Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

11 hours ago, LVFox said:

I think he was right to be worried by the end of the Sunderland game. We went long far too often instead of being brave enough to play through their press and be on the front foot.

Agree however with common opinion thag our 8s have been no where near as attacking as earlier in the season and this needs correcting

BUt given sunderland's press, tactically speaking this should have been far more effective than it was - i think it was the quality of the balls that failed us, rather than the type of balls.

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

BUt given sunderland's press, tactically speaking this should have been far more effective than it was - i think it was the quality of the balls that failed us, rather than the type of balls.

I think it started off effective, Casadei was winning a few flickons.

The problem was it meant it became our default move was to hit the ball far too often, and then yes, the quality wasn't there.

I'd of much preferred to see us use it sparingly and still had a default of playing from the back and beating the press that way. I completely understand Enzo therefore deciding we aren't tactically clever enough to make those decisions in game on the pitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LVFox said:

I think it started off effective, Casadei was winning a few flickons.

The problem was it meant it became our default move was to hit the ball far too often, and then yes, the quality wasn't there.

I'd of much preferred to see us use it sparingly and still had a default of playing from the back and beating the press that way. I completely understand Enzo therefore deciding we aren't tactically clever enough to make those decisions in game on the pitch.

Even if you intend to predominantly play out from the back it's important to play a few long balls. Even if it achieves nothing, it makes the opposition aware that you might do it and they have to adjust accordingly.

For a time I played in the left wing, although I favoured my right foot to cut inside.

An older coach watched me and told me, Next game, the first time you get the ball run at the full back go outside and cross it with your left foot.

It doesn't matter if you don't do it again but the defender will always wonder and will have to play accordingly.

25 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Even if you intend to predominantly play out from the back it's important to play a few long balls. Even if it achieves nothing, it makes the opposition aware that you might do it and they have to adjust accordingly.

For a time I played in the left wing, although I favoured my right foot to cut inside.

An older coach watched me and told me, Next game, the first time you get the ball run at the full back go outside and cross it with your left foot.

It doesn't matter if you don't do it again but the defender will always wonder and will have to play accordingly.

...perhaps our wingers could benefit from that advice!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, messerschmitt said:

I agree, and weve seen Hermansen play some wonderful longer balls when teams have pushed up high on us. I just think we got it wrong against Sunderland and lost control. As a result, Enzo has probably overcomponsated and we don't use the long ball enough, but I'd prefer that to be the case for now than we end up a befuddled mess that don't know whether we should play long or short from goal kicks.

Teams have started going man for man against us as the above article details. And we’ve just not found solutions to it as of yet - and more so without Ndidi in the side. For all Wilf lacks in technical ability, he has tactical intelligence and willing running in abundance.

image.thumb.png.1a6de7c96d4bf548a946a19ed8d9e16b.png

Take this screenshot here from that article. With Wilf in that right 8 position here instead of Ricardo, he’d be providing that bursting run into the space that Iheanacho has vacated and dragged a defender with him.

A pattern of play we’ve done over and over again this season.

We don’t need to over think it, Enzo hasn’t “Shat it” at all. We’ve just marginally lost two games without a key player in the side. Once Ndidi and Yunus are back we’ll be cooking again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Teams have started going man for man against us as the above article details. And we’ve just not found solutions to it as of yet - and more so without Ndidi in the side. For all Wilf lacks in technical ability, he has tactical intelligence and willing running in abundance.

Take this screenshot here from that article. With Wilf in that right 8 position here instead of Ricardo, he’d be providing that bursting run into the space that Iheanacho has vacated and dragged a defender with him.

We don’t need to over think it, Enzo hasn’t “Shat it” at all. We’ve just marginally lost two games without a key player in the side. Once Ndidi and Yunus are back we’ll be cooking again.

Yes, and I think we miss a left-footer to play in the Doyle roll. With him out for a while and only on loan I think we will look to strengthen there in Jan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aleksz said:

...noticeable, from this clip, that McAteer should have been on the move forward to get into the "half space" or the channel!!!

From where Nacho is and where he (McAteer) is standing, Nacho cannot find him with a direct pass, but McAteer has the drop on their #27 who is on the half turn, with McAteer in his blind spot That movement would have triggered a pass from Nacho, where the opposition would have had one defender sitting deeper trying to cover a large area..

1 hour ago, Matt said:

"We're born in this style, we'll die in this style" were along the lines of Enzo's comments after todays game.

I didn't see where a winner was coming from today, duly, we got one, two, fair play, as I said whilst we are doing that he can afford the attitude of his comment.

Our losses have shown shortcomings, concerns and ask a few questions. He has a philosophy, which is fair enough, but what's wrong with throwing the kitchen sink at Leeds and Middlesbrough towards the latter stages - certainly the Middlesbrough game.

Listen, I'm enjoying the season and i'm not going to use that a stick to batter him with - I was actually trying to spin those losses into positives, hoping those games would be used to highlight what we could and need to do better.

Likewise i'm enjoying this season and not looking too far ahead to next season, because I "get it" in this league, against this opposition. 

I just feel playing this way next season we'll be a world of pain, certainly with the "We're born in this style, we'll die in this style" attitude, you only have to look at Burnley and listen to their fans, lauding their cultured change in style, being so successful last season, now the concerns and complaints of "tippy tappy" football are raising their head and being chucked at Burnley/Kompany.

We have a better squad than Burnley already even before any potential promotion. 

5 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I think this is the perfect response to the post above. Yes, he has a point, but we were in ****ing disarray last season. I'd have taken the playoffs if offered it when we got relegated quite frankly. Lets get up first, and worry about staying up when it comes around FFS

This is absolutely the thing - last season was an abomination and we had a squad of absolute charlatans and rodgers was the most untrustworthy horrible man iv ever had to see - the biggest and best thing about this season is we have managed to absolutely banish all of that - Enzo needs massive congrats for that - the performances are decent if not remarkable- it’s a very interesting way to play - we are absolutely 💯 sound in this league and we will win it comfortably - take the bloody positives- will it work next year - who cares right now - enjoy the hours and the days and the weeks - it’s absolutely lovely at the minute and he is doing a superb job to pick a completely wrecked fan base off our bums and make us winners again - it will always be about levels but it’s also so much about enjoying it as fans and if your not enjoying this your bonkers - screw next year - screw last year - let’s enjoy this one - up the foxes 🦊 

• Like 4

Was definitely a tweak in the formation and strategy today. Justin played a lot higher up which suited his game more (would like to see his average position) and provided another outlet for the early ball we rarely play.

Also hermanson stepped in to CB with Vesty for the build up and Faes pushed to right back.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan

If this team had a really in-form striker, we’d be home and dry already!

I genuinely think we’d have won every game so far.

As it is, the strength across the squad is what will see us through. I said a few games in, I think we’ll go up because we won’t concede many, not because we’ll score loads.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If this team had a really in-form striker, we’d be home and dry already!

I genuinely think we’d have won every game so far.

As it is, the strength across the squad is what will see us through. I said a few games in, I think we’ll go up because we won’t concede many, not because we’ll score loads.

Although, we are the 2nd highest scorers in the league. Agree about the striker bit. 

3 minutes ago, Kierzz said:

Getting "lucky" for 14 out of the first 17 matches means your making your own luck....

Not lucky in its entirety. It's a weak division where you survive at times with poor finishing. We just don't look like a confident side at the top with "premier league" level players as so many seem to think we are or have.