Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

On 07/11/2023 at 08:42, Tom12345 said:

Opportunity to learn. Hope Enzo will.

With the team we have, we should be creating far more chances than we have in the season so far, but Enzo’s style is long term though it has not gotten to the level that I am sure he wants to yet. This is a good learning lesson and I am sure he wants the players to continue to feel confident about playing positively and our style.

However, we were always going to get found out if we do not improve. Our passing at the back has been suicidal at times but we were just lucky that at the championship level we were often not punished. Leeds employed an ultra intensive high press (which many EPL teams can do for long periods) and we struggled. We still have a lot to learn but fortunately we have months to do so at this level.

What I am slightly concerned about is that our patient style will turn a bit into Rodgerball if we are afraid to attack. But patience can be a positive thing if it is more about waiting with belief rather than passing back out of fear. Big difference so hopefully we do not turn down the wrong path.

So while disappointing this Leeds game needed to come to show us our weakness (what others have coined as us not getting out of first gear).

I hope this helps Enzo and the team to find that second gear because I am not sure we actually have that developed in our arsenal yet.

PS. I think a second gear involves playing quickly in transition. I have noticed that we have regressed in decision making recently with us choosing to pass backwards rather than try a forward pass in 50/50 situations but where the opposition is running back and out of shape. If we compare us with Man City, we don’t play like Man City much - Man City attack quick and they also do counter attacks. We almost don’t anymore.

Yep, we are still struggling to get into a second gear. We had more chances this game but we really do not have much idea how to be relentless in attack even when we are chasing. Quite disappointed we didn’t even have any chance in the last 5 mins - just pass pass pass then lose the ball. A kick in the backside. 

Just now, Unabomber said:

What would you have done? I don’t know his plan b do I 

Said in the match thread about Winks, Choudhury and Ricardo occupying the same space so would have probs brought on Casadei as uninspiring as he's been. Hooked Mavididi for anyone because he was pathetic. Dropped Nacho into the 10 and got Vardy/Cannon on. But I would definitely encourage the players to stand on the ball and take 5 seconds with a couple of minutes to go...

5 minutes ago, Danno said:

Sunderland laid the blueprint to play against us but didn’t have the quality to win, just pressure us constantly and we’ll never score 

but that's not what middlesboro did?  we had acres of space and bags of time - the outcome today is the combination of a great free kick against a horribly toothless attack.

We love you Enzo but you've some answering to do and don't say "we will lose more games" like its some pre-emptive strategy. All things being equal these last few games simple have not been good enough. We are struggling and its clear to see. I'm keeping the faith. We still have a lead (I think) and there's an international break now to have words with the team. Sad loss today.  :revenge:

6 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Happened the moment Ndidi got injured. Nobody can change my mind - he’s probably our second most important player behind Winks. Nobody else makes runs in behind like he does.

No it is not about one person. Not what Enzo is trying to instill anyway. The problem is the lack of urgency in our build up. We often pass back when in the middle of building up and we lose momentum. In this game against Boro, the biggest culprits are Justin and Hamza. Keep it going boys - don’t fear.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

Thought we created more than enough openings, but decision making and quality from the players let us down today. We don't concede a lot and mostly through our own brainfarts (like Jannik backheeling the ball into trouble ending with the freekick, they scored from).

Seems like we are our own worst enemy and we are beating ourselves at the moment. Enzo needs to getting something clicking over the break.

Starting to look like Rodgers ball.

Only one plan.

Played at one pace.

Only difference is Enzo rotates the squad and makes subs at a sensible time, not in the last minute.

What was looking a cake walk is starting to look like a really long fight we may not win.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

We needed to score during that long period when we were camped in their half, but our play around their box was so ponderous, indecisive and lacking in urgency. Then they score with a wonder free kick and we just don’t threaten them again. I’m fully on board with Maresca for what he’s achieved so far, but you’d think we’d be able to find another gear when we’re chasing a game with a few minutes left. Today we made it so easy for them to defend that lead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

No it is not about one person. Not what Enzo is trying to instill anyway. The problem is the lack of urgency in our build up. We often pass back when in the middle of building up and we lose momentum. In this game against Boro, the biggest culprits are Justin and Hamza. Keep it going boys - don’t fear.

I think Ndidi not being in the squad is a massive issue both going forwards and defensively.

4 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

Sadly it’s scoring goals that win a match mate, not possession. 

And chances created wise we were better and would have won that 90% of the time - a worldie you can't legislate for and Nacho not having his shooting boots on was the difference. It'd be like if we beat leeds last week because Fatawus shot was an inch lower and Rutter skied that tap in - that wouldn't have meant we were actually better going forward than leeds were.

21 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

but that's not what middlesboro did?  we had acres of space and bags of time - the outcome today is the combination of a great free kick against a horribly toothless attack.

absolutely toothless. we created not a single half chance even when we were chasing in the last 5 mins. maybe pumping the ball into the box could have at least created some panic and unpredictability in the box. yet, we just pass pass pass then back pass and nothing happens. 

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Starting to look like Rodgers ball.

Only one plan.

Played at one pace.

Only difference is Enzo rotates the squad and makes subs at a sensible time, not in the last minute.

What was looking a cake walk is starting to look like a really long fight we may not win.

It’s not really. With Rodgers we conceded pretty much every time the opposition came forward. In our three losses so far, we have conceded a total of 3 goals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamkhalifa said:

Like last week. The way we play looks amazing when we win. But, it's horrible to watch when we are losing. 

There is no plan B. We just have to win, with plan A. 
Keep the ball to death, because we play by possession of the ball, not the goals scored, or conceded. 

I think you nailed it. When we out possessed teams and had that ruthless cutting edge in front of goal it was a double threat. So every time we get on the ball teams used to freak out as they knew the outcome. Now they are realizing we are toothless and so aren't too bothered when we have 70+ possession as we are no danger to them except in patches. That fear factor has been eroded and I fear the rest of the league have caught onto it. Enzo needs to fix this and quickly or I see us struggling more week in and week out.