Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AllGoneTitsSchlupp

James Maddison completes move to Spurs

If what Tanner says is true, then a fee rising up to over £50m isn't too bad. I get why we're keeping that part of the story on the quiet side but my god is it annoying to see the Spurs fans acting like they got one over on us with the supposed 40m fee

Edited by LFox99

If you compiled highlights from last season, he would be in a very large percentage of them.

If the rest of the so called stars had performed half as well we wouldn`t have been relegated.

Personally from me, many thanks and the best of luck.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You 100% were not trying to sign Maddison to play a "wide" role and he 100% would have started for you as either an 8 or a 10 and been an upgrade. 

Cope better. 

You may have misunderstood, I said a right attacking midfield, not 'wide'. I mean an attacking threat who operates on the righthand side of the midfield 3. Maddison is a great player but he wouldn't have played as a 10 with us, because we don't play with a 10. Would he have played ahead of Tonali? Not likely. Tonali's versatility allows Bruno to push forward on occasion, Maddison would have restricted Bruno to his number 6 position. Tonali is an upgrade on Longstaff's contributions. ST is defensively minded, hard pressing, plays through pressure, great vision, boundless energy and with deliveries from wide and set pieces as an added bonus. 

I'm coping fine mate, Maddison is great and Spurs have got a very good player and you've got a phat pay day. We weren't willing to get involved in a bidding war and we weren't willing to pay what you were asking for (we've previously walked away from other players when the fee demanded grew larger than we were happy with). Instead we've got Tonali and are exploring deals for players in other positions, lending further credence to my opinion that his wasn't a priority position/style.

If Tanners article is anything to go off, it wouldn’t surprise me at all the way the deals been laid out. Levy looks good signing madders for “£40 million” (which we all know he gets a hard on about), where as the add ons are probably for things such as appearances and goal contributions etc hence the transfer fee “could comfortably past £50m”.

On the basis that Tanner knows something and isn’t just waffling, then there is a fair bit to learn from that article. 

1) Shows the board have at least learnt something by not prolonging outgoing transfers for the sake of it. Which clearly shows they’ve evaluated themselves to some degree.

2) The club are trying to do business early to ensure that Maresca can implement his style as early as possible. As well as Maddison’s income being reinvested into the playing squad.

3) The club have acknowledged the lack of leadership within the squad, hence the signing of Coady.

4) Winks signing is seen as a replacement for Youri in the deep lying playmaker role.

5) Attacking midfielder and wingers are now the priority for us, which would indicate we aren’t looking at playing 5 at the back.

6) Maresca to decide whether to sign a 4th choice centre back or promote Nelson from the academy, this would also indicate the intention to keep Faes. Also indicates the intention to play 4 at back.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Tonali is an exceptional midfielder. I think Newcastle will do extremely well again next season. 
You needed class players and in Isak and Tonali, you have them. They are both on the ‘next level’ of ability.

Must be a great time to support the Magpies.

He is, I'm genuinely shocked we've managed to get a player of his calibre to join us now. I think we're building a good spine to the team, but you only have to look to the flanks to see we're still a ways short of competing for the CL spots consistently. Isak, Bruno, Tonali, Botman, Pope are excellent and should provide the foundation for years to come. But Trippier is 31, Burn isn't really a left back and isn't a top 6 CB either, Joelinton and Willock have promise and are great for where we are now, but will surely get replaced in the coming seasons. ASM and Almiron both have great qualities, but neither are the fully rounded player. 

Honestly, I'm most excited about the European games, part of me hopes for the titans of the continent to come to St James', but another more hipster nerdy part wants to drop into the Europa League to face lesser known teams from Austria, Belgium, or Serbia, where we have at least a chance of winning the thing.

It is a very exciting time, but also a very strange time.

• Like 2

Just now, Spiritwalker said:

Decent, I’ve knocked out some of those moves myself, not sure about the trophies bit though.

Certainly more creative than any chant we came up for him in his time here, to be fair.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Where’s the missed penalty, that pass v Bournemouth, the arms flapping, telling a fan to **** off, the saunter’s to the corner flag, the phoning it in performances?

We’ll be fine.

Just now, dmayne7 said:

For somebody so articulate, that's a crap message. Not that I care but I think it's shows more importantly, that he didn't really care.

I have been trying to formulate a response to this, but struggling… let’s just say ‘we obviously didn’t interpret it in the same way’ 

5 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

For somebody so articulate, that's a crap message. Not that I care but I think it's shows more importantly, that he didn't really care.

At least the grammar being so bad, and no use of the word unwavering suggests that he's actually taken the time to write that himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never really warmed to him and I don’t get people being emotional about him leaving. He’s not really the sort of player that endears himself to fans. 

Good player, maybe lacking the mentality to play for one of the top sides or for England. No doubt he will get a few more caps now he’s at Spurs though.

• Like 1