Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

56 minutes ago, bmt said:

Pep will have made something new by then!

...to an extent this!!!

There has been compromise with the total possession and the Liverpool style of the press. There is a feeling that teams are becoming a hybrid of both but we are still in the infancy of total possession, where the weakness in the transition is now being tackled and the need for the possession stats is not so fundamental.

We need to embrace less possession and a higher tempo way of playing when it is called for. Doing the same building from the back when we are a goal down and 1 minute on the clock of extra time, only proves we are dogmatic in what we do and do not have the ability to change our game when it is most needed.

...with the style of play that he has brought to the club, it is a wonder why he is not heavily involved with the U21s!!!

Why has he not implemented his style of play for upcoming players to be ready-made replacements, should he consider that they are of a sufficient standard?

It is all very well playing the U21s in different positions, but that is what we should have been doing for 12-year-olds to learn, once you are 18 you should be learning how to play in a fixed role, not surprisingly the U21 turns out such inconsistent results.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/enzo-maresca-employs-toilet-metaphor-8907387

Enzo Maresca employs toilet metaphor over dedication to Leicester City tactics
Even the most aggressive of man-marking sides will not force Maresca into changing his gameplan, and he has used an odd metaphor to make that point to his players

ByJordan Blackwell
11:00, 15 NOV 2023

Enzo Maresca is dedicated to his Leicester City gameplan and won’t change it even if the opposition “come man to man in the toilet”.

The City boss has established a clear idea since arriving at the King Power Stadium, with his focus is on keeping possession and controlling the space. Teams have tried to disrupt that by being aggressive in their approach.

City struggled at times against Sunderland, who were relentless in their pressing of those in blue, while Leeds had joy at the start of both halves at the King Power Stadium when they pushed high to force Maresca’s men into mistakes. But even the most diligent of man-to-man markers won’t prompt the Italian to change his ways.

“Against Leeds, they shoot 11, we shoot 10,” Maresca said, analysing the club's last home defeat. “They shoot six on goal and we shoot one. But the problem is not if you hit the goal, the important thing is to arrive there.

“For instance, Abdul (Fatawu), he had a volley in the six-yard box, but he put the ball over. The problem is when you don’t arrive there. The reason why I said after Leeds that I was happy, and I’m still happy analysing the game, is because of that.

“We could be a little bit more effective, yes. But the Leeds players, they have a mum, dad, and a son, they want to play football like us. They use their weapons, they are very quick. We tried to defend transitions, but we knew we would concede something.

“But not for that we are going to change our way to play. No chance. Until the day I will be here, even if they come man to man in the toilet, I don’t care.

“Sometimes when we play a game against man-to-man teams, I say to my players: ‘Guys, they’re going to follow you to the toilet, it doesn’t matter, be ready for that.’"

Occasionally, Maresca does not know if the opposition plan to press his team aggressively. His pre-game analysis is sometimes wasted as the opponent deviate from their usual approach in order to try to stop his team.

He said: "The only problem is, and it has already happened many times this season, that the team play in one way, but when we face them, they completely change. So for us, it’s a process where we need to adapt to that.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/enzo-maresca-employs-toilet-metaphor-8907387

Enzo Maresca employs toilet metaphor over dedication to Leicester City tactics
Even the most aggressive of man-marking sides will not force Maresca into changing his gameplan, and he has used an odd metaphor to make that point to his players

ByJordan Blackwell
11:00, 15 NOV 2023

Enzo Maresca is dedicated to his Leicester City gameplan and won’t change it even if the opposition “come man to man in the toilet”.

The City boss has established a clear idea since arriving at the King Power Stadium, with his focus is on keeping possession and controlling the space. Teams have tried to disrupt that by being aggressive in their approach.

City struggled at times against Sunderland, who were relentless in their pressing of those in blue, while Leeds had joy at the start of both halves at the King Power Stadium when they pushed high to force Maresca’s men into mistakes. But even the most diligent of man-to-man markers won’t prompt the Italian to change his ways.

“Against Leeds, they shoot 11, we shoot 10,” Maresca said, analysing the club's last home defeat. “They shoot six on goal and we shoot one. But the problem is not if you hit the goal, the important thing is to arrive there.

“For instance, Abdul (Fatawu), he had a volley in the six-yard box, but he put the ball over. The problem is when you don’t arrive there. The reason why I said after Leeds that I was happy, and I’m still happy analysing the game, is because of that.

