Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AllGoneTitsSchlupp

James Maddison completes move to Spurs

55 minutes ago, Koke said:

Would people honestly preferred he went to Newcastle over Spurs? Ideally, Liverpool would have been the best move.

Not good enough for Liverpool and don't see him fitting into their system. Not quick enough physically or in thought, he'd slow their quick passing team play down by either falling over again or trying to take everyone on. Not a team player. In fairness, perhaps a half decent coach/manager can get better out of him, like Pep did with Sterling or even Marhez. 

20 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Sorry - disagree. For example, against Liverpool we had an early two on two opportunity in the first half for Madders to play a simple ball through to Vardy, but he instead held the ball, slowed down play and subsequently lost the ball. There were lot of situations like it where his approach was to slow things down which allowed the oppositions to defend in numbers. It was to the determent of the team. We allow him to do this because we know there is always the possibility of a magical moment in there. Its just in the relegation run it, it wasn't there.

Fair enough. There may be the odd example where he could have played an earlier pass. But the statistics about the chances created and big chances created don't lie- he's up there with the best in the league and proves he's more than willing and capable of making chances for others when the opportunity arises.

Either way, my main argument was against those calling him a bottler. Whether you think it was for the good of the team or not, at least he took the responsibility on his shoulders. 

2 hours ago, Woody1962 said:

Personally I wish Madders all the best. I can see why Spurs wanted him, Kane was playing ever increasingly deeper to get the ball in midfield, this will release him to do what he does best. Can see Spurs finally pushing for Europe & the title if it clicks. Hope it doesn't though lol

Spurs think that he will feed the ball to Kane like he did for Vardy, but if Kane leaves Spurs they will be no better off.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Would people honestly preferred he went to Newcastle over Spurs? Ideally, Liverpool would have been the best move.

Hell no.  He might have won something in Newcastle!  Also they don't deserve him after their stupid offers last summer.  30m ffs.

5 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

I think he's been a bit hasty. He can do better than Spurs. He'll win jack there.

They're getting a bargain though at £40m if that's the fee.

Up to 50m with add ons which are highly unlikely as it would mean Spurs have to win something 

Edited by whoareyaaa

Just now, Foxin_Mad said:

Why? Shit nothing club. Just Money. There aint noway they can spend as much as city have because of FFP. They will win nothing of note anytime soon. 

They have overachieved in the first year but will now find out how hard it is to build an CL quality squad in a year or two.  They might win a cup in the next few years, but no better chance of that than Spurs really.  Arsenal look most likely to challenge again with some good summer signings.  Rice is going to be a massive upgrade for them.

I like Maddison and would have enjoyed watching him in a Black and White shirt because he's a classy intelligent footballer. But, after Almiron had that purple patch, Murphy became a reliable (if uninspiring) pressing wide player, and we secured CL football our priorities shifted away from right attacking midfield. Which is where would have played Maddison. 

We shifted to a pressing number 8, an upgrade on Longstaff, hence the Tonali purchase. The way we play puts a huge amount of pressure on our midfield, we need bodies in the engine room way more than what Maddison would have brought. I also think we didn't want to go above our valuation of Maddison and refused to get involved in a bidding war with Spurs. £50m plus Maddison's wages would have screwed our FFP wriggle room. Tonali for the same fee and far lower wages just makes sense for us right now. 

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

Good.

He wanted to leave, we’ve got 40 mill with which to rebuild the squad.

Now let’s rebuild the squad.

Guest Col city fan
9 minutes ago, TheFish said:

I like Maddison and would have enjoyed watching him in a Black and White shirt because he's a classy intelligent footballer. But, after Almiron had that purple patch, Murphy became a reliable (if uninspiring) pressing wide player, and we secured CL football our priorities shifted away from right attacking midfield. Which is where would have played Maddison. 

We shifted to a pressing number 8, an upgrade on Longstaff, hence the Tonali purchase. The way we play puts a huge amount of pressure on our midfield, we need bodies in the engine room way more than what Maddison would have brought. I also think we didn't want to go above our valuation of Maddison and refused to get involved in a bidding war with Spurs. £50m plus Maddison's wages would have screwed our FFP wriggle room. Tonali for the same fee and far lower wages just makes sense for us right now. 

Tonali is an exceptional midfielder. I think Newcastle will do extremely well again next season. 
You needed class players and in Isak and Tonali, you have them. They are both on the ‘next level’ of ability.

Must be a great time to support the Magpies.

11 minutes ago, TheFish said:

You 100% were not trying to sign Maddison to play a "wide" role and he 100% would have started for you as either an 8 or a 10 and been an upgrade. 

Cope better. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Why? Shit nothing club. Just Money. There aint noway they can spend as much as city have because of FFP. They will win nothing of note anytime soon. 

...it didn't take them long to get top 4, we had two goes at it and failed (in consecutive seasons), but they did it with time to spare!!!

I just don’t get the sourness. Where else was he meant to go to? You think the kid is going to spend a year, moving into his peak, playing in the championship? Which of the potential suitors would you have preferred? I guarantee we’d all have had an issue with whichever top 6/7 team he was destined for.

The forced and fake rivalry so many of us are desperate to have with Spurs is so fvcking weird. 

“Anyone but spuds:@“ - give over. As if anyone is arsed. 

Edited by kingkisnorbo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

They have overachieved in the first year but will now find out how hard it is to build an CL quality squad in a year or two.  They might win a cup in the next few years, but no better chance of that than Spurs really.  Arsenal look most likely to challenge again with some good summer signings.  Rice is going to be a massive upgrade for them.

...they have spent big in the past, and have failed to push themselves forward!!!

Saka is homegrown and their highest price player. Is Rice a game-changer, or did they just bottle it at the end of their last season?

8 minutes ago, jv1 said:

couldnt get out of the door quick enough- literally ran to the first offer going- spurs- jesus-  lazy, egotistical, smary little tw*t

...not sure why it matters so much where he has gone, the most important thing is that he is off the wage bill!!!

It is a bit of a reverse psychology that if a player leaves us it must be for a higher calling and the player has seemed to have lowered his standards and we are tainted by that.

Let us spend this money wisely and bring in players that are going to take us up and entertain as a unit as opposed to a reliance on individuals.

• Like 1