Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

59 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Substitutions!... delay delay delay.  

When everyone on here (and rightly so) is screaming out for awful individual displays to be replaced he almost stubbornly keeps the player on!... remind you of anyone?

Rodgers had two good seasons, two poor season, so to draw any comparison with his time with us is, at best, unreliable, to parallel the two managers based on enzo not making substitutions late in a couple of games is really desperate.

I'm sure every single manager at some point has angered fans by not taking off an underperforming player, to single out such an action as being the trademark of a certain manager is extremely selective.

So, frankly, no, enzo reminds me not a bit of rodgers. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Yeah, bit odd with the subs, but such an insignificant thing is a lot to base such a comparison on, especially as rodgers had such a jekyll and hyde career with us.

I think you just have to accept and appreciate that as Rodgers did such a job on us, people will not have got over it yet and those comparisons will be quick to come to for some.

At the end of the day, Enzo hasn’t proven anything yet. He’s had a positive start but he’s not shown how he will deal with a dip in form (as he hasn’t had to yet). It’s natural for people to remember December 2019 when we had been on a long winning run, started with a couple of bad performances (Everton and Norwich) before losing to a couple of the stronger sides in the league (Man City and Liverpool). We then fell apart. 

Hopefully just all very loose and only a connection made by trauma from the Rodgers era and the power of over thinking, and that we come back from the break firing again. But I think that is where the worry comes from basically.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think you just have to accept and appreciate that as Rodgers did such a job on us, people will not have got over it yet and those comparisons will be quick to come to for some.

At the end of the day, Enzo hasn’t proven anything yet. He’s had a positive start but he’s not shown how he will deal with a dip in form (as he hasn’t had to yet). It’s natural for people to remember December 2019 when we had been on a long winning run, started with a couple of bad performances (Everton and Norwich) before losing to a couple of the stronger sides in the league (Man City and Liverpool). We then fell apart. 

Hopefully just all very loose and only a connection made by trauma from the Rodgers era and the power of over thinking, and that we come back from the break firing again. But I think that is where the worry comes from basically.

Comparing any team with any previous team is meaningless, generally speaking.

This is a tactics thread, if someone wants to talk about specific rodgers' tactics in relation to the current tactics , fair enough - but posters should be specific, other wise it adds nothing to the discussion.  

Some wafer thin coincidence that we lost a couple of games whilst making limited substitutions is just knee-jerk paranoia, save it for this mental thread....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

decent and measured article from Blackwell that. Think this whole idea that we were 'simply a cut above' the rest of the league can be abandoned now. And if Maresca is smart he can use it to his advantage to ensure no complacency sets in. Bad week or so for us, but given the relegation we had, the club being in shambles and all the work we had to do in the summer, we'd have all taken 8 points clear of 3rd at this stage!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

There's a difference between 'forecasting a defeat' and trying to keep our feet on the ground.

I don't think it's a case of him knowing best - it's a case of having managed 16 games and trying to keep some consistency and to, let's face it, get Plan A to stick before he starts trying to introduce modifications to the system.

I would love to stick with plan A,  I do like that style.  But at this time, the team seem to struggle implementing it.

3 hours ago, Oldblueyes said:

I would love to stick with plan A,  I do like that style.  But at this time, the team seem to struggle implementing it.

...we do implement it well, we are steeped into this possession game!!!

Getting to understand and master and carry out the Manager's ideas was part 1, part 2 now needs to be, being braver on the ball and not see going all the way back to the CB's and then the keeper as the way to build to go forward.

If either winger has the ball and pass back into midfield, then it goes back to Justin or other defender and he is on the half turn,  where the easier and safer option is to go back towards our goal,  as opposed to stepping in and make a forward pass, where we are going to be on the front foot. The players might now have tired of the process, they need to be challenged going forward with something else for them to learn and conquer. 

