Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smig123

Thoughts on Transfer business ?

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

To be honest I expected the squad to be very fluid right up to the wire.

Ditto. So far so good but I think there's still a number of permutations to be played out; 'if this then that' scenarios that will arise as time passes and be resolved (or not) 

We're balancing finances with squad requirements and I reckon this means that everyone has a price tag that, if met, will cause other actions to come into play. The recruitment team have probably got a zillion different plans of action mapped out according to who's next out. A very fluid situation indeed. 

• Like 2

Only dawned on me last night, that the season starts in 13 days! We've got a hell of a lot of business left to do - not that it needs to all be done for next Sunday - though, in an ideal world, it would be.

Going to take time for the squad to gel, so fully expect a slow start. I can't quite believe how quickly it's creeped up on us, or if it's just me that forgot, or last track, of where we were at. But yeah, made me realise we still have to do a fair bit of business, so things needs to happen now.

19 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

And we're severely lacking in wingers and attacking players

image.png.8abefd47c41dbe26cb71537dbd3929a2.png

Just shows how weak and imbalanced our squad is with less than two weeks until the season starts. Add to that the poor preseason preparation and it doesn't instill confidence for a good start. Robins and Warnock must be rubbing their hands together with delight. :(

Just now, Ric Flair said:

As it stands, the squad is an absolute travesty if we want to create and score goals. We're up against it to get the necessary in's and outs done by the end of August.

It seems everything's ground to a halt whilst they all prat about in Thailand and Singapore for 2 weeks.

Buckle in, the next 5 weeks are going to be pure frustration. No chance we get 6-7 players out and 4-5 in.

That fact we have the same number of goalkeepers currently, as attacking third players is just :matty:

• Like 3

People will argue that we have 5 1/2 weeks not 1 1/2 due to transfer window. Looking at fixtures that’s 4 league games plus the cup game to play with a “not ready” squad and I’d add the Hull game on the 2nd September as being a day after deadline it’s unlikely deadline day arrivals could feature. And for it all to gel, much longer than that. That’s presuming we get the business done, this is the club who were forced to field Andy King for half a season after faxing up the Silva deal. We could be winger-less and AM-less whilst stuck with jog around Soumare and liability Vestergaard.

The rebuild is a longer term issue than 5 or 6 matches, I’d agree, it won’t be complete in 1 window anyway, it’s just a frustration of the false season start we’ll have.
Is every other club in the same boat though? Probably not as we have a unique rebuild, even Southampton and Leeds can’t claim there’s is as complex as we have more sellable assets capable of playing higher.

I wouldn’t say we’ll forfeit those opening fixtures but just like the training drill sessions at home to Man City and Arsenal and the amateur hour Un-coached s**t show that was Bournemouth we’ll be charged full price for entry and expected to happy clap how great it is to be back….despite the squad probably not being ready, gelled, fluent, balanced, cohesive etc. We don’t own a fit AM and start in 11 days! 

One argument for the Window not closing before season kick off is that this allows you to see where you’re short and gauge some of the wider squad as to who might step up and be comfortable. If we leave out any who want to be elsewhere but are still here, the right thing to do, we’ll be even thinner. A pencil and paper can reveal we have 1 senior winger and next to no creativity or goal threat beyond our 3 CF’s,

it’s the long game vs the short term but if you lose a few early games, fall behind in the table and lose any confidence it could be regrettable but it’s the position the club put themselves in with last seasons gross underachievement. 

• Like 1

Put it this way, the club never exceed expectations on transfer business. 

For an operation that was lauded for being the best at it (a little unwarranted IMO) we are a far cry from then. We just cannot move players on, you'd have thought by now we'd have conceded that it's us that's the problem. We demand unrealistic fees for fringe players. So rather than lower the price and possibly have to look at value for money incomings ourselves, we would rather keep making the same mistakes and then let the players we've failed to sell go for free.

I wouldn't mind if the wages they were on, were below market average and therefore, keeping these players for as long as possible instead of replacing them with players on invetivably higher wages. However we know that's not the case, we've paid a lot of this lot way more than we ought to have.