“We could be a little bit more effective, yes. But the Leeds players, they have a mum, dad, and a son, they want to play football like us. They use their weapons, they are very quick. We tried to defend transitions, but we knew we would concede something.

“But not for that we are going to change our way to play. No chance. Until the day I will be here, even if they come man to man in the toilet, I don’t care.

“Sometimes when we play a game against man-to-man teams, I say to my players: ‘Guys, they’re going to follow you to the toilet, it doesn’t matter, be ready for that.’"

Occasionally, Maresca does not know if the opposition plan to press his team aggressively. His pre-game analysis is sometimes wasted as the opponent deviate from their usual approach in order to try to stop his team.

He said: "The only problem is, and it has already happened many times this season, that the team play in one way, but when we face them, they completely change. So for us, it’s a process where we need to adapt to that.”

Can't wait for @StriderHiryu graphics on the effectiveness of man to man marking in the bog 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Don't like Maresca' preferred style? Go and support Leeds instead, says the man himself.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/enzo-maresca-tells-leicester-city-8910299

5 hours ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

Strange comment

I want to believe that it's just a slight language barrier/reporting issue, I don't believe that he's saying "If you don't like it then FO" but it does come across that way with how it's been reported lol

On 13/11/2023 at 16:19, sacreblueits442 said:

...we do implement it well, we are steeped into this possession game!!!

Getting to understand and master and carry out the Manager's ideas was part 1, part 2 now needs to be, being braver on the ball and not see going all the way back to the CB's and then the keeper as the way to build to go forward.

If either winger has the ball and pass back into midfield, then it goes back to Justin or other defender and he is on the half turn,  where the easier and safer option is to go back towards our goal,  as opposed to stepping in and make a forward pass, where we are going to be on the front foot. The players might now have tired of the process, they need to be challenged going forward with something else for them to learn and conquer. 

Things do become repetitive after awhile. 

A lot of people were clamouring for justin to come in for Doyle and castigating doyle (i suspect either for struggling against hull or for being with us on loan?) - i said at the time be careful what you wish for.

Whilst he does seem to be getting some confidence back he remains a terribly negative player and rarely plays anything that isn't a 100% likely pass, adding to the fact that his rightfootedness is also a hindrance, it's no surpeise that we've lost some of our dynamism since he's been out.

• Like 2

On 15/11/2023 at 05:16, cityfanlee23 said:

I do understand the purpose, it just is not working very well in terms of end result. The teams often either aren’t taking the bait because it’s very obvious how we want to play, or we pass the ball to death and are too hesitant to make the progressive pass when the opportunity arises. The main frustration though is that when we get the ball on the break we default to this same style where we turn a 3vs3 counter into an 8vs11 parked outside their 18 yard box with no way in. 

I appreciate dominating the ball, I love watching Man City play, the key difference is though we don’t seem yet to know when to press the button.  
As I’ve said I think Winks is doing an amazing job, but I think he has so much talent that is not being utilised for the sake of the perfect passing goal. Would love to see him getting forward, taking more shots and putting some more penetrating passes in. 

But i think this is more to do with no longer having the right players around him, missing doyle and ndidi (and most recently ricardo) means that, whilst winks is still doing what he has been doing so well, it is these missing players that were creating the breaks - pressing the button, as you say  - hamza, justin and casadei simply aren't creative or sharp enough to make the plays. to double down on this shortcoming , we're also relying more, as a result, on KDH - as such his game has been supressed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

A lot of people were clamouring for justin to come in for Doyle and castigating doyle (i suspect either for struggling against hull or for being with us on loan?) - i said at the time be careful what you wish for.

Whilst he does seem to be getting some confidence back he remains a terribly negative player and rarely plays anything that isn't a 100% likely pass, adding to the fact that his rightfootedness is also a hindrance, it's no surpeise that we've lost some of our dynamism since he's been out.

...I do not see him as a negative player, he is just not suitable for the role he is presently playing!!!

His biggest asset is driving forward, he looks very good when doing so, and if Maresca can get a tune out of Ndidi, I wonder if he (Justin) could be considered to take up a role in the middle of the park.

18 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

But i think this is more to do with no longer having the right players around him, missing doyle and ndidi (and most recently ricardo) means that, whilst winks is still doing what he has been doing so well, it is these missing players that were creating the breaks - pressing the button, as you say  - hamza, justin and casadei simply aren't creative or sharp enough to make the plays. to double down on this shortcoming , we're also relying more, as a result, on KDH - as such his game has been supressed.

