Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Smig123

Thoughts on Transfer business ?

Best tow the line and admit we are in division 2 (yeah no **** sherlock). Absolutely stoked we sold Maddison cheaply and bringing in a spurs player at £10M who has just been relegated in Italy and a defender who Everton didn't want. Still we are div2 so we should be looking to Malta and Albanian leagues. Hopefully both will turn out fine and I am happy with the manager choice, guess we shall see in a couple of months. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I'm quite happy so far with the manager and the players we have been heavily linked with.

but there Seems to be a lot of whinging and moaning about every player that we are linked with so far. I find it quite irritating and I reckon 3 things are at play here. 

1. People are failing to acknowledge that we are in the championship. It really shouldnt need saying but the standard isn't as good as the Premier league and the standard of player we can realistically attract isn't as good. 

2. Football snobbery... some foxestalkers have got a subscription to bt sport and disappeared up their own backsides seeing themselves as some sort of amateur European football scouts. Names like Coady aren't obscure or glamorous enough for them. These are the experts that lauded tete and we're up in arms when we were linked with Akanji, it's worth reminding them how important a signing Wes Morgan was at 28 having spend his whole career in the championship and leauge 1.

3. People still angry about last season, they see the club as being terribly run and can't can't bring themselves to show any positivity or even balance about the clubs business this summer. 

I was going to say it’s the third part for me.

I hope that I’m wrong but whilst I know we need a leader and Coady on/off the pitch offers that but the fear of giving him PL wages in our situation seems a bit boom or bust from us.

Very excited by the prospect of Piroe and a few other names recently have got the blood pumping to be fair.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'll never be convinced that Rice is worth £65m or Havertz is worth £25m more than Maddison.

Granted we needed to sell more urgently and with a shorter contract but Havertz is not exactly wanted at Chelsea.

The club has put us in a very difficult situation leaving us ripe for picking. I'm not a big fan of pushing for someone to lose their job but someone or more at the club should be paying the price for this debacle.

Yes and no.

Madders and Rice play in a completely different position so supply and demand comes into play.

We got relegated, so it became even more obvious we needed to sell.

Madders clearly has a chronic hip issue (he had to adapt his running style only a couple of summers ago) so could be one injury from being a “what could have been” player.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

I do agree with you, but that England point has made me worried... I'm having flashbacks to the last time we got relegated and signed Jason Wilcox amd Dion Dublin who had both played for England!!! 

Exactly remember those days and transfer PR well only to find major disappointment and the club a long way away from the Premier League ! I know you have to be positive but i just hope Winks is not the new Jack Wilshere

2 hours ago, davieG said:

I'll never be convinced that Rice is worth £65m or Havertz is worth £25m more than Maddison.

Granted we needed to sell more urgently and with a shorter contract but Havertz is not exactly wanted at Chelsea.

The club has put us in a very difficult situation leaving us ripe for picking. I'm not a big fan of pushing for someone to lose their job but someone or more at the club should be paying the price for this debacle.

I agree, I think there needs to be a blood letting of a number of players, coaching staff and management. Everyone has to be fearful of losing their jobs enough to perform everyday, some have become far too comfortable. Football is a high stakes highly paid business, if you don't perform you should be out!

11 hours ago, davieG said:

Selling players late for higher fees is overrated, you end up paying more end of transfer windows, and the damage to the season prep can be massive.

15 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Selling players late for higher fees is overrated, you end up paying more end of transfer windows, and the damage to the season prep can be massive.

I don't believe I suggested that. Only talking relative values.

No point worrying. None of us have any influence over who we buy or who we sell, or for what price. We’re just along for the ride. Hopefully it pans out ok, but the Championship is a tough league. 

The great thing is, we can have our opinions, see things our owners and management team cannot and discuss it all endlessly in here. 

Hopefully Enzo has some input in things and is building the sort of team he wants. Let the good times role. 

14 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

Best tow the line and admit we are in division 2 (yeah no **** sherlock). Absolutely stoked we sold Maddison cheaply and bringing in a spurs player at £10M who has just been relegated in Italy and a defender who Everton didn't want. Still we are div2 so we should be looking to Malta and Albanian leagues. Hopefully both will turn out fine and I am happy with the manager choice, guess we shall see in a couple of months. 

Nobody wanted Robert Huth or Wes Morgan really or Marc Albrighton, Okazaki didn't have loads of suitors, Drinkwater was a big club reject, nobody was prepared to take a chance on Kante or Mahrez at big clubs because they couldn't be seen to take a chance on an unknown. Maddison was known but nobody wanted to pay £20 mil for a championship prospect. Vardy was a non league player, Schmeichel unwanted by Leeds. Danny Simpson a journeyman, fuchs a free transfer. On the other hand Musa, Slimani, Iborra, Silva, Tete, Vestegaard and Bertrand were known names. We are Leicester city this is what we do turn other teams rejects into stars, an take a chance on prospects that the big boys aren't prepared to do. That's what we do regardless of the division when we are most successful.

• Like 3

Echoing what some have already said. Assuming the transfers of Coady and Winks go through over the next few days that I’m half pleased, half apprehensive. I’m all for a smattering of experience, and the spine of the team is non existent so key signings at key positions early in the window is a positive, but I don’t want a transfer window solely of cast offs and damaged goods. Yes you can point to the Pearson/Walsh recruitment last time we were in the championship,  but we got promoted then with a squad full of “young” hungry cast offs with a smattering of old heads who have been there and done it.

If Coady and Winks are the exception rather than the rule then get em in and let’s hit the ground running, 

its hard to know what else we need while so many more players are likely to go out the door. But I hope the dominoes start falling sooner rather than later and the squad starts to take shape ready for pre-season rather than after it

On 29/06/2023 at 07:48, davieG said:

Yeh as sad as it sounds, if any player gets to 2 years left on their deal then we should just sell if they aren't willing to extend their contract. It almost feels as though we became a victim of our own success with the huge fees we've received for Mahrez, Maguire, Fofana and Chilwell. It does seem a thing now as well that many players (even ones at bigger clubs than ours) are happy to run their contract down and get a huge sign on fee when they leave on a free transfer. The greed in football is now out of control and clubs unfortunately don't hold the power anymore and are being held to ransom by greedy players/agents. That said, the club has still been run like a shit show over the past few years and as you rightly said, somebody needs to be held accountable. Rodgers has gone, the coaches are gone and many players have/will leave, yet it still feels like certain people remain at the club who are equally as responsible for our downfall as the aforementioned 

• Like 1

Ok so 2 p!ayers in spending about £18M ish? Still peeved for selling Madison cheaply, concerned Barnes maybe off cheaply and Nacho for £8M good grief. Of cause it all might be bull but Rudkin and co aren't exactly doing themselves any favours here with what seems to me under selling then over paying. Ok I'll give it time but I'm a bit nervous! 

We’re becoming a bit beard heavy now. 

Manager, three of the four back room staff and both players - all beardies.

It’s like they all have half a coconut strapped to their chin. If that’s not a sign then I don’t know what is. 

• Haha 2