Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smig123

Thoughts on Transfer business ?

This window reminds me of Arteta's first transfer window at Arsenal after leaving Man City as assistant coach.

He signed Wilian: proven player looking to drop down a level, Cedric Soares: experienced player, Pablo Mari: player who arteta had worked with before, Gabriel: talented young player and Partey: big money signing at the top of his game. Maresca is looking to sign Harry Winks: proven player looking to drop down a level, Coady: experienced player, Zac Steffen: player he has worked with before.

As we know that first transfer window was a disaster for Arteta and he was bailed out by young talent already available at the club, only Gabriel and Partey were good signings. I'm worried that we will experience the same fate and not have the secure promotion to the PL that the proven and experienced players in Winks and Coady are supposed to provide us. There's a good chance that these players dont dominate the championship like we expect them to.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I’ve probably asked three times now. People are vehemently claiming that Winks is a Premiership standard player. But is he? He’s not played much for yonks has he?

What is he like now? A concrete question which just needs a proper answer, rather than the usual cobblers.

I’m hoping he’s a very good Championship player because that’s the league we’re in. 

• Like 1

Winks has always struck me as an energetic player which will work well in the way we think maresca wants to play.

coady is the cool calm influence with experience who can also pass our from the back.

2 solid signings to start if we pull them off, no to add the flair players and ones who will get assists/goals galore in championship! 

I'm gonna do something radical and not write off any signing before I see them play.

If you think signings are unexciting before they play then I've got two words for you Robert Huth  

And BTW I wish Maddison every best wish in his career. If we sold every player for double we paid then we would have more cash to burn than Man City

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

I'm quite happy so far with the manager and the players we have been heavily linked with.

but there Seems to be a lot of whinging and moaning about every player that we are linked with so far. I find it quite irritating and I reckon 3 things are at play here. 

1. People are failing to acknowledge that we are in the championship. It really shouldnt need saying but the standard isn't as good as the Premier league and the standard of player we can realistically attract isn't as good. 

2. Football snobbery... some foxestalkers have got a subscription to bt sport and disappeared up their own backsides seeing themselves as some sort of amateur European football scouts. Names like Coady aren't obscure or glamorous enough for them. These are the experts that lauded tete and we're up in arms when we were linked with Akanji, it's worth reminding them how important a signing Wes Morgan was at 28 having spend his whole career in the championship and leauge 1.

3. People still angry about last season, they see the club as being terribly run and can't can't bring themselves to show any positivity or even balance about the clubs business this summer. 

Post of the week - spot on!!

No one has a bad word to say about Coady - in terms of leadership he’s a massive upgrade on Evans 

Winks needs to restart his career and will want to prove himself again - he got close to the England squad quite early on. He’s no Maddison but hes a quarter the price  and he’ll provide a damn sight more energy than Youri and Wilf could summon last season ..

• Thanks 2

Very early days. Looks like Madders has been let go early so that we can start re-investing that fee, hence the £40m fee, which is on the lower side. 

Still expect Barnes will depart for similar price, but that may go on for a while, as I see a few teams throwing £25/30m bids in. 

Evans should go too, as well as Soumare, N'didi and a handful more. Please somehow get Ward out! 

I'd actually like Vardy to move on now. Adore him, but age has really caught up with him over the last 12 months. 

Personally, very pleased with Coady and Winks, BUT they have to be joined with a handful of young, exciting players too. It is all about getting the balance right. 

I expect we will see loan deals for a few Man City players, and 1 or 2 players joining on permanents from elsewhere. 

All in all, very early days, with lots of activity to come, but certainly off to a good start. 

Most importantly, we aren't wasting time so far! 

3 hours ago, grth2004 said:

Shows how entitled some fans have become , we sign two players who have played for England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 as a championship club in the first week of the transfer market and still looking at other decent players yet some complain, all about opinions I suppose but I’m positive. 

We’re in the middle of a rebuild and personally I think we’re looking good 👍 but a lot will depend on who leaves as much as who comes in. 

I do agree with you, but that England point has made me worried... I'm having flashbacks to the last time we got relegated and signed Jason Wilcox amd Dion Dublin who had both played for England!!! 

• Like 1

Happy with both, we were always going to need 2-3 players of experience. Coady replacing Evans makes perfect sense, while I can see Winks suiting a Maresca possession based system. 

I just hope signing players from their age bracket doesn’t become a consistent theme. Coady, Winks, a more experienced goalkeeper and maybe Cairney, anymore than that, then the moan brigade will have a perfect justified reason to moan.

6 hours ago, eblair said:

Think it stinks of same errors that got us Bertrand, vestergaard and perez

Can you explain how? 
I can see no correlation at all - in fact there is no real correlation between the three players you’ve mentioned.

A an experienced replacement squad player, a panic buy after an injury and a solid first team player, who we paid over the odds for.

I believe the signings of Coady and Winks is about bringing in the experience first and giving the culture of the club a bit of a reset.

I could be wrong but Winks reminds me of an Andy King, Matty James type figure and Coady a Wes Morgan type who was in this leagues team of the season about 5 seasons ago when Wolves ripped the league apart. 

• Like 1

opposite to most people on here, I can sort of understand winks but it’s coady that doesn’t sit right with me. 

His stats are pretty appalling and something about him just feels like it’s a bad move.  I really hope i’m wrong but I get the feeling faes and souttar would have been strong enough and we are going to be sat with coadys wages for the next 4 years. 

Makes me extremely nervous. 

Even more so with the other 2 signings of winks and steffon. 

but that’s just it… it’s nerves. I honestly don’t know if they are good enough and i’m not sure others on here have an accurate idea either but personally i’m not ready to fully trust that our scouts are getting things right. 

I mentioned earlier in the summer that i was worried we would go for the same strategy villa took at first  and it looks like we are. prem players on the way down didn’t work for them… it won’t work for us. We really need to mix it up. But then we are linked with someone like prioe who would be perfect. Or will he just be our ross mcCormick 😂

it’s going to be an interesting few weeks but let’s hope we can get a few deals done that we can really get behind 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

Jury is out on Winks but in Enzo we trust.

Perhaps a change of club and new home would suit him to kickstart his career again.

Coady gives us a voice and leadership qualities we have lacked. I still can't get over the the nasty tackles the players received and none of the team mates would support them. You see a tackle on Grealish, Ealing etc rush to confront the player.

The beauty of it is that it adds a bit of bite and backbone which we lacked.