Yeah agree with that, I think Winks may actually improve with a step up in level too, if we get promoted he obviously won't have the ball so much and won't be able to dominate the tempo of the game as he is now, but the time he does get on the ball if we go up would be more valuable to his skillset I feel, as instead of him getting the ball and recycling it sideways or backward because of the deep block ahead of him, he will actually have more space to play into in the premier league. So as strange as it sounds, I think Harry Winks can improve by playing in a harder league regarding the effectiveness of his contributions. He's been incredible at this level but I think he's got much more in his locker.  

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I do not see him as a negative player, he is just not suitable for the role he is presently playing!!!

His biggest asset is driving forward, he looks very good when doing so, and if Maresca can get a tune out of Ndidi, I wonder if he (Justin) could be considered to take up a role in the middle of the park.

His 'driving forward' for me is a myth based on a handful of games when he got forward, maybe he did it more, i don't remember - but since his injuries he's looked devoid of confidence and rarely ventures forward and more often than not turns around and passes back.

Justin as a #8 i can't see happening, he just doesn't seem to have the range of passing that is required - as limited as n'didi is - i think justin is a FB that is ok going forward but not one with much end product - he seems to have a great attitude but, like VK, would probably be better playing for a team that wants someone that can do what he does.

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah agree with that, I think Winks may actually improve with a step up in level too, if we get promoted he obviously won't have the ball so much and won't be able to dominate the tempo of the game as he is now, but the time he does get on the ball if we go up would be more valuable to his skillset I feel, as instead of him getting the ball and recycling it sideways or backward because of the deep block ahead of him, he will actually have more space to play into in the premier league. So as strange as it sounds, I think Harry Winks can improve by playing in a harder league regarding the effectiveness of his contributions. He's been incredible at this level but I think he's got much more in his locker.  

Definitely - credit his attitude for dropping down, but it must be hard for him to stay motivated playing at a level below his standard.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

His 'driving forward' for me is a myth based on a handful of games when he got forward, maybe he did it more, i don't remember - but since his injuries he's looked devoid of confidence and rarely ventures forward and more often than not turns around and passes back.

Justin as a #8 i can't see happening, he just doesn't seem to have the range of passing that is required - as limited as n'didi is - i think justin is a FB that is ok going forward but not one with much end product - he seems to have a great attitude but, like VK, would probably be better playing for a team that wants someone that can do what he does.

...if you noticed the run down the line, where he drilled a perfect pass to Ricardo, who in turn played in Nacho (third man running)!!!

If Nacho had finished, Justin would have had a big hand in the goal. He has a lot of ability and is always going to appear negative, on the half-turn as he is playing on the side which does not allow him to use his stronger foot. Maresca has asked for him to play a role, Maresca trusts him, but imagine how much better he would be on the right.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if you noticed the run down the line, where he drilled a perfect pass to Ricardo, who in turn played in Nacho (third man running)!!!

If Nacho had finished, Justin would have had a big hand in the goal. He has a lot of ability and is always going to appear negative, on the half-turn as he is playing on the side which does not allow him to use his stronger foot. Maresca has asked for him to play a role, Maresca trusts him, but imagine how much better he would be on the right.

I thought against boro was his best performance this season, hints of confidence returning, but too often taking the cautious option.  He showed that he can be good - but at this level, with the possession we have, he should be making these runs 10-15 times a game, not a season.

I think maresca respects him and likes him, and he churns out the plaudits (which is i suspect JJ needs to hear) - but i think he knows that he doesn't really fit in our system.  I think he's trying to find ways to involve him but it seems like he is conscious of his lack of versatility.

On 12/11/2023 at 17:49, lgfualol said:

The slight slump was inevitable and losses feel harder to take given we’ve won so many games so far and our squad should be shitting the league. 

I managed to watch the last 10 minutes and do wonder why we are yet to just go direct when there’s minutes left on the clock and we need a goal. Vestergaard in the box and spamming crosses might have created more chances than trying to pass our way into the goal. It has felt like we’ve missed an Ulloa type player as a plan B for years. 

Or throw Soutter in upfront. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Don't like Maresca' preferred style? Go and support Leeds instead, says the man himself.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/enzo-maresca-tells-leicester-city-8910299

14 hours ago, Lcfc-1992 said:

Strange comment

8 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I want to believe that it's just a slight language barrier/reporting issue, I don't believe that he's saying "If you don't like it then FO" but it does come across that way with how it's been reported lol

Nothing wrong with that what so ever. 

Thing is. We're witnessing a new style this Season. 

Completely different from Puel, then into Rodgers. 