Things do become repetitive after awhile. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So two poor games.  The idea that Maresca has “only a plan A” (what journalistic moron came up with that anyway?) is rubbish.  Certainly all managers have a style they prefer, but it’s way too early to say he’s a one trick pony.  Honestly, I thought the players were at fault.  They’re getting way too confident and not hungry enough.  We’ll see if Maresca has good man management, which I believe is the current problem.

4 minutes ago, Sionnach gorm said:

So two poor games.  The idea that Maresca has “only a plan A” (what journalistic moron came up with that anyway?) is rubbish.  Certainly all managers have a style they prefer, but it’s way too early to say he’s a one trick pony.  Honestly, I thought the players were at fault.  They’re getting way too confident and not hungry enough.  We’ll see if Maresca has good man management, which I believe is the current problem.

I think it’s a mixture of both, both the players and Maresca for not rejigging the players hardly any substitutions these past two games is a bit daft tbh.

• Like 2

Guest Sideshow Faes
6 minutes ago, Sionnach gorm said:

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

I think it’s a mixture of both, both the players and Maresca for not rejigging the players hardly any substitutions these past two games is a bit daft tbh.

Firstly hardly any teams have a plan b. It's a nonsense thing for people to complain about.

In terms of personnel and subs we don't really have any game changers on the bench. Who could be have brought on that would've fundamentally altered things. He did chuck vardy on with nacho near the end but before their goal we looked the more likely victors. Enzo clearly doesn't rate his options, which I agree with him about, which hopefully night lead to some January business being done.

I think there a players who are too one footed in the team at the minute. This style won't be able to work fully till it can flow quicker than it does currently.

Too many times there's a play on but there's an extra touch or two to set it up..in that time it's gone, or at least closed down in time/space available. So that leads to the passes backwards because of pressure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, slymunn said:

I think there a players who are too one footed in the team at the minute. This style won't be able to work fully till it can flow quicker than it does currently.

Too many times there's a play on but there's an extra touch or two to set it up..in that time it's gone, or at least closed down in time/space available. So that leads to the passes backwards because of pressure. 

Too often we go for the easy pass. 
Harry Winks is a perfect example, he’s miles above this level, and we’ve seen the sort of goals he can score and the passes he’s capable of making, and I know that he’s integral to the way we play, but as much as he’s been the standout player, even now we are completely wasting the talent in his locker IMO. 
He has the ability to be far more progressive than he is, this season in the league he’s been brilliant and we all talk about his amazing pass accuracy stats, but he’s made almost 1500 passes, roughly 300 of them have been forward. Almost 1200 have been backwards or sideways. 

So much obvious talent in his locker going to waste, he’s one of the best players in our system but he’s very clearly hampered by it also. 

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Too often we go for the easy pass. 
Harry Winks is a perfect example, he’s miles above this level, and we’ve seen the sort of goals he can score and the passes he’s capable of making, and I know that he’s integral to the way we play, but as much as he’s been the standout player, even now we are completely wasting the talent in his locker IMO. 
He has the ability to be far more progressive than he is, this season in the league he’s been brilliant and we all talk about his amazing pass accuracy stats, but he’s made almost 1500 passes, roughly 300 of them have been forward. Almost 1200 have been backwards or sideways. 

So much obvious talent in his locker going to waste, he’s one of the best players in our system but he’s very clearly hampered by it also. 

no offence but i think you are way off. The reason for winks playing that way is largely to attract the press for us to break the lines. 

It might seem frustrating at times as we watch what seems like a lame safety pass but that’s because sometimes the opposition don’t take the bait. But the one moment they do, we break the line… and he’s done that near on perfect all season. 

This game absolutely suits him and he’d probably tell you that himself.  I don’t understand why our own fans can’t see that it’s a methodical move not a safety play. 

it’s always going to seem terrible when we have an off day and it doesn’t bear fruits. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

no offence but i think you are way off. The reason for winks playing that way is largely to attract the press for us to break the lines. 

