Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

16 hours ago, BluethroughtheMiddle said:

Amazing run of form and completely dominating the league, the quality of our players and the managers tactics is so nice to see after last years nightmare.

But..

Have we actually faced anyone who hasnt parked the bus yet apart from Liverpool?

Would like to see how we deal with attacking teams this season in prep for next.

...the big thing is that these teams that have come at us have been let down by their finishing!!!

Blackburn had a spell where they were successful pressing us as well as Coventry early in the second half, the only thing was they failed to convert very good chances.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

They really are two brilliant goals. It's hard to not be excited about our ceiling under Maresca.

Imagine if we had appointed someone like Scott Parker or stuck with Dean Smith. They may have been able to get us up and then again, I don't say that with any confidence, but there would have been no long term future under them. 

• Like 2

Guest Kopfkino
14 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

@StriderHiryu interesting that Casadei (7) average position is deeper then Ricardo's (21) and Winks (8).

That's has to be tactical.

I just don’t think he had that many touches further up the pitch, seemed to only really be involved when they had something breakdown and he won a good few headers from their goal kicks - average positions are determined by touches.

Look at his heatmap on here, especially compared to KDH, think he just found it hard to influence the game. Quite random for a right 8

https://www.sofascore.com/leicester-city-stoke-city/EG#11371538

Edited by Kopfkino

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Imagine if we had appointed someone like Scott Parker or stuck with Dean Smith. They may have been able to get us up and then again, I don't say that with any confidence, but there would have been no long term future under them. 

Just a reminder we won a EPL title that way.

This football is amazing when teams are scared of you and sit back, but we may not have that luxury past this season.

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Just a reminder we won a EPL title that way.

This football is amazing when teams are scared of you and sit back, but we may not have that luxury past this season.

Have you replied to the wrong post? How is this relevant to what I have posted? lol

The big difference for me is the fact that every player on the pitch looks eager to be involved and get on the ball, making runs into positions to receive and then move. Too many times last season players passed the ball and then remained static, giving the player in possession no options which meant we were predictable and going nowhere.

look at our first goal, Vesty makes a great pass out to the right, nothing is on so he gets it back, advances and goes left. At this point it is the players off the ball movement that stands out. Mavadidi plays to kdh but immediately makes a run looking for the return leaving two defenders undecided, creating the space for kdh to play into the middle. Ricardo has options everywhere, with players coming in from both sides, such that their defence is all at sea and the rest is history. 

Once players are playing with confidence to make these runs, knowing that they are contributing to the whole whether they receive the ball or not, it makes it easier for the player in possession to pick the best option.

Guest Kopfkino

I’m guessing Enzo’s thesis on Football & Chess isn’t available anywhere to read? Nor has he really discussed the idea publicly? I feel like @StriderHiryu would have found it by now. 

I’d love to read it. I’m sure I’ll lose a lot of people with this but I saw this on De Zerbi & find it an interesting thought (whether true or not). Chess & noughts and crosses are different magnitudes of complexity but I just wonder if his thesis gives indication to a game theory way of viewing football. 
https://twitter.com/thewittyjack/status/1704806166872707284

28 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I’m guessing Enzo’s thesis on Football & Chess isn’t available anywhere to read? Nor has he really discussed the idea publicly? I feel like @StriderHiryu would have found it by now. 

I’d love to read it. I’m sure I’ll lose a lot of people with this but I saw this on De Zerbi & find it an interesting thought (whether true or not). Chess & noughts and crosses are different magnitudes of complexity but I just wonder if his thesis gives indication to a game theory way of viewing football. 

Enzo I am sure..has his basics already grounded,but his major skills with that same surety,is going to be made ,formed and created along those basics he firmly holds..

This Leicester city is going to go through this season a new restructure and rebuild,

the man responsible will be Enzo a new coach with modern ideas,not yet practiced,

Enzo. Maresca will build,evolve create his reputation,with Leicester.

Sit back & enjoy the ride..

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

I couldn't find it. I think it's an actual dissertation so it must exist somewhere, but probably written in Italian and only available at educational facilities.

TBH the Iheanacho goal against Stoke IS his philosophy. Move the opponent's pieces to develop an advantage for yourself. Iheanacho was the Knight that was pinning both the Queen and the King! lol

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

It is in Italian, as you might expect. But I don't seem to be able to find it either.