Through my life time of a Leicester fan, we've played effective football but necessarily the best football. 

As fans and our players were learning how Enzo wants to play. We still have some if not alot fans shouting 'get it forward' at every opportunity. Be patient, that style of football works. Trust the process. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

I agree, I can't see Justin as #8, I think there are far better candidates. I think given his age, power and running ability, Fatawu could adapt to that role.

Just now, Lillehamring said:

The problem with assessing JJ's capabilities is that it's so long since we saw him fully fit that it relies on you having a good memory :D, and even now you feel that he's slowly getting up to speed so we're not seeing what he's capable of if/when he does (and, of course, having to adapt to a new system).

Having said that, if you go back about 3 years I seem to remember him performing very smoothly as a wing back on the left side, interchanging very effectively with Barnes and also being dangerous (and scoring, even) when cutting in.  His being right-footed didn't appear to hinder him.

In respect to all these last 20 posts.. 

Your missing a good bunch of points, especially on the players.. 

No matter what players he selects.. 

# 1st the system takes priority, no matter what, though has he learns he will tweak certain things and areas

# He will give players certain game plans, and has mentioned even passing back when in attacking areas. 

# He as mentioned in the past, he will give most of his player fixed areas,even way of playing  for a GameDay, that they might not given for the next

# He has dropped in enough times, the season is long, the system is what is paramount, but Players, and he and coaches are still learning.. 

Some fans don't buy into the whole concept

Some will say well done, they are happy

with the system & will be patient with teething problems & set backs. 

Ohers will post, Yeh understand everything, BUT. suggest the individual players should, do more or not capable of holding their position, but forget they will be under orders of holding shape within the system.. 

I don't believe any of us know how the system will developed or evolve, but one thing is sure Enzo will follow it through, and his ideas of plan A, B or C, do not follow the same logic has probably ALL fans in their diverse thoughts. 

It's hard for all fans, but I said a few months ago, this is where patience is needed, and the season long, it could just be a time to  hold our clapper and put opinions on everything playing wise,on hold  in these unique times..... 

The whole long  season, even with reverses or periods of indifferent form. 

It's When we the fans just  have to stick.. Say and agree 

"in the manager ( Enzo) his system  we trust...

No questions..!!" 

It's for us fans a complete new concept and approach, we have to buy into, then sit tight, enjoy, embrace also occasionally wince.. :twitch:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 14:17, HarryDee8 said:

What exactly is Enzos tactics? Is it having the most possession? and that is about it...

Feel like we're a Man City B Team - if we're following them

Yes, it's about having possession but making your opponent's chase after the ball.  Making them tired, and then going for the win in the 88th minute. 

It would have worked with 3 subs when Enzo fell in love with it. Not sure about this system in, 2023.

We have been here before though. Paulo Sousa, remember him, he was trying to do something similar. 

With regards to the Man City comparison. I really do not get it. They have a completely different way of playing, in my eyes. They actively, and aggressively attack the opposition, trying to exploit weaknesses.

Look at a Man City heatmap compared to ours. There is a huge difference. 

Damn, I miss the football in the 90's and 80's. Not this chess match.

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

The problem with assessing JJ's capabilities is that it's so long since we saw him fully fit that it relies on you having a good memory :D, and even now you feel that he's slowly getting up to speed so we're not seeing what he's capable of if/when he does (and, of course, having to adapt to a new system).

Having said that, if you go back about 3 years I seem to remember him performing very smoothly as a wing back on the left side, interchanging very effectively with Barnes and also being dangerous (and scoring, even) when cutting in.  His being right-footed didn't appear to hinder him.

I think that works both ways though - i think a lot of people are comfortable remembering the good parts of his game, whilst completely forgetting the bad parts of his game, before us he was a 3rd tier player, he came in and played well in a team that was generally playing well, but still needed a lot of work.  And even at his best, he really had no end product as an attacker (even in his best season when he played 2000+ minutes, he managed 2 goals and 1 assist).

There also seems to be some blind faith amongst fans that whatever he was or might have grown to be is only a matter of time away from returning/developing - but injuries such as his can physically and mentally ruin a player's potential.  And, so far, he doesn't look anywhere near being good enough as a long term option (assuming we go back up), regardless of position.  So far as assessing his capabilities, I think that's what enzo is doing whilst Doyle is out, as that seems to be the only position he fancies him in (except on the right side), but he's nearly 26, unless something incredible happens to him this season, i wouldn't be surprised if they cash in on him next summer (#IWGU)