Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smig123

Thoughts on Transfer business ?

Keeping Castagne and Daka around really wouldn't be a bad thing in terms of quality, just wages/their own happiness at the club in question. 

Also think Soumare would be decent as back-up to Winks at this level, but think he's likely to go on loan to France and again, same issues as the two former mentioned. Souttar I'm not bothered about either way, personally. Vestergaard and Coady are clearly ahead of him in the manager's view and that's the only role I could see him play in this system. 

Thomas should sign a one-year extension and go on loan to another Championship side. It would make the window a 7/10 for me if all that happened now was Thomas and Souttar leave on loan and we sign a RW on loan. 

Edited by Pete52

The problem with that article is that it says those players we want to sell will be needed if they aren’t 

that’s not the message we should be sending out and it’s certainly not what enzo is saying by leaving them out of squads completely 

leaving them out of first team training would suppress their value even more so I get why he hasn’t done that yet 

but I reckon that come September he might do that to show his annoyance - then it would be onto January and if we are still in the top 2 then the board will continue to play hard ball on fees/ bonus’ 

I’ll wait till the end of the month before going doolally - just in case there is a master plan …..

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's really got to me, it's happening again. FFS

Yep - ruined my morning that has- it means we are still an absolute shambles behind the scenes and have learnt nothing- not a jot from last season- sack the lot of them- pathetic

The approach is going to have to change going forwards. I think in the past we've used big wages to keep players or attract those we thought would be better than they have been. Part of this is down to overperforming and having to bump up salaries, but there is a big dose of mismanagement in there. Definitely need to recognise when to shift players on now, and that may mean losing players at the peak of their power.

I don't think we'll get to the perfect squad situation by next week, it was always a greater task than one window could accomplish, and I think those who potentially would be reintroduced could still prove useful - but expecting we'll have some movement this week both in and out. And overall the squad should be looking in decent, if imperfect, shape by then.

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

"we'll be fine"

20230823_120715.jpg

In other words Maresca knows we need more yet those above still think it'll all magically be OK.

He will eventually sack us off. I'm convinced of it. I wonder if that will make people realise what we're actually dealing with - although the fact relegation and an unprecedented depreciation in squad value hasn't so maybe there really is no getting through at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

In other words Maresca knows we need more yet those above still think it'll all magically be OK.

He will eventually sack us off. I'm convinced of it. I wonder if that will make people realise what we're actually dealing with - although the fact relegation and an unprecedented depreciation in squad value hasn't so maybe there really is no getting through at all.

Absolutely. His mentality and Rudkins are poles apart. The owner has to choose between them and we all know which way that goes. 

Get rid of at least 3 including Castagne, Daka and Soumare and get another 4 in to cover these positions including a forward, a right winger and a centre back and it'll have been an excellent start to getting the squad we need 

There mustn't be any complacent in that we think we have the squad to go back straight up now because I think we're still at least 2 / 3 players short 

• Like 1

I think we have to be patient and trust the club on this. 

It's obvious we need to get players out before bringing those players already lined up in.

But it would be completely reckless to just pay off those players and release them or accept the first low ball offer we receive. We have to get some return, and we've probably got some kind of target or limit, whether it be for each player or in total ins/outs and wage cost. 

We may suddenly see some movement, a sale agreed, but I think it will inevitably go down to the wire and it will probably be a busy deadline day. I just hope Rudkin has sorted out the overtime cover in his recruitment admin team and refilled the fax machine with paper!

5 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

It's obvious we need to get players out before bringing those players already lined up in.

But it would be completely reckless to just pay off those players and release them or accept the first low ball offer we receive. We have to get some return, and we've probably got some kind of target or limit, whether it be for each player or in total ins/outs and wage cost. 

We may suddenly see some movement, a sale agreed, but I think it will inevitably go down to the wire and it will probably be a busy deadline day. I just hope Rudkin has sorted out the overtime cover in his recruitment admin team and refilled the fax machine with paper!

Not sure I agree, its about cutting losses at this point and making space for new faces.

If needs be let someone go for no fee, pay half their wages or whatever, its still better than paying players who are not wanted at the club.  This I think is the problem, their is a mentality problem from the club's upper management on the asset value of undesirable players.

