Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

9 minutes ago, lcfcdamo said:

People are so braindead and no absolutely nothing about football on here. We completely dominated them the ball just wouldn't go in they have 1 free kick and goal 

Sorry Pep, last I heard goals mean more than domination.

Il double check my notes from all my Uefa coaching badges just to sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

We needed to score during that long period when we were camped in their half, but our play around their box was so ponderous, indecisive and lacking in urgency. Then they score with a wonder free kick and we just don’t threaten them again. I’m fully on board with Maresca for what he’s achieved so far, but you’d think we’d be able to find another gear when we’re chasing a game with a few minutes left. Today we made it so easy for them to defend that lead. 

Agree. We should but we actually may not have a second gear, not yet anyway. 

We started the season and in our 1st 4 matches we didn't take the lead until after our 2nd change. 

Fresh legs, I thought was part of the gameplan against teams tired from chasing all game

We had a good run of scoring early and now we just appear to wait for a goal instead of changing the personel

Shouldn't have lost today, we weren't that bad, but just couldn't score - some days you get them, but the lack of subs irriates me when we have the strongest bench the championship is likely ever to see.

More than today, It is still the Leeds game where we created nothing and still didn't change anything that annoys me

I think something worth mentioning that is a bit of a trend is the amount of "nailbiter" games we seem to end with. By "nailbiter" i mean games where we go into the final 15 minutes or so where we are either 1 goal ahead or drawing, where the opposition only have to pounce on a mistake and steal points from us. So far this season these are the nailbiters:

vs Coventry (1-0 down in the 77th min, won 2-1)
vs Huddersfield (73rd min winner)
vs Cardiff (1-1 before a 92nd minute winner)
vs Rotherham (1-1 before scoring winner in the 84th min) 
vs Norwich (1-0 up before finishing the game in the 87th min)

vs Preston (1-0 up until the 76th min, won 3-0 in the end)
vs Stoke (1-0 until the 90th min)
vs QPR (1-1, 80th min winner vs 10 men)
vs Boro (0-0 until 83rd min goal cost us the game)

Some of these results can be looked at in different ways for example Preston where we ended up quite comfortable, but the point is in all of these games we have go into the final 3rd of the game in the same position we were in today where the opposition is just a goal away or a mistake away from taking points from us. 
It's worth noting that in most of these games even when we have conceded I've still felt like we will get a result as we have the individual quality to make things happen, but in most of these games we had ample chances to put the games to bed long before that final period, but far too often we spend the first half slowly and waste a lot of chances. 

Things can come good, we definitely need to look at the Vardy/Ian/Daka situation in January as something isn't really clicking there, but with that said I can imagine it's hard to click given we hold so much possession the opposition just crowd the striker out, so given the wages the 3 of them are on, to have something like 9 goals between them is not really sustainable, but I suppose we would struggle to change JV's situation given his contract is almost up anyway. 
But overall I think it's really important that as much as we have turned the ship around under Enzo and we finally have a blueprint and a decent culture around the club again, Enzo's work so far really cannot be understated, we do need to find a solution because we have the quality to put most of these games to bed earlier, and although the table does not lie, we are top and deserve to be, today is a reminder of what can happen when you don't take chances.
Credit to Boro they deserved a win today IMO, they played really well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lcfcdamo said:

Yer im not saying they dont but people are saying we played poor and thats just not the case!!!!

I'm really not meaning to start an argument with you, as actually I agree with the majority of your posts on here...

But..I do think we looked poor. Defensively we didn't look too bad, but I thought in midfield & attack we looked complete and utterly clueless for the whole 90 minutes. 

Like I say, not an argument,  just different opinions. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I'm really not meaning to start an argument with you, as actually I agree with the majority of your posts on here...

But..I do think we looked poor. Defensively we didn't look too bad, but I thought in midfield & attack we looked complete and utterly clueless for the whole 90 minutes. 

Like I say, not an argument,  just different opinions. 

That nacho chance hits the post and goes in and that freekick from them goes over everyone is saying how well we played second half 100%

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

I wondered when the "No plan B" would rear its ugly head as if we knew what a plan B would look like.  It is our first wobble and we have only just been beaten by a single goal, and the Championship as we know is an unforgiving league.

I find when people say no plan b they are basically calling for us to hoof it forward to a big lump up front.

