Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Leicester City vs Leeds United Pre-Match Preview

D5MwuzH.png

^ Leeds lined up in a 4231 against Huddersfield (and Southampton). Notice that Joel Piroe actually plays as a number 10 for them, with Rutter as their main striker, though the two sometimes interchange.

fSHJQAh.png

^ Interestingly, they went 442 against Stoke, a match that they lost.

DbGY56s.png

^ The average position of Leeds players against Southampton. A fairly classical 4231 shape, though it looked like they were trying to target Ryan Manning, Southampton's inverted fullback, in this match.

Shy14Nr.png

^ A look at Leeds results and xG / xGA across all games. Some notable ones are that they beat Ipswich, but stats wise were a bit lucky. They lost to Stoke but deserved to win, and were fairly comprehensively beaten by Southampton.

Thoughts and Analysis

• Leeds tend to play 4231, though occasionally play 442.
  • Managed by Daniel Farke, their style of play is stereotypically modern German in style:
    • Reliant on Possession
    • Use width, primarily from their full-backs that bomb on.
    • Rely on quick transitions, with lots of verticality with passing through the centre of the pitch.
    • Gegenpressing when out of possession to turn the ball over high up the pitch.
  • Leeds are one of the most Jekyll and Hyde teams in the division. On their day unplayable, on their off-days, they don't look like they know how to play!
    • Their forward options are fantastic, and an argument could be made to say they are better than ours. Piroe, Rutter, James and Summerville have been starting recently, but they also have Gnotto (Everton bid 30M for him in the summer) and an out of form Patrick Bamford on the bench.
      • All of their forwards are incredibly rapid. Summerville and Gnoto are skilful and can beat their man.
      • Any sloppy passes that are stolen by their forwards will transition into attacking positions at breakneck speed, and they have better quality than Sunderland. Both James and Summerville scored twice each against Huddersfield.
    • They have a solid double-pivot of Glen Kamara (has played in a Europa League final) and Ethan Ampadu (plays for Wales, ex-Chelsea, European experience).
      • These two aren't the best on the ball, but are solid and have good ball winning stats.
      • This is an area where I think we will have a lot of success. Southampton were able to play through and around their midfield, and on paper Winks, KDH and Ricardo should be better than these two. I think Ndidi is a big miss though.
    • Defensively and between the sticks, Leeds are really suspect, as shown in their last Premier League era.
      • They've already made quite a few comical errors and are often caught ball-watching.
      • Their goalkeepers are good with their feet, but flap at the ball a lot. If we test their keeper, we can score. Look at the Southampton game where Meslier makes a meal of both of Adam Armstrong's goals.

This game is hard to call. If I had to pick one team in the Championship that are best suited to beat us, it's Leeds. Not only is their squad quality high, but they play the best counter-style to ours: high-pressing, fast transitions with FAST and skilful players in wide areas. They also have been given the optimal gameplan to follow by looking at the Sunderland game. Do what they did, do it better, and you can get something against us, maybe all 3 points. But all that said, you can't ignore that already this season they have had several poor performances, including a few where they don't seem to have turned up in at all. The Southampton game is also very telling, where they were soundly beaten, and that was when Russel Martin was under extreme pressure. In the end they have 53% of the ball, but that is mainly based on the second half when they were already 3-0 down and Southampton were seeing the game out.

In the last two games the biggest area of concern I have has been our sloppy passing. Teams aren't making chances against us, we are giving chances away to them. If we do that in this match, we will pay! However, even if it happens once or even twice, Leeds are a team that will give you chances themselves and we have a lot of quality up top too. But given that Leeds are away from home and there is less emphasis on them to win, plus their vocal away support, this could really suit them and more than any other game, this is one where I could see us dropping points. It would better suit us to play them away than at home.

The key duel is most likely going to be James Justin against Summerville, as I expect JJ to play at right back for this one to deal with him. I would personally put Faes in too, who is faster than Coady or Souttar to deal with Dan James, who is less skilful, but one of the fastest players in the division. In fact for that reason, perhaps Faes will deal with Summerville instead of JJ.

Finally, Leeds will 100% target Winks and Ricardo man-for-man as all teams seem to do against us now. Piroe and Rutter I expect will pay these a lot of attention. However, as Southampton showed, if we beat that press, their team opens up, and that's something we can exploit.