Praet, Ndidi, Vestergaard, Choudhury, Iheanacho, Ward, Iversen, Albrighton should all be available for a nominal fee. Just get them gone.

• Like 4

Player Wages / Week Wages / Year Transfer Fee  
Amartey £45,000 £2,340,000 £0  
Perez £50,000 £2,600,000 £0  
Tielemans £100,000 £5,200,000 £0  
Soyuncu £35,000 £1,820,000 £0  
Bertrand £80,000 £4,160,000 £0  
Evans £100,000 £5,200,000 £0  
Mendy £55,000 £2,860,000 £0  
Hurst £20,000 £1,040,000 £1,400,000  
Barnes £80,000 £4,160,000 £38,000,000  
Maddison £110,000 £5,720,000 £40,000,000  
Total £630,000 £32,760,000 £79,400,000  
Player Wages / Week Wages / Year Transfer Fee  
Winks £60,000 £3,120,000 £10,000,000  
Coady £60,000 £3,120,000 £8,000,000  
Doyle £15,000 £780,000 £0  
Hermansen £30,000 £1,560,000 £6,000,000  
Total £165,000 £8,580,000 £24,000,000 Total
Difference £465,000 £24,180,000 £55,400,000 £79,580,000

We have saved a small fortune in wages and transfer fees I’d imagine at the moment. 

Not sure what the drop in operating profit will be dropping from the Premier league, however I’d say commercial sales like season tickets, corporate etc will be the same. 

It is TV revenue where we will suffer, however at the moment, everything points to us having more room to play with. 

This also doesn’t take account of any salary reductions for the remaining squad. 

We could have the highest wage bill of any Championship squad ever, even after all of our sales. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Put it this way, the club never exceed expectations on transfer business. 

For an operation that was lauded for being the best at it (a little unwarranted IMO) we are a far cry from then. We just cannot move players on, you'd have thought by now we'd have conceded that it's us that's the problem. We demand unrealistic fees for fringe players. So rather than lower the price and possibly have to look at value for money incomings ourselves, we would rather keep making the same mistakes and then let the players we've failed to sell go for free.

I wouldn't mind if the wages they were on, were below market average and therefore, keeping these players for as long as possible instead of replacing them with players on invetivably higher wages. However we know that's not the case, we've paid a lot of this lot way more than we ought to have.

Praet, Ndidi, Vestergaard, Choudhury, Iheanacho, Ward, Iversen, Albrighton should all be available for a nominal fee. Just get them gone.

Iheanacho?

So you want the only decent player left in the squad gone?

On 25/07/2023 at 13:06, CosbehFox said:

Midfield lacking big time. Outside of KDH, no player is capable or shown the characterises to go past the striker/no 9

The more I mull on it. The more this annoys me. 

We knew Maddison was leaving regardless of staying up or not. So we’ve had some time to work out a no.10 type player who can play on the wing. Winks replaces Tielemans fair dues. 

The midfield had/has been dysfunctional for 18 months. We just couldn’t get up and down the pitch - either exposed in transition or the striker would be isolated. 

Really hope there’s a signing made there in time for Cov

On 25/07/2023 at 13:10, fleshdaddy said:

Only dawned on me last night, that the season starts in 13 days! We've got a hell of a lot of business left to do - not that it needs to all be done for next Sunday - though, in an ideal world, it would be.

Going to take time for the squad to gel, so fully expect a slow start. I can't quite believe how quickly it's creeped up on us, or if it's just me that forgot, or last track, of where we were at. But yeah, made me realise we still have to do a fair bit of business, so things needs to happen now.

It's amazing what difference a extra week (for the PL) can feel like innit? :P 

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

As it stands, the squad is an absolute travesty if we want to create and score goals. We're up against it to get the necessary in's and outs done by the end of August.

It seems everything's ground to a halt whilst they all prat about in Thailand and Singapore for 2 weeks.

Buckle in, the next 5 weeks are going to be pure frustration. No chance we get 6-7 players out and 4-5 in.

Loan market is about to get abused…