Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Conor Coady official

Too many red flags with this deal for my liking. Older player, high fee, high wages and no resale value.

He'll be quality in the Championship no doubt but our problem last summer was that the squad was packed with players on high wages that nobody wanted. We could end up running into the same situation with this fella in a couple of years and end up back where we are. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

Too many red flags with this deal for my liking. Older player, high fee, high wages and no resale value.

He'll be quality in the Championship no doubt but our problem last summer was that the squad was packed with players on high wages that nobody wanted. We could end up running into the same situation with this fella in a couple of years and end up back where we are. 

If we sign all the players like that then yes you have a point but one or two is hardly going to be that bad..

• Like 3

Just now, Happy Fox said:

If we sign all the players like that then yes you have a point but one or two is hardly going to be that bad..

We've still got quite a few on the books too. The signings of Coady and Winks don't exactly fill me with the greatest confidence when it comes to lessons learned and long term strategy. It all seems a bit like the Sven era where we tried to buy our way out of the league and failed miserably. 

I'll be a lot more optimistic when/if we sign some younger players to develop but if we continue to make signings like these ones we are I really worry that we will be in trouble if we don't make it out of the league this season and even if we do we'll be lumbered with players on high wages that aren't quite good enough for the Prem. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Dames said:

If you think he's going to be quality in the Championship then that's all that matters!

We don't need resale value if he gets us promoted. As long as every signing isn't over the odds we can take a risk on a leader who knows the league and who will encourage other underperformers to raise their game. He's the type of player that will add value to others if we get this summer right.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Dames said:

Apart from the no resale value, I'd disagree with the rest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

lol fair point!

Faes is the one. Looks like I pasted the image twice haha!

I wouldn't judge any player that was managed by Rodgers or Lampard last season. 

Well, other than Ward......

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Tarkowski's stats are fine, Coady's are shit.

https://fbref.com/en/players/2928dca2/scout/11160/Conor-Coady-Scouting-Report

His 21-22, 20-21 and 19-20 profiles are all shit too.

"Stats don't matter for defenders" - according to FBref Coady was literally the worst for aerial wins per 90 across the whole top 5 leagues lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 02/07/2023 at 08:27, Finn Claw II said:

Depends on perspectives though - Wolves have basically said they would accept another £4.5m in fees.

Yes we will pay the same amount as Everton would have but Wolves have made more out of selling to us rather than Everton.

Basically good negotiations by Wolves. 

The difference is for Wolves rather than us though. We paid the same amount Everyone would have done in the end no matter how you slice it. Wolves made more selling to us because they'd already had the loan fee from Everton

3 hours ago, Dames said:

He'll be quality in the Championship no doubt but our problem last summer was that the squad was packed with players on high wages that nobody wanted. We could end up running into the same situation with this fella in a couple of years and end up back where 

Plenty of red flags with Robert Huth 2015

57 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The difference is for Wolves rather than us though. We paid the same amount Everyone would have done in the end no matter how you slice it. Wolves made more selling to us because they'd already had the loan fee from Everton

The loan fee is or should be irrelevant.  Wolves have effectively said we will take £4.5m for him.  

In theory Everton should have brought him for £4.5m then immediately sold him to us for £7.5’m.

We shouldn’t have paid more than £4.5m unless there were other clubs after him

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

It isn't irrelevant

If Everton hadn't paid so much for an initial loan fee then that the option to buy for them would have been higher, so it does factor into it

Not if you negotiate well,  as I said Everton should have sold him to us and pocketed the £3m.  We could have offered Everton £500k to buy him from Wolves and then sell to us.  

I think Coady will be a good signing in any case but £3m isn’t pocket change

5 hours ago, Dames said:

Not every player needs resale value, If resale value was the only thing the club were bothered by, they could of forced Vardy out the door at least a year or two ago before he was near enough at retirement age. Players under £10 mil don't need resale value, resale value is only possible usually if the players are under 25. You can't fill the whole squad with youngsters. You need a balance of youth and experience.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Finn Claw II said:

The loan fee is or should be irrelevant.  Wolves have effectively said we will take £4.5m for him.  

Well, no we didn't at all. We said you can have the option to buy him for that, because you've already paid us a substantial loan fee. And those combined is what we think he's worth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dames said:

Is 30 old for a CB? Evans signed when he was 30 and has been incredible for us. 

Is £7.5 million a high fee? I don't think so. If he does become Captain and helps us get promoted. I would say that is a bargain. 

Has his wages been reported? Do we know if they are high? Due to it being a 3 year deal and us in the Championship, perhaps he is on similar to those already in our squad with the 35-50% reduction. 

If we had considered Evans resale value at 30 years old, we likely would have passed on him too, and what a mistake that would have been.

I personally believed he has been signed for his leadership and experience, as much as his quality. I also think there is value in getting as many deals done early as possible, as we really need to hit the ground running if we want to bounce straight back. I am happy we will have his influence for the full pre-season. 

Overall, I still think this could be our Evans type signing, that we desperately need and I hope he shows that value over the next 3 years with us. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tommy G said:

More attributes and potential impact - not Morgan's IQ

nothing to do with his intellect, no - but he had no charisma and often seemed liked he'd much rather be somewhere else.

8 hours ago, Finn Claw II said:

In theory Everton should have brought him for £4.5m then immediately sold him to us for £7.5’m.

No it isn't.

Imagine he's a car. Everton did a lease to buy deal but decided to go and buy a different car at the end of the lease, that doesn't bring the book price down if someone else decides they want that model

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

Well, no we didn't at all. We said you can have the option to buy him for that, because you've already paid us a substantial loan fee. And those combined is what we think he's worth. 

I know that’s what you said but it’s market signalling.  

As I’ve said we should have paid Everton to buy him and sell him to us or loan with an obligation to buy.

This works for the car analogy also, if I know I could sell my car for more than the ballon payment, I should buy the car and sell it.

The only reason to pay £7m plus is if other clubs were going to match that fee

10 hours ago, Finn Claw II said:

What a ridiculous take. Your argument is from Everton’s perspective but they didn’t buy him so the seller (Wolves) had a price end of story. What Everton could have sold him for is irrelevant as they didn’t buy him.

10 hours ago, moore_94 said:

It isn't irrelevant

If Everton hadn't paid so much for an initial loan fee then that the option to buy for them would have been higher, so it does factor into it

Honestly it was very smart business from Wolves. Effectively Coady returned around £15m for them in the space of 12 months.

• Like 1

Is coady definitely gonna be played exclusively as a CB? He was a holding midfielder before and I do wonder if perhaps he’ll push up rather than the fullbacks like Pep does it. None of our fullbacks bar Ricardo who surely is unlikely to stay are comfortable on the ball as much as a normal CM.