Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smig123

Thoughts on Transfer business ?

Pleased with the business so far, in the knowledge that we undoubtedly are lacking in the creativity department. Still a month to go.

I have no doubt we’ll sign some flair merchants, but I hope the players we end up with are, or as close to, the main targets that we can get, and we haven’t pratted around putting our eggs in one basket for the past month, while other perfectly good players have been snapped up by other teams, leaving us shopping in the bargain bin on deadline day. That’s my big worry

• Like 1

On 23/07/2023 at 22:43, Gazza M said:

Still far too many players involved in and around the club that don't want to be here in my opinion. 

Faes, Castagne, Praet, Choudhury, Iheanacho, Ward, Vesty

Are they putting in a shift to grind out a result any time soon? 

Ward and Vestergaard definitely want to be here. They are pulling monster wages for nothing - they want to stay as long as they can

I'm beginning to get concerned.

Things like this are starting to creep in, it's becoming more and more apparent this isn't the prep he wanted and the squad isn't in the place or shape it should be. 

I worry we could be in trouble. 

I was hopeful all the Thai insta posts were just showing off the area, but I'm now concerned we aren't doing enough 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Things like this are starting to creep in, it's becoming more and more apparent this isn't the prep he wanted and the squad isn't in the place or shape it should be. 

I was hopeful all the Thai insta posts were just showing off the area, but I'm now concerned we aren't doing enough 

Southampton Manger saying very similar things and they have less upheaval than us. It’s just the nature of the early season. It’s ridiculous the window overlaps the season imo. Also, it’s going to take multiple windows to complete the rebuild and I’m sure Maresca knows that.

Edited by FoxesWalk

56 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Needs to gel and click soonish after we start or could lose the momentum and expectation that's been slowly building.

Just don't understand how signing creative, attacking players seems so incredibly difficult for us. 

Creative, attacking players are always at a premium. Every club needs them & the clubs selling them want top dollar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

He's the only one left who can score and create, look at the goals last season. If you take away every goal that was either scored or assisted by Maddison, Barnes, TIelemans or Iheanacho, What are we left with?

If you can only get £15 million for him , you'd be better off keeping him. His figures are unbelievable, he's proven it at premier league level.

For £15 million there's no way you get a player anywhere near Iheanacho's goals and assists.

If we get promoted, he might sign a new contract anyway.

Players like Iheanacho don't come along to teams like us very often.

We should of built a team around him, not sat him on the bench.

I love Iheanacho, but I cannot stomach more players run their contract down and leave for nothing. Get him gone and get some wingers and attacking players in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

He'll be gone by October when we are lower mid table and it'll not be his fault.

Que the return of Dean Smith. 

Book it. 

• Like 1

Absolutely agree that we're going to be significantly under prepared for the Cov game. 

It's all been said but lack of transfer activity, pre season shambles, a new system of play which will baffle a lot of our players etc is a real concern 

I'm starting to have concerns about Maresca - I hope I'm wrong but I'm getting Martin Allan flashbacks. 

He doesn't seem to have much of an idea of what's going on (What player? never hear of him - well you're the favourite to sign him) - Top seems to have steam rollered him with this ridiculous Thai / Singapore trip 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I love Iheanacho, but I cannot stomach more players run their contract down and leave for nothing. Get him gone and get some wingers and attacking players in.

I get your point, but I'd make an exception with Iheanacho. He's worth more to us than what we'd get for him

You've only got to play him and he'd get you 20 goals, not to mention the assists. Every chance his 20 goals get us promoted and he might just want to stay with a new manager and a good season behind him.

As for not stomaching players running their contracts down, I think you're in for a pretty sick spell.

Ward, Vestergaard, Albrighton, Choudhury and Vardy will all run their contracts down.

This may also be the case with Praet, Ndidi and Castagne. Unless we let them go for nominal fees.

There's not a single squad member we've bought that we won't make a loss on by selling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, messerschmitt said:

I get your point, but I'd make an exception with Iheanacho. He's worth more to us than what we'd get for him

You've only got to play him and he'd get you 20 goals, not to mention the assists. Every chance his 20 goals get us promoted and he might just want to stay with a new manager and a good season behind him.

As for not stomaching players running their contracts down, I think you're in for a pretty sick spell.

Ward, Vestergaard, Albrighton, Choudhury and Vardy will all run their contracts down.

This may also be the case with Praet, Ndidi and Castagne. Unless we let them go for nominal fees.

There's not a single squad member we've bought that we won't make a loss on by selling.

We shouldn't make an exception for anyone. There is lots of talk about Kels delivering a ton of goals, but its a huge assumption. Nobody knows how running his contract down will affect his performances towards the end of the season. We don't know how motivated he will be for a cause that largely becomes meaningless to him if/when he has sorted his next move out. He's hardly been banging in goals during pre season (although that is unfair with our sh** show of a preseason so far).

I think like most i'd have liked a few more in and out.

But, because more haven't left yet, we're going into the first game with some very good players for this level, I think if they can see us through August and get us off to a strong start, then their replacements get the two week International break in September to settle in, we'll be fine. 

Chances are any replacements will be getting minutes for their existing clubs too so should be fit and raring to go. 

It's not ideal, but it would be much worse if we'd lost 15 players without any replacements.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I think like most i'd have liked a few more in and out.

But, because more haven't left yet, we're going into the first game with some very good players for this level, I think if they can see us through August and get us off to a strong start, then their replacements get the two week International break in September to settle in, we'll be fine. 

Chances are any replacements will be getting minutes for their existing clubs too so should be fit and raring to go. 

It's not ideal, but it would be much worse if we'd lost 15 players without any replacements.

Completely agree with this, would help massively if we could get a few in and out but like you say we'll have some very good players for this level if we don't until the end of the window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

We shouldn't make an exception for anyone. There is lots of talk about Kels delivering a ton of goals, but its a huge assumption. Nobody knows how running his contract down will affect his performances towards the end of the season. We don't know how motivated he will be for a cause that largely becomes meaningless to him if/when he has sorted his next move out. He's hardly been banging in goals during pre season (although that is unfair with our sh** show of a preseason so far).

Have to agree with this. We were relegated largely in part because there were players that have had their eyes on moves away for a while. 

If they have a year left and aren't signing we need to be selling, we cannot get caught out like this again. 

I would have preferred more out by now so we could have used the much needed money to get in more of the players we may have identified.

However it is what it is, and any money raised by Sept 1st can be used in January when any weaknesses in the Team will have been noted.

Edited by Chico1958

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Deal

So if he's gone before the 31st of October 2023 you win, still here after that I win.

Hopefully you win but i'm concerned he's been in the job just over a month and he's already making sly comments on transfers, clearly things aren't happening the way he was promised.