Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

59 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

To be fair, I haven't seen many people call our passing style any of those things in any of our games. It's pretty clear to all how effective they can be. The thing is that is a highlights video, so it looks great in a condensed form, but it's not like that's how we play for the entirety of the 90 minutes.

If you look at Saturday's match, we had 3 shots on target and one of them was the goal right at the end after a suicidal attack from WBA. So my issue isn't with the patterns of play as this entire thread is dedicated to it! My issue is that we aren't creating enough chances through this style of play yet.

There’s a lot of, and increasing criticism of Hermansen (especially in his thread) for those sorts of passes 

11 minutes ago, Lionator said:

One thing I’m also confused by, the system has struggled against the worst teams in the league. It essentially failed v Huddersfield, Rotherham, QPR & Wednesday, whereas it’s looked most effective against those 12-20th type teams (Stoke, Watford, Blackburn), can anyone think of why? 

Keep getting told for mentioning it but effectively it suits their game plans they play week after and after. Alongside that their direct approach seems to get more change out of us. The three goals conceded in those games all come through aerial scenarios that we didn’t defend well enough against 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Mavididi, those two situations where the defender comes across and puts in a block!!!

Right there is a great opportunity to shape to feign to shoot and chop back to roll the ball to someone open or steer the ball into the far post. He is nearly 26 and he does not have the imagination to be inventive in these situations. 

This has got to be where any of the coaches have to get involved with  developing players, it will not take too much time or effort to sit him down and show him other options.

He has been at this level for sometime, needs to be challenged to improve his game, but our coaches are just not astute enough to take away his poor execution around the box.

I really have no idea what they view coaching to be.

I did say to my dad when we were watching it that you just know Riyad would have left the defender on his arse and curled one far corner.

Mavididi isn't much of a footballer in terms of end product, but he does bring a lot in his speed and directness. One to improve on if we go up, but a useful player at this level. Always good to be able to bring pace off the bench as well should we find a better alternative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I did say to my dad when we were watching it that you just know Riyad would have left the defender on his arse and curled one far corner.

Mavididi isn't much of a footballer in terms of end product, but he does bring a lot in his speed and directness. One to improve on if we go up, but a useful player at this level. Always good to be able to bring pace off the bench as well should we find a better alternative.

... his speed like many players does not hurt the opposition when you know there is no end product at the end of it!!!

Why elect to shoot with his left, he is an inverted winger for a reason.

I would imagine if Clough had him as a player he would most likely issue a fine everytime he made these silly decisions. It needs to be brought to his attention,  not left for him to work it out.

8 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Don’t know if anyone has noticed but Mavididi is better simplifying his game. He’s got more assists (and should have a couple more) running to the byline and going on his wrong foot than cutting inside 

Agreed. He's one of the worst finishers I've ever seen in a similar sample size. I'm yet to see him connect with a shot properly, both from sheer power and accuracy. Never known anything like it.

However, he's still an effective player of he exposes teams by going to the byline.

One quite noticeable change of late is the lack of subs. I thought it was because we had 4-5 injured prior to the international break but only 2 subs made vs Watford and WBA. Sheffield Wed's there were more but that's because he wanted to bring his players on he rested.

I wonder why he's stopped making them, I think that's something he needs to be braver at with this run of games we've got coming up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

One quite noticeable change of late is the lack of subs. I thought it was because we had 4-5 injured prior to the international break but only 2 subs made vs Watford and WBA. Sheffield Wed's there were more but that's because he wanted to bring his players on he rested.

I wonder why he's stopped making them, I think that's something he needs to be braver at with this run of games we've got coming up.

Its weird because when we had less options and 2 keepers on the bench he was using all 3 every game and they were having an impact. 

Hopefully its just teething issues as he’s still relatively new to management but it’s worked in the past for him so not sure why he’s not relying on it more.

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. He's one of the worst finishers I've ever seen in a similar sample size. I'm yet to see him connect with a shot properly, both from sheer power and accuracy. Never known anything like it.

However, he's still an effective player of he exposes teams by going to the byline.

Lloyd Dyer with less pace. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

😂😂😂😂😂

On 16/09/2023 at 08:07, Ric Flair said:

He didn't pass those two in the 2nd half because he'd missed a hat full already, likewise vs Rotherham and I feel he was desperate to score. Maddison and Barnes always did that and I understand, you want to get that goal and settle down again.

Vardy is one of the most unselfish players I've ever seen and the amount of times he's squared chances like that is countless, but not always. You have to have a desire to shoot and sometimes it's the only thing on a players mind and there's no room for indecision.

Mavididi is a whirl wind, reminds me of Lloyd Dyer in his end product but I love his skill and style of play. I've no major issue in a side that will create vast amounts of opportunities that he isn't a killer. Hopefully he improves but so far I've been spot on in my assessment that he'd deliver at this level.

2 goals, 2 assists and unlucky not to have plenty more. Keep it up Stephy.

On 16/09/2023 at 08:08, Ric Flair said:

The Lloyd Dyer Project 

On 24/09/2023 at 09:44, Ric Flair said:

He is Lloyd Dyer in going from the sublime to the ridiculous. He'll get goals and assists through law of averages and I think under Maresca he may well improve but what you see, is what you get. At this level he's a great signing for us.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Last 2 games he's not subbed the striker. Don't know if this is part of him trying things out, but this is odd because in previous games like Watford subbing the striker changed the game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Don’t know if anyone has noticed but Mavididi is better simplifying his game. He’s got more assists (and should have a couple more) running to the byline and going on his wrong foot than cutting inside 

...imagine how much more successful he would be if he played from the right, using his better feet!!!

• Like 1

Watching that, I think it becomes even more obvious that we could do wuth a number 9 who is good at coming a bit deeper and receiving the ball and acting more as a vocal point for us to play off. That's never been Vardy's natural game (despite being a better footballer than he's been given credit for throughout his career) and Iheanacho's link-up play really hasn't been good enough this year. I think we would be more effective going forward if we had that player. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lionator said:

No way!! Slander!!! Dyer scored some great goals and was a decent finisher. Mavididis finishing is more akin to mark de Vries or Elvis Hammond. I loved Stephy to begin with, but his form really plateaued. He has good work rate, and some nice skill, and is a decen player at this level but nowhere near good enough for the prem unless he improves and learns a hell of a lot in the next few months.

• Like 3

Explained it well and the system is pretty much exactly as I've seen it. I think the point he makes about having 5 players back is both why this system is going to see us genuinely hard to break down but also why we're probably not going to be scoring that many under him either. I think we're relying on the system to keep the goals out and the individuals to work bits of magic going forward. It really surprises me we're yet to draw a game 0-0.

I really want to see us create a few more chances. That's my main gripe at the minute.

• Like 1