As always, great stuff @StriderHiryu

I think under mentioned this season is our shape out of possession (those few times we have been) and absolute commitment to running back into shape/ getting ourselves between ball and man. We've been under the cosh for pockets of almost very away game this season, but since the experimental Huddersfield & Rotherham games, teams have had momentum.but perhaps, say, only one serious chance in those phases 

It's in transition we can struggle...but surely that goes for any team..

I'm expecting Friday to see us for periods to actually allow Leeds the ball in a bid to bring them.out of shape and expose their poor midfield and defence 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

I haven’t seen any of the match @StriderHiryu but noticed one or two sensible posters in the match thread suggesting we looked leggy or tired rather than complacent. Thoughts? Has Enzo rotated enough?!?

I think the tiredness stems from lackadaisical passing. Our high press wasn’t so effective, but this wasn’t a game where it was needed as much. QPR were happy for us to have the ball!

I was expecting a lot more rotation, but in retrospect I think Enzo got it right. QPR were a much sterner test than imagined and had we made 5/6 changes, we’d have had even less fluency. But it seems inevitable that very soon we are going to see a game where the opposition outworks us, and it will be down to physical condition. Losing Ndidi was quite a blow. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I think under mentioned this season is our shape out of possession (those few times we have been) and absolute commitment to running back into shape/ getting ourselves between ball and man. We've been under the cosh for pockets of almost very away game this season, but since the experimental Huddersfield & Rotherham games, teams have had momentum.but perhaps, say, only one serious chance in those phases 

I'm expecting Friday to see us for periods to actually allow Leeds the ball in a bid to bring them.out of shape and expose their poor midfield and defence 

All this talk & build up…tugging this way or tother,keeps the forum going over the week….

I prefer to just wait ( throw the odd coins into the prematch fountain),

but really it’s the game itself, that 90 minute journey until the last whistle that bears the fruit of how we played..and the feelings of what we got right,or were able to handle during this next game…

I have said it more times…Enzo can set up his pre-match concepts,but it’s what he and players deliver during the game,and his solutions,that give me the games,enjoyment/disappointment…& squads learning curve…

We haveNo muster…simply because, LCFC,with Enzo,with players have never faced

any given scenario together….

One reason some fans couldn’t understand the end celebrations together….

I don’t really know,but I reckon it was the players,who wanted to thank the fans,for sticking with them on the day,nomatter how increasingly the challenge became due to pre conceived thoughts before the game…And both saw it won’t be easy,but we will find the solution….Thankyou..!

This will be the pattern deep into March, then other aspirations will materialise…

Edited by fuchsntf

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Great point. I definitely take our change in shape for granted as Southampton were the team that showed us what happens when the shape transition isn’t fast enough. 

Coventry game aside, not many teams have genuinely created chances against us. The big chances against us are all the same; a sloppy pass or turnover into a fast transition. But my point is that Leeds are the best team in the division at taking those chances, with a large number of goals coming from their wide players. 

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

Looking at the Leeds forum, they seem convinced that their playing style under Farke is notably different home vs away (and they don't like it) 

https://motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1131542

This does appear to be the way as they’ve used their 442 shape in those away games. I’d be surprised if they went that way against us given the Sunderland game, but it’s not impossible. 

Farke has won the Championship twice and knows what it takes to get up. They’ve made a good start overall, they are just unlucky that there are two freakishly good teams in the division this season. Them and Southampton look shoe-ins for the playoffs. However, to make up the points on 1st and 2nd seems too hard already. They could beat us twice and Ipswich again and still not do it. 

• Like 1

Question for those much smarter than I...both us and Man City utilise an inverted full back with a natural full back moving into a CDM type position. Given we both have 60%ish of the ball, does it not make more sense for a natural midfielder to learn how to drop back into defence?

With our own set up I think Ricardo is so technically good than he makes sense over Hamza, but it's a position which seems to be used with a fullback moving up the pitch rather than the other way round.

As I finished typing this I just realised Man City have also been using Stones in this position, which seems even more out there as he's not a natural full back or CDM.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Question for those much smarter than I...both us and Man City utilise an inverted full back with a natural full back moving into a CDM type position. Given we both have 60%ish of the ball, does it not make more sense for a natural midfielder to learn how to drop back into defence?

With our own set up I think Ricardo is so technically good than he makes sense over Hamza, but it's a position which seems to be used with a fullback moving up the pitch rather than the other way round.

As I finished typing this I just realised Man City have also been using Stones in this position, which seems even more out there as he's not a natural full back or CDM.

It's a bit of a moot point at the moment, as we don't have a DM who can do a better job than Ricardo.

39 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Great article in the Athletic today about the role of Vestergaard:

https://theathletic.com/5006019/2023/10/30/vestergaard-leicester-flying-start/

Specifically it mentions the recent tactical shift we saw used against teams that park the bus, when we push Ricardo up further to support the attack:

With the opportunity to commit more men forward after the dismissal, Choudhury made way for Ricardo Pereira, and Leicester attacked the back five with six.

“We worked on it in the international break,” said Maresca. “Another way to attack a line of five.”

Instead of joining Winks in the double pivot, Pereira jumped straight into the attacking line, while the right midfielder dropped behind the striker, as below.

lei-passing-e1698591347714.png

There are also instances where Casadei pushed up to make a second striker, with Ricardo playing in the 8 spot that Casadei left. With the opposition down to 10 men, or teams that have no intent to attack at all, it's something we can get away with.

But we won't use these tactics in either of the next two games, as Leeds and Boro like to play football!

The scenes when Vesty loses the ball in a position like that though lol

JJ gonna need all his wheels. 

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The scenes when Vesty loses the ball in a position like that though lol

JJ gonna need all his wheels. 

We've been lucky not to have conceded at least one goal like that, because we have turned it over a few times. TBH this also happens with Man City, and their "cheat code" is Kyle Walker, for the reasons you've given.

The problem is that Leeds have Dan James who is one of the fastest players in the league. Summerville, Rutter and Gnotto are also among the faster players in this division. The game comes down to how well we pass through that Leeds press, if we aren't sloppy and go through them, we will make chances ourselves, as evidenced by that Southampton game. But too many brain farts or sloppy passes and they will be in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

We've been lucky not to have conceded at least one goal like that, because we have turned it over a few times. TBH this also happens with Man City, and their "cheat code" is Kyle Walker, for the reasons you've given.

The problem is that Leeds have Dan James who is one of the fastest players in the league. Summerville, Rutter and Gnotto are also among the faster players in this division. The game comes down to how well we pass through that Leeds press, if we aren't sloppy and go through them, we will make chances ourselves, as evidenced by that Southampton game. But too many brain farts or sloppy passes and they will be in.

Enzo has shown several little tactical tweaks over the season, I think he will have a plan for Friday.

I think the players will be a lot sharper for this, its bills as a big game and they will be up for it. 

• Like 3

On 29/10/2023 at 20:33, HighPeakFox said:

I've thought we have looked tired in the last 2 games. Very glad that we have such a buffer already... 

This concerns me too, especially with the next few weeks testing the strength of our squad before our injured players are back to full functioning.  Friday will show us whether 6 days is enough time for our players to recover or whether we do have a tiredness problem throughout the squad that will start to tell on us.

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Enzo has shown several little tactical tweaks over the season, I think he will have a plan for Friday.

I think the players will be a lot sharper for this, its bills as a big game and they will be up for it. 

This is what I've been most impressed by - I thought we were bringing in the 'system' and as such it would mostly be getting used to it with subs being like for like replacements. But the little tweaks and amendments either in personnel (Souttar for Stoke's crosses) or the system itself (as above vs QPR, or starting to go longer if we can't beat the press) have been good to see. 

Enzo seems to be adding more little by little, ensuring we continue to get better. It's nice after recently spending a year not getting any better at defending corners.

• 11:33, 1 NOV 2023

“We have a big problem: it’s just October,” he had said after the win over QPR on Saturday. “I would like to be in the same position in February, March.

“They deserve it. We always judge and analyse the final score. The way they work every day on the ball and off the ball, how they try to learn this new idea, this new journey, they have made an unbelievable effort. They have open minds and they are fantastic.

“You can lose a game for many reasons. But for sure you’re going to lose games if you drop the intensity. They know that because we always mention that. If we maintain the intensity, we will win more games than we lose.”

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/two-new-leicester-city-pairings-8876435

Two new Leicester City pairings show Enzo Maresca's side is constantly evolving
Kelechi Iheanacho and Jamie Vardy shared the pitch for a brief period at the weekend and could be an option in the future as Maresca tries to make them unpredictable

ByJordan Blackwell
07:00, 2 NOV 2023

In each of the first 13 games of the Championship season, Jamie Vardy and Kelechi Iheanacho were never on the pitch at the same time.

Enzo Maresca had alternated between the two, sharing the striker role between them. When it got to around the 65-minute mark and it was to freshen up the attack, Maresca brought one on for the other.

But, for around four minutes at QPR, they were on the pitch together. During that period, Harry Winks scored City’s winner, and so with a lead to protect, Maresca made more changes and Vardy came off.

But that they shared the pitch is a sign of the slight tweaks that the manager is making as they evolve. The plan is to avoid ever becoming so predictable that they can be beaten.

Maresca has said that during the last international break, he worked with his side on how to beat a defensive line of five players. Usually, City have one striker, two wingers and two attacking midfielders pushing onto the opposition’s defence. When it’s a four, they outnumber them. When it’s a five, they do not, and finding a gap to break into becomes more difficult.

With City chasing a winner at Loftus Road, the tweak was made. After Andre Dozzell’s red card, Ricardo Pereira came on for Hamza Choudhury and played in Cesare Casadei’s position, allowing the Italian to push towards Vardy, essentially playing as a number 10. Now, City had six players attacking QPR’s five defenders, the tactic they worked on a couple of weeks ago.

Iheanacho eventually replaced Casadei and for the first time, City’s two main strikers were on the pitch together. It worked instantly, with QPR’s defence pushed back to create more space on the edge of the box from where Winks could fire into the net.

Maresca said: “We tried to change a little bit, the shape, with Ricardo inside for Cesare’s position and Cesare in behind the striker just to attack with six players the line of five. We tried it during the international break, how we can attack. The other solution is to play a long ball, but it’s not the way we try to play.”

The question now is whether Iheanacho and Vardy will ever start together in matches where Maresca anticipates a team playing with a back from kick-off. It certainly leaves the opposition guessing.

There was another intriguing selection at the back. It was expected that Maresca would always be choosing between Jannik Vestergaard and Conor Coady, and yet they started together.

Perhaps because he did not fear that QPR had the pace to hit City on the counter, Maresca chose to bring in Coady for Wout Faes and play him in the wide centre-back role. The summer signing did a solid job.

Coady has not had many opportunities since his injury recovery because Vestergaard has performed so well in the central role, but if Maresca feels he can play in Faes’ position, he no longer has to pick between the England and Denmark internationals. Faes is expected to come back into the team against Leeds this Friday, but he will know he cannot rest on his laurels if he has Coady for competition.

The manager said: “Conor can play in Jannik’s position and Jannik can play on the right side. Because since we’ve started, Jannik is there, so in this moment, he has managed the build-up quite good, so it was only for that reason.”

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino

See a fair bit of criticism for Vardy, KDH and Casadei and I wouldn’t dispute it but for me it was as much a tactical thing as the individuals. Leeds had that triangle completely sussed and yet we didn’t have an alternative all game, it feels like if we were still playing tomorrow morning we’d not have tweaked it. Maresca talks about giving the players solutions, today they had none.

Which goes to the heart of the issue for me tonight which was a lack of tactical pragmatism with the ball. Southampton were pragmatic against them, completely ignored the press from the start and just went over it. They didn’t mind losing the ball cos they’d just press them high, Stoke did similar but with less quality. Incidentally, today we also got nowhere near them with our press. It feels like the Sunderland game gave us an aversion to going long but there’s a huge difference between reactive pumping it long to a lone Mavididi and setting out early to push Casadei on, bringing Mavididi narrow and playing it long. They got joy from pressing us twice in the first 2/3 minutes. As Gary O’Neill said the other week, you want your players to see the plan work early in the game to breed confidence in it. Leeds got exactly that and we did nothing to put any doubt in their minds.

See Man City first game of the season against Burnley. Pep was about one tactical evolution away from playing a big man, little man long ball game. 

Pep said last week his strategy for Arsenal away was shit. I hope Maresca admits the same today.