genuine Glover recommendations, or if Maresca is working closely with the recruitment team and analysts to review data and there has been a change in profile and targets since he arrived to suit what is a very specific system and style of play. 

Also in regard to transfers, it looks like the current strategy has been to reinvest 50% of what we bring in. Pretty much £22.5m spent so far of the Madders fee which was circa £45m and then 500k loan fee for Doyle which will have come from the George Hirst sale. 

With that in mind I would expect the sale of Barnes hopefully finalised this week to release a further £20m and then if we can move on some of the deadwood/fringe players and ones likely to move on for free in 12 months like Ward, Iversen, Castagne, Soumare, Praet, Ndidi et al and raise another £50-60m this could give us a further £25-30m to reinvest. 

On 18/07/2023 at 08:00, Fazzer 7 said:

Problem is though, Vardy, sadly is a spent force and Daka isn't very good. So it's all on Nacho, if he stays. I just feel scoring goals could be our achilles heel. 

I think Vardy will score 15 + goals this season new manager, "easier" opposition. 

I think we only need a new striker if Nacho goes

Other than those that were out of contract, we haven't sold anyone apart from Barnes and Maddison. We've an abundance of players that should have been moved on last year nevermind now after relegation, and yet they remain. We needed a proper refresh, what we've done so far is half arsed.

Players that need to go - Ward/Iversen/Smithies, Albrighton, Iheanacho, Daka, Soumare, Vestergaard, Ndidi, Praet, Choudhury, Castagne.

We've got 5 goalkeepers and 1 winger for christ sake. Sell this lot whilst they still attract fees and bring in replacements and players in positions we need, preferably those that are on the up, what we used to do when we were a club on the up and improving year after year. Desperate for some creativity and pace but now we're swanning off to Thailand with none of that.

• Like 1

We are still struggling moving deadwood on. Last season went to complete pants and one thing we can point at, is too many players running contracts down. Now we have quite a few running out of contract again and I was hoping we had learned something. 

On 19/07/2023 at 06:00, Claudio Fannieri said:

What will be interesting is how many of this summers signings are genuine Glover recommendations, or if Maresca is working closely with the recruitment team and analysts to review data and there has been a change in profile and targets since he arrived to suit what is a very specific system and style of play. 

Also in regard to transfers, it looks like the current strategy has been to reinvest 50% of what we bring in. Pretty much £22.5m spent so far of the Madders fee which was circa £45m and then 500k loan fee for Doyle which will have come from the George Hirst sale. 

With that in mind I would expect the sale of Barnes hopefully finalised this week to release a further £20m and then if we can move on some of the deadwood/fringe players and ones likely to move on for free in 12 months like Ward, Iversen, Castagne, Soumare, Praet, Ndidi et al and raise another £50-60m this could give us a further £25-30m to reinvest. 

Exactly this, which is smart business long term as well as it doesn’t mean we have to fully bank on promotion year 1. 

I think like others have said there is a fine line between selling your players for way below market value, which makes you weak in negotiating any further sales, to selling for a realistic lower fee.  

24 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

We are still struggling moving deadwood on. Last season went to complete pants and one thing we can point at, is too many players running contracts down. Now we have quite a few running out of contract again and I was hoping we had learned something. 

Character scouting is ****ing woeful at the minute. I’d be embarrassed if I were Vestergaard for example

1 hour ago, Jonezy said:

What’s the solution though? The reason we can’t move our deadwood on is because other clubs won’t/can’t match their wages.

Only option to get rid of them at the moment is to pay them out or pay a share of their wages whilst they go on loan.

Maybe that’s what we end up doing, I dunno. But feels a bit premature when it’s only mid-July...

Trying to move on highly paid Deadwood is akin to climbing Everest in flip-flops.

We will have players here that are not even named in the 25 man Squad hanging around until they have to leave. 

All we can do is, hope that the DoF has leant from the past and numerous recruitment car crashes.

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Trying to move on highly paid Deadwood is akin to climbing Everest in flip-flops.

We will have players here that are not even named in the 25 man Squad hanging around until they have to leave. 

All we can do is, hope that the DoF has leant from the past and numerous recruitment car crashes.

Somebody like Vestegaard has a year left on his contract, surely someone would pay an equivalent transfer fee to what that year of wages is for him?

On 17/07/2023 at 17:25, Phenom said:

We have 3 strikers. Unless someone goes, doubt we bring anyone in. Definitely need wingers.

Get rid of a CB for a striker 4 strikers is best balance in squad and we are CB heavy. (we seem to be constantly bringing in CB's).

Buy the Swansea striker Piroe

47 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Somebody like Vestegaard has a year left on his contract, surely someone would pay an equivalent transfer fee to what that year of wages is for him?

No idea but you would think so.

2 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Yes, but they might not then pay vestegaard what we were paying him so he turns down the move and waits a year on his pretty salary. Then increases his wages in his next gig as he signs on a free. 

37 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Nah....that's peanut money..... he's worth at least 25m minimum 

Maybe not with his contract situation. Don’t Manchester City get a slice as well? 

Edited by Sly
  • Like 1

the concern is starting to kick in for me. 

Doesn’t seem like we are going to be able to shift a lot of players the club probably thought we would.. with the most likely outcome deadline week loans. 

There are huge gaps in the creativity in the side but the players we seem to be targeting… whilst very promising names seem complex deals.  With such little time left it’s looking incredibly unlikely we will get to bed any new additions into the side.  

I like the sound of mavidi but coming from ligue 1 we know that the time to adapt can take an age, can we really expect him to hit the ground running after possibly just 1 pre-season game and one where we will just be hammered all game. 

casadei, diallo palmer, giles and even piroe all seem like they have huge blocks and aren’t looking so positive right now. 

So it leaves us looking in the b pool, which let’s face it… hasn’t been somewhere the club has excelled in recent times. 

with vardy and coady now also injured and not enough warm ups in the tank… the early confidence is starting to wane for me. Especially when looking at the strength of some of our rivals. 

• Like 4

Let's be honest, take the blue tinted specs off and it's been very depressing. Hardly a surprise, but our best players have gone and the deadwood remains. The incomings look fine on paper for a championship team, but it'll be their commitment to the cause that will determine if they're actually decent purchases. 

• Like 2