Here is a good article that also mentions a fair bit about Enzo and his studies.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/enzo-maresca-tactics-leicester-city/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Guest Kopfkino
1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I couldn't find it. I think it's an actual dissertation so it must exist somewhere, but probably written in Italian and only available at educational facilities.

TBH the Iheanacho goal against Stoke IS his philosophy. Move the opponent's pieces to develop an advantage for yourself. Iheanacho was the Knight that was pinning both the Queen and the King! lol

24 minutes ago, ts_1010 said:

It is in Italian, as you might expect. But I don't seem to be able to find it either.

Here is a good article that also mentions a fair bit about Enzo and his studies.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/enzo-maresca-tactics-leicester-city/

Well it’s listed in the catalog of the library of the Technical Centre at Coverciano so I’ve contacted them to see if you can get it. I assume you can’t but I found the FAQs and DeepL translation says to contact them and arrange an appointment lol if anyone wants to head over
http://biblioteca.figc.it/12423/

Ranieri’s too which is apparently just a diary, classic.

http://biblioteca.figc.it/3788/

Shame it’s not public, some are public like Motta’s and Pirlo’s.

https://www.figc.it/it/tecnici/aula-multimediale/documenti/il-valore-del-pallone-lo-strumento-del-mestiere-nel-cuore-del-gioco-tesi-thiago-motta/

Another article with direct words from Maresca I haven’t seen before.

https://www.ilnapolista.it/2022/07/enzo-maresca-gli-scacchi-per-capire-il-calcio-se-piazzi-bene-i-giocatori-hai-vantaggi-sullavversario/

Yes I have spent an evening where I had things I needed to do scouring google in Italian :D

Edited by Kopfkino

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Pedantic but a knight can't pin another piece :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m really enjoying Maresca Ball the guy is a technical magician he has brought back the feel good factor to Leicester where before under Bodgers going to the ground felt like a chore he made you almost not want to go to the KP, but under Maresca it’s like you can’t wait to see what he’s going to dish up for the game ?

Hes rotating the squad early using his team to get match experience he breaks down the game bit by bit not going our way in the first half he completely changes it to suit our style of play to hurt the opposition they want to overload the box with a bus Enzo gets our lads to pull them out with the passing making space to score!

Thos man is one hell of a magician a footballing genius it’s bloody great to have a decent manager playing quality football at last giving the fans hope and entertainment and enthusiasm to be at the KP long may it last !

IN ENZO WE TRUST !!

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-manchester-city-guardiola-maresca-8818597

Leicester City repeating Pep Guardiola trick that saw Manchester City beat Real Madrid
Latest Leicester City news as Enzo Maresca talks about replicating a training method used by Pep Guardiola at Manchester City

ByLuke PawleyMidlands Football Writer
09:14, 10 OCT 2023

Leicester City manager Enzo Maresca is using a proven Pep Guardiola strategy to get results in the Championship.

Maresca and his players have already come up against teams who have sat deep when facing City, looking to soak up the pressure and making themselves tough to break down. It's something Leicester are more than prepared for, but no matter the opposition, it can often prove a difficult task.

Speaking in his press conference last week about how Leicester combat that in training, Maresca revealed he drafts in the club's young players to help out. It's something that works for Guardiola and Manchester City and is now being replicated at Seagrave.

READ MORE: Kelechi Iheanacho opens up on competition with Leicester City 'legend' Jamie Vardy

READ MORE: When Jamie Vardy and Wayne Rooney will come up against each other as decision made

"Almost every time, the day before the game, we use the under-21s," Maresca said. "And we try to use them in the same way the day after we are going to face a team.

"Even against the under-21s, when they sit back, we struggle to find the golden solution. But not because we are bad, because it's complicated to find when they are all there.

"When they press higher, we have more space. But even with the second team, that we use a lot, we struggle. It's normal."

It is a strategy used by Pep Guardiola at Manchester City, and one that seems to be working well for Leicester so far this season with just three points dropped in the league so far. One of Maresca's current colleagues, first team coach Danny Walker, spoke about the exercise under Guardiola back in 2020.

Walker led their second team in a session against Guardiola's first team when they were preparing to face Real Madrid in the Champions League. City ended up winning that game 2-1.

"We were Real Madrid so we did a great job!" Walker said three years ago. "Taking aside training our boys, just to go next to the pitch and watch Pep work... he's the best coach in the world so just to see him work and how he puts his ideas across, how he is with the players. The players in the first team environment are the very best in the world so the way that he gets his ideas across and the way that they buy into it."

• Like 1