Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Conor Coady official

4 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out!

It’s not surprising though. Top is ideologically wedded to a certain style of play and is unlikely to have recruited Cooper without reassurances that he would play that way. I also remember reading recently that Cooper has studied all our games from last season with a view to replicating what worked. I suspect anybody hoping for a radical departure from Enzo’s style of play is going to be disappointed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It’s not surprising though. Top is ideologically wedded to a certain style of play and is unlikely to have recruited Cooper without reassurances that he would play that way. I also remember reading recently that Cooper has studied all our games from last season with a view to replicating what worked. I suspect anybody hoping for a radical departure from Enzo’s style of play is going to be disappointed. 

Ideologically though, what does Top actually know and understand?  Sometimes, if some of what is said is true, he sounds like just a multimillionaires silly rich kid playing football manager.

Surely winning comes first in the most entertaining way as possible. 

Top can't demand that his team play champagne and oyster football with beer and chips players. Likewise, Marcelo Bielsa's recent comments regarding the current state of today's possession football is becoming less and less attractive to watch also rings true.

Presumably Top employed Cooper because he felt him to be the best man for the job at the time. The first priority it surely to try and remain in the Premiership. In which case he has to let Cooper run with it or otherwise why employ a manager in the first place? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Ideologically though, what does Top actually know and understand?  Sometimes, if some of what is said is true, he sounds like just a multimillionaires silly rich kid playing football manager.

Surely winning comes first in the most entertaining way as possible. 

Top can't demand that his team play champagne and oyster football with beer and chips players. Likewise, Marcelo Bielsa's recent comments regarding the current state of today's possession football is becoming less and less attractive to watch also rings true.

Presumably Top employed Cooper because he felt him to be the best man for the job at the time. The first priority it surely to try and remain in the Premiership. In which case he has to let Cooper run with it or otherwise why employ a manager in the first place? 

Enzo was recruited specifically to play a certain way and the plan was for him to carry on doing that in the PL. That plan won’t change much just because Enzo isn’t around. It comes from the club’s owners.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Enzo was recruited specifically to play a certain way and the plan was for him to carry on doing that in the PL. That plan won’t change much just because Enzo isn’t around. It comes from the club’s owners.

Personally I hate this slow keep ball football. Its not entertaining most of the time even if you win.

But I don't see Cooper as that sort of manager and able to instill that style of play to the standard required in the prem.

So with that in mind if Top has instructed Cooper to play that way without a pts deduction we will struggle.

So for me I only see one end to our season. It will probably be the shortest season ever for us.

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I think he's a regular this season. Whether that's good or not I haven't decided yet.

I would imagine he'll start the season due to Vesty and Faes' extended Euro break? Then it's up to him to a certain extent.

14 minutes ago, Gloria said:

I would imagine he'll start the season due to Vesty and Faes' extended Euro break? Then it's up to him to a certain extent.

That's a really good point. He was a big disadvantage last season with the injury and Vesty took his chance. This season it's Coady's turn to stake a claim. I still think he'll be superb in the middle of a three. With Faes on the right and Okoli on the left that could be a decent, solid back three with decent passers in the wider positions.

Natural leader, could hear him in a video praising okoli in his first session. Need him around and experience on pitch with a younger side and potentially Nelson and okoli playing at the same time will be vital. 

• Like 1

This ideological way of playing that people talk about is probably the way 18 teams in the league want to play isn't it? 

I doubt he tells incoming managers that he wants 60% possession at all costs. He probably wants a slick passing game and to win. 

It's crazy to think that he has that much say over tactics. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I accept that fully, what I'm saying is that it makes little sense. Surely it's the managers job to evaluate the players he has and, on the day of the match, according to the opposition also, plays a system and tactics that gives his players the best chance of winning. 

When Top, or any other owner starts thinking they're experts on football and think you can play like Manchester City or Real Madrid without the necessary players, that's when you get problems. Why even employ a manager if you're not going to allow him to manage?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I accept that fully, what I'm saying is that it makes little sense. Surely it's the managers job to evaluate the players he has and, on the day of the match, according to the opposition also, plays a system and tactics that gives his players the best chance of winning. 

When Top, or any other owner starts thinking they're experts on football and think you can play like Manchester City or Real Madrid without the necessary players, that's when you get problems. Why even employ a manager if you're not going to allow him to manage?

They aren't telling them EXACTLY how to play, it will just be a case of saying we want to focus on a passing style of football. Puel, Rodgers, Enzo were all "passing" style managers, but each had a different style. 

We will play differently to the style of Enzo, but they will still want it to be in the ball park, so to speak. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I’m not suggesting Top tells the manager what to do on a match-by-match basis. However it is clear that Top wants us to play passing football and that he employs managers who deliver that (Puel, Rodgers, Maresca). Cooper must have convinced Top that he will play in a similar way or he wouldn’t have been given the job in the first place - hence why Coady’s comment that Cooper isn’t trying to change much is not at all surprising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/07/2024 at 14:32, ClaphamFox said:

If Cooper replicates only what he believes worked last season and melds in other plays while chucking out the rest, then there will likely be quite a departure from Enzo’s style of play. It may or may not be a very radical departure though.

11 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

When Top, or any other owner starts thinking they're experts on football

9 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

However it is clear that Top wants us to play passing football and that he employs managers who deliver that

I find it hard to process that Top wants a certain kind of football. 

Firstly, Top's football IQ is going to be far far lower than a good 75% of the posters on here. This is a man remember that outsources his multi million horse  racing operation to a football academy director. 

Far more likely that Top has been convinced (talked in to) that the Pep/possession football idealogy is fashionable and it'll make him look as if he knows what he's doing. 

No different to an art curator at a gallery or Michelen chef chatting to Top....he's hardly gonna start lecturing the chef how long the beef should be seared

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

75% of the posters here couldn't find their arse with both hands.   Top is way more savvy than most of the posters here, 

For football he relies heavily on Rudkin's opinions. I don't think it's unfair to say he doesn't know a lot about football. Not to say most in here do either though 😂

14 hours ago, gurru991 said:

he has seen & experienced more than any foxestalk member

Hahaha. 

I'd imagine I've forgotten more games than Top has ever seen. 

Experienced more? 

We've all played at school, played five a sides, played Sunday league, watched the kids, managed kids teams, referred games, watched thousands of games on TV over a period spanning decades and watches hundreds of not thousands of professional games live. Watched YouTubers, listened to pundits, read messageboards, chatted in pubs and on holidays to total strangers about the sport. 

All of that versus Top, who, from a standing start, has chatted to Rudkin twice a week for half an hour these last 10 years

• Like 4

He's had the ear of Pearson, Sousa, Sven, Ranieri, Shaky, Puel, Rodgers and Enzo I'm thinking he must have picked up a fair bit re players and tactics good and bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Hahaha. 

I'd imagine I've forgotten more games than Top has ever seen. 

Experienced more? 

We've all played at school, played five a sides, played Sunday league, watched the kids, managed kids teams, referred games, watched thousands of games on TV over a period spanning decades and watches hundreds of not thousands of professional games live. Watched YouTubers, listened to pundits, read messageboards, chatted in pubs and on holidays to total strangers about the sport. 

All of that versus Top, who, from a standing start, has chatted to Rudkin twice a week for half an hour these last 10 years

While you were watching YouTubers he was chatting with Nigel Pearson. When you were reading message boards he was watching training.When you were chatting in the pub he was in a meeting with 19 other owners.

We truly do not know a lot about Top but we do love to assume.!!