It might seem frustrating at times as we watch what seems like a lame safety pass but that’s because sometimes the opposition don’t take the bait. But the one moment they do, we break the line… and he’s done that near on perfect all season. 

This game absolutely suits him and he’d probably tell you that himself.  I don’t understand why our own fans can’t see that it’s a methodical move not a safety play. 

it’s always going to seem terrible when we have an off day and it doesn’t bear fruits. 

I do understand the purpose, it just is not working very well in terms of end result. The teams often either aren’t taking the bait because it’s very obvious how we want to play, or we pass the ball to death and are too hesitant to make the progressive pass when the opportunity arises. The main frustration though is that when we get the ball on the break we default to this same style where we turn a 3vs3 counter into an 8vs11 parked outside their 18 yard box with no way in. 

I appreciate dominating the ball, I love watching Man City play, the key difference is though we don’t seem yet to know when to press the button.  
As I’ve said I think Winks is doing an amazing job, but I think he has so much talent that is not being utilised for the sake of the perfect passing goal. Would love to see him getting forward, taking more shots and putting some more penetrating passes in. 

It is a situation as simple as score the goals and we win the games. When we score, we win…. When you look at the Boro game in its entirety it wasn’t actually that bad…. The fact they scored late on with an absolute world beater doesn’t tell the whole story. 

We missed plenty of clear cut chances, and this is something we’ve got to remedy…. I’ve got a good feeling about Cannon, I don’t know why because I don’t know much about him, but he looked pretty decent in front of goal whilst at Preston…. 

We need the two high 8’s to be more clinical and a striker that’s going to average a goal at least every other game, then we will be laughing. Defensively we’re fine, it’s just the attack that’s hindering us at the moment. 

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/enzo-maresca-talks-through-leicester-8907360

Enzo Maresca explains Leicester City plan for international break before 'starting again'
Leicester City arrive at the November international break at the top of the Championship table but having lost their last two fixtures 1-0 to Leeds and Middlesbrough

ByJordan Blackwell
08:00, 15 NOV 2023

Finding “new solutions” and then “starting again” is Enzo Maresca’s plan for the international break.

Leicester City arrive into the third international period of the season in an excellent position in the Championship table, sitting top with an eight-point cushion inside the automatic promotion places. But they also come into the fortnight break on the back of two 1-0 losses to Leeds and Middlesbrough.

Maresca won’t have all of his squad available to work with as many of his players are representing their countries over the next week. But his troops will be bolstered by the imminent returns from injury of Wilfred Ndidi, Yunus Akgun, and Dennis Praet.

With those staying behind and those close to fitness, the plan is to work on individual development, as in previous international breaks, and on how collectively they can find “new solutions”. The attack is likely to be the focus, with City having scored just three goals in their last four games, the fewest of all of the sides in the top half.

“We have many players who are away with their international teams,” Maresca said. “We have some players who are going to be with us. Always, like we have done in the past, we try to focus with the players we have to try to work with them, improve them and give them some more solutions.

“Then hopefully after the international break we will recover some players from injury. We’ll also recover the players in terms of energy. We’re going to try to start again. We always try to look for new solutions.”

City return to action against Watford in a fortnight’s time, the first of a run of seven fixtures in which they play six bottom-half sides. That will then take them to the halfway point of the campaign, with the huge Boxing Day clash against Ipswich to follow.

• Like 1

I think we have to accept that this is the way football is evolving now and I don't think there is any going back. In a couple of years time I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of teams in the top 2 divisions are playing some form of possession based inverted full-back system (the obvious exceptions being throwbacks like Dyche). It will then simply be a matter of who can do it better (i.e. who has the better players).

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

20 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think we have to accept that this is the way football is evolving now and I don't think there is any going back. In a couple of years time I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of teams in the top 2 divisions are playing some form of possession based inverted full-back system (the obvious exceptions being throwbacks like Dyche). It will then simply be a matter of who can do it better (i.e. who has the better players).

Pep will have made something new by then!