This also affects progression of the club, next summer, potential loss of promotion, squad harmony etc.

Edited by Chrysalis

On 28/06/2023 at 17:45, Nalis said:

Big thing for me is getting a move on with our transfers early doors instead of leaving our transfer action far too late last season and paying the price, assuming the three you've mentioned go through soon.

Two months on and I wasnt expecting next to fook all happening.

On 15/08/2023 at 18:31, Dan LCFC said:

I stress, what we have signed, I am happy with. There just needs to be more. We need a minimum of two wingers and another attacking midfielder.

You’re missing the most important position of all we need to strengthen! A striker!!!!! 

We need to focus on some exits really.  4-6 players need to leave, mostly to benefit the dynamic of the club and the way Enzo wants to play.  Replace with a couple of loans with option to buy if promoted.  I also think a smaller squad would be better with some faith in youth (as he has shown).

I think it’ll end up being a good window in terms of evolving the squad.  Fees? Not sure.

Listen, this is still a results game. The manager must get frustrated when deals for players who are not wanted, just come to nothing. If we aren't successful this year fingers will be pointed at the manager and not some suit in the boardroom. Give him the tools to work with.

14 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

Upper echelons can't be trusted that is the issue

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Not sure I agree, its about cutting losses at this point and making space for new faces.

If needs be let someone go for no fee, pay half their wages or whatever, its still better than paying players who are not wanted at the club.  This I think is the problem, their is a mentality problem from the club's upper management on the asset value of undesirable players.

This also affects progression of the club, next summer, potential loss of promotion, squad harmony etc.

I get what you're saying, it's frustratingly turgid waiting for any movent we all know we need.

But I don't think you can just torch all the value, and wages owed, to those players. If they can't be sold then better out on loan, which is almost certainly what will happen, albeit possibly very late in the window.

When you say the players are not wanted at the club, I think it depends on their cicumstances. Those that want away, and those that Maresca doesn't see fitting in.

Some of the players we are talking about can be reintegrated back into the squad. That might not be desirable for all. Ultimately the player will make the decision on whether they move or not, and may have to accept a wage reduction if they are desperate to get away, or the club may end up paying part of their wages.

You're probably right about the club mentality to some extent, but there has to be some poker play on these deals to get at least some value back if we can. As long as they do, and do make the deals, then il impatiently accept that.  We'll see! 

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's really got to me, it's happening again. FFS

What's even more sickening is you can guarantee they'll be a load of told you so's if we do get by with this squad. As if it'll be some kind of achievement by this utterly contemptuous bunch of *****. Whelan is probably already booking the spread, and strippers for Cuckdkin

Our most saleable and least likely to play in the championship assets: Barnes and Maddison went early because they are good lads and clearly worked with the club for a mutually agreeable outcome, rather than waiting on trade up offers (particularly Maddison who could have got Man City if he'd have waited all month to see how the start of the season injuries panned out).

Players in the £5 - £20m bracket; Soumare, Castagne, Ward, Souttar, Daka, Kristiansen are all clearly not first choice picks for other clubs and so things are more protracted. The fact we have isolated them from the matchday squad is good text book behaviour as 1 bad apple can screw up the planning for Enzo. this is why players like Vestergaard and Choudhury are picking up the slack in the meantime, despite being not as good as some of the 'for sale' assets. 

I have no doubt that ideally we'd have 5 or 6 on the list above GONE and £60m+ in the back pocket. We could then move on the 4 or 5 targets we have made up of loan and £5-10m outlays. 

The fact we have Hermansen, Coady, Winks, Doyle, Mavididi, Casadei through the door BEFORE all that is testament to the club and the clarity of what was needed. namely a SPINE to the team that could galvanize what remained. Enzo bought in a good international spine of quality players from goalkeeper through centre back and centre mid while retaining Iheanacho and Vardy as goal threat. If we had started with Iversen, Soumare, Souttar maybe we wouldn't be 4 from 4 and adopting the new style of play so fully as we are....

I'll be happy if we finish the window and still have Souttar and Kristiansen. who aren't favoured. but have moved on Soumare, Ward, Iversen, Castagne in order to bring in wingers. We will be 70% of the way through operation deadwood and will still be able to call on two good back up players.

Edited by FosseSpark