Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

4 hours ago, Matt said:

100%. (Edit - although someone's going to make the point despite Ange-Ball they lost, again. Likewise Chelsea from the odd bits i've seen are quite a decent, exciting and refreshing watch they keep losing)

Although I don't necessarily agree Enzo plays like Man City/Pep (They may have changed for all I know, I've not watched a Man City game for a few years, I refuse to watch games they're involved in, I can't watch them, they bore the shit out of me) - Unfortunately as a results of their success they've ruined football in the way so many other teams try and emulate it (That's on the other teams at fault for that, not Man City, they play that way because it works for them, despite it being boring), it might be successful for them, doesn't mean it is for everyone else, it certainly wasn't for us last season.

I think it's a lazy opinion just because Enzo was Pep's assistant and worked for Man City that we play like them, I mean correct me if i'm wrong but Enzo's played under and was Pellegrini's assistant for longer with various clubs, that's not discounting he learnt nothing from his time under Pep/Man City, of course he would have done. (Yes I realise Pellegrini was Man City's manager but they didn't play like they do under Pep back then - they were quite likeable and exciting back then)

As I say, you only have to speak to match going fans of other clubs or listen to phones in, most people are bored of their team and the modern day game, it's far from exclusive to us.

What's happened to throwing the kitchen sink at the opposition certainly later in games, the Middlesbrough game being a prime example for ourselves - and no, I don't mean route one, again another lazy opinion and case of football snobbery.

Wether you like it or not if done right this style of play brings results and that's all that matters, look at Man City and Spain obviously you can say they have the best players but they have improved each year and in the whole its working here as we are top after only losing 3 games all season.

2 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

The ball getting into advanced positions quicker rather than being played constantly back. We get into so many decent positions but the ball just gets played back to the centre halves. I'd rather us take a risk going forward. There was a point yesterday when the ball kept being passed sidewards on the edge of their box as it seemed no one had the bottle to shoot.  
hard to do when there are many opposