Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AllGoneTitsSchlupp

James Maddison completes move to Spurs

1 hour ago, Sly said:

image.thumb.png.35a7de30c6ac7740997d5855ab51064f.png

:ph34r:lol

A bit silly of him to say that, yes..

But wouldn't put it past it that some people of his age and older have posted such posts without much thought when they were teenagers.

Edited by Wymsey

This eulogy made me smile for no other reason than Spursy have achieved zip squat didly for over 30 years, at least he will be able to jangle his LC medals in the Spurs dressing room to motivate them to better things.

The 26-year-old made 203 appearances for Leicester in all competitions scoring 55 goals. During his five year spell, he won the FA Cup and Community Shield in 2021 and reached a European semi-final in 2022.

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

I don’t want to replace him, he’s part of a pathetic, weak willed and selfish squad that saw us squander two top 4 places when in cruise control and then sent us down. 

I can’t believe anyone is actually disappointed to see any of these charlatans leave.

The players pissed me off last season, all of them, but Maddison was part of a squad that finished 5th and win the FA Cup in the same season. We will probably never achieve that again.

Maddison has probably been our best player over the last two seasons, not that it's saying much but his return this season in a relegated team was superb. It will be a long time until we find a midfielder who will get us the goals and assists he did in the top flight.

• Like 1

I thought generally and particularly the 2nd half of his Leicester career he was one of the best players we had post title winning season.  Maybe not 2nd half of this season.  Will miss him.

IF we have to pay £10m for Winks, bearing in mind looks like Arsenal are paying £105m for Rice, we have been stupid to let him go for less than £50/55m.

• Like 3

Personally I wish Madders all the best. I can see why Spurs wanted him, Kane was playing ever increasingly deeper to get the ball in midfield, this will release him to do what he does best. Can see Spurs finally pushing for Europe & the title if it clicks. Hope it doesn't though lol

An exciting signing from Spurs' point of view. I get the impression that Postecoglou will be a much harder taskmaster than Rodgers and if he can harness Maddison's creativity, he'll be a hit there.

Not sure I get much of the hate for or disconnect with Maddison here. He was one of our more vocal players, more willing to talk to the media than most, and produced some sublime moments on the pitch.

He couldn't do it on his own, though. Our defence and midfield were made out of biscuits. The dropoff in a lot of players were much, much worse than when Maddison was out of form. He suffered with a hip injury for a long, long time, then came back stronger and better than ever for a good while.

We also went from a quite attack-oriented side (who really couldn't defend) under Rodgers to a very, very pragmatic side under Smith, which still couldn't really defend but also abandoned much notion of a coherent attacking structure.

There are many, many more people to blame for our current predicament before you get to Maddison.

Also, I'd rather he went anywhere but Newcastle because of, you know, the sportswashing and the (alleged) links to the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.

• Like 3

Another major cost off the wage bill, thanks for all the good things you did for you and I'm afraid I can't wish you well for your future at Spurs.

Perhaps we can work toward a squad equal in quality and cost to that of 2015/16...if only :trumpet:

Fantastic player and even on his crap games last year he was our best player. I got the impression that at times in games last year he looked up at the shit options around him when he was on the ball and thought he had to do it all himself- probably why his form suffered a bit. But that certainly doesn't make him a bottle job- the opposite if anything. He tried to take alot of responsibility on his shoulders last year, which is more than I can say for most.

I genuinely think had he been getting in the England team on a regular basis, as he should have been, he would have signed a new contract and we would have got more for him than we have. I remember an England squad at the end of a season when he'd played really well for us and Smith-Rowe, who wasn't even playing at Arsenal, got in the squad ahead of him. And we'd finished above Arsenal in the league. At that point, he must have been thinking he needs a move to a 'bigger' club.

On the face of it, it does seem odd he's chosen Spurs over Newcastle and CL football. But he comes across as very knowledgeable about the game and I can see why he would think the type of football Postegoglu plays would suit him far more than Howe's. Hope he does well on an individual basis but as always wish nothing but abject failure on Spurs collectively.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

We also went from a quite attack-oriented side (who really couldn't defend) under Rodgers.

I must have missed the bit where we were attacking in the last 2 seasons. More often than not we played incipid sideways shite and constantly had no answer to low block other than mindlessly passing between the centre backs! 

Thats very kind to Rodgers indeed! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Corky said:

Wasn't his biggest fan for a while until a couple of years ago when he settled down and played properly and consistently. Excellent 18 months until the World Cup but not the same since.

Overall, good value for money and a good player but just not feeling it with so many of these players however good they are. 

I know Southgate laughed about the tapping up that goes on at an England tournament Camp. The down side to this is that non BCC clubs, having players representing England, should be slightly concerned about their players heads being turned on returning from England duty.

It's the fee that hurts, the difference between what it is and what it should be if he had 2 1/2 - 3 years of contract left is almost the amount of a "Top player" in itself, the kind of figure we apparently need each summer and which caused our stalemate last summer by not selling one the previous year. I'm all for getting it done early and critical when we aren't - look at Fofana dragging on into the season, disruptive and de-motivating for everyone, but with more than one club interested surely we could squeeze a bit more. Add-on's? Do they require achievement, it is Tottenham we're talking about, they're up against Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle and a surely better than last season Chelsea.....don't tell me it's Champions League bonuses. Trophies :facepalm:?

One thing I agree on with Rodgers is that the players needed help, the good honest players needed fresh faces, fresh ideas, different mentalities around them, they needed to turn up in July last year and find a few new additions and they needed to have the luxury of rotation so they're not always playing with one foot on the physio table as K DH explained they've almost always got one problem or another. 

There was a moment when we were a RW away from having a great side, apparently we were about to get one when the Villareal yob took out Fofana and Brendan was told, you can have one but not both (the RW or CB cover). Enter pantomime villain Vestergaard instead of the missing jigsaw piece (we may never know who). Imagine being Maddison that day or last summer, seeing nothing of any use come through the doors or Januarys rummage through the bargain basement and knowing more and more is expected of you, watching Youri in an 18 month self protection mode, Vardy not properly utilised and Ricardo in and out of surgery. He's a studier of the game, you don't need to be that to be dis-heartened by seeing constant bomb-scare team mates being named week after week, knowing there's mistakes in them, not so much him outgrowing us but our standards dropping way lower than his. You can see why he didn't extend his contract in that time but it would have helped us if he had, he would still inevitably go this summer but we could demand a more reasonable fee. 

Once we pay for Winks and Norwich get their 6 fingered mitts on their slice we'll probably need to use the remainder for books balancing. Had we been able to use his fee like we used the Mahrez money it would be more bearable, I fear it will be a long time before we see such a natural talent in our shirt again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MancFox24 said:

Fantastic player and even on his crap games last year he was our best player. I got the impression that at times in games last year he looked up at the shit options around him when he was on the ball and thought he had to do it all himself- probably why his form suffered a bit. But that certainly doesn't make him a bottle job- the opposite if anything. He tried to take alot of responsibility on his shoulders last year, which is more than I can say for most.

<snip>

Those 'sh1t' options beat Wolves without him. If what you say is the truth (and its kind of what i was saying at the time), it shows a massive flaw as a player that he wasn't able to work with the team around him. He was dribbling around in circles and made himself so easy to defend. Its an area of his game that his is going to have to improve, as well as his set piece delivery that because horrible for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chelmofox said:

Those 'sh1t' options beat Wolves without him. If what you say is the truth (and its kind of what i was saying at the time), it shows a massive flaw as a player that he wasn't able to work with the team around him. He was dribbling around in circles and made himself so easy to defend. Its an area of his game that his is going to have to improve, as well as his set piece delivery that because horrible for some reason.

I don't think it was to the detriment of the team though. I just don't think he trusted the players around him to look after the ball or make an incisive pass like he could. And I think he was absolutely right about that. Although that meant he lost the ball on occasions, I'd much rather have him on the ball than play it to someone who either lost it or played safe.

People often talk about the Wolves game. Firstly, we could have beat them more comfortably with Maddison in the side. Secondly, it was one game- he carried us in that period before the WC when we were doing well and I think the main reason we weren't able to carry that form on after was his injury.

Just now, MancFox24 said:

I don't think it was to the detriment of the team though. I just don't think he trusted the players around him to look after the ball or make an incisive pass like he could. And I think he was absolutely right about that. Although that meant he lost the ball on occasions, I'd much rather have him on the ball than play it to someone who either lost it or played safe.

People often talk about the Wolves game. Firstly, we could have beat them more comfortably with Maddison in the side. Secondly, it was one game- he carried us in that period before the WC when we were doing well and I think the main reason we weren't able to carry that form on after was his injury.

Sorry - disagree. For example, against Liverpool we had an early two on two opportunity in the first half for Madders to play a simple ball through to Vardy, but he instead held the ball, slowed down play and subsequently lost the ball. There were lot of situations like it where his approach was to slow things down which allowed the oppositions to defend in numbers. It was to the determent of the team. We allow him to do this because we know there is always the possibility of a magical moment in there. Its just in the relegation run it, it wasn't there.

Excellent player with a bad ego, will try to remember him for the good work he's done with us but his "How dare you question us" attitude has never sat well with me. Keep your head down and play football, the kid will go much further.

Rodgers was happy to make us unbalanced as a side as long as he shoe horned this boy in, kept his promise to him to make him a star and take the plaudits as a result. Personally think he’ll struggle to get going and be the subject of a lot of memes and jokes, just like Maguire, Chilwell etc were after the initial move away. It’s a ballsy decision to go there. Fan base is toxic and they’re the butt of every joke.

Best of luck but his attitude to last season really tarnished his ‘legacy’ here for me.