Reality is he makes many changes in game (playing 2 up front v QPR, Ricardo further forward v Leeds etc) 

He's never going to go direct as it's not what he believes is the most effective way to win the game. He's not playing like that to win style points.

• Like 1

(Posted in 2 very similar threads)

For all the comparison that have been made I personally don't think we've been anything like Man City.

Yes we've dominated possession but for all the joke and jibes about people shouting "Forwards!" we largely have been very front footed and forwards, I've found it very entertaining, exciting and rather enjoyable (And there is more to it than just because we've been winning) it's quite clear in the modern game I've got to be the one who changes and accepts possession based football, if this/that/what we've seen for most of this season is the compromise I have to make then so be it but it's polar opposites to what we've seen in the last few years and nothing like Man City imo - they much like the last two seasons with ourselves bore the life out of me.

Now, in the last 2 games, it seems we've been found out a little.

Without contradicting myself I do believe, like most/all modern managers Enzo is a "If Plan A isn't working, do Plan A better" type, but we have shown under him (Whether he likes it or not) we can be flexible, play in different ways and we can grind games out, however, we need to work on that, alot!

In this division I can see why we play the way we are and it's bought us success in games more often than not, but you can't play in a one size fits all style all the time, you get found out, it's arguably easy to play against and you can almost predict what we're going to do.

I get it in this division, teams are gonna play against us and defend, put players behind the ball and when we make mistakes playing this way against them it often goes unpunished and it just come across as abit impotent, however if/when we go up I foresee big problems playing this way and i'm not sure I could excuse or legislate for it.

51 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

I rate Enzo but he needs to tweak his tactics to unlock the attack. We created chances today but it looks stodgy at times. I also think someone needs to tell him it's not a crime to change the shape.

Yeah there doesn't seem to be much thinking outside the box. When KDB got injured, Pep decided to play with 2 strikers. Kel almost played most of the game as a midfielder, coming deep to collect balls from Mads. With Ndidi injured it seems logical to play him in a deeper role with another striker up top, who ever that may be, but I dont think Enzo will ever do that as he sees it as a slight of his gameplan.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, King Claudio said:

Reality is he makes many changes in game (playing 2 up front v QPR, Ricardo further forward v Leeds etc) 

The QPR was the exception, 

But the Leeds was still the same system, Farke changed at HT to double up against our wingers and completely nullify our wingers and it worked. We just changed personnel and tried to force it. Hamza could have came on and sat deep alongside Harry with Ricci & JJ playing as more traditional full backs to support the wingers would have been a plan B -( it doesn’t have to be hook and hope) otherwise it feels like for like -same plan, different players .in the last 2 matches I’m critical of the lack of changes, but just critical and still very much have faith in Enzo

It was clear in the 1st game of the season the plan A is the choice and part of that plan is tiring teams out so it comes good late in matches and (except Leeds) it has worked. May have lost today and against Hull, but in both matches we created enough chances to have had a better result. 

But still interested to see how we approach the next match with so many Midfielders unavailable 

Edited by beepee1984

The lack of subs cost us today. Our game plan is usually around taking teams apart in the final 20 minutes, something that's enhanced by numerous fresh legs.

I think the last two games tells us enough about what he thinks about what's left of the bench. Yes we're 3-4 players down from our full squad but I'm concerned.

• Like 3

I do find it a little frustrating that we don’t really have a more attacking system to role our when we go behind. 

Theres just no real change of shape or urgency. We need to roll the dice a little more. 

It’s just hard to sit and be patient when we are trailing like that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

absolutely toothless. we created not a single half chance even when we are chasing in the last 5 mins. maybe pumping the ball into the box could have at least created some panic and unpredictability in the box. yet, we just pass pass pass then back pass and nothing happens. 

Not strictly true - we had 7 of our 12 shots after the 67th minute - unfortunately, 5 of those shots were wide of the goal.  It's not enough, but it should have been enough to get at least 1 goal against a team that has conceded tonnes of goals.

So much has been said about the poor finishing in this league, but we've been pretty guilty ourselves of poor finishing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beechey said:

Happened the moment Ndidi got injured. Nobody can change my mind - he’s probably our second most important player behind Winks. Nobody else makes runs in behind like he does.

But if Maresca has been found out, as the above post to this said, he obviously seen something to put Ndidi in a more advanced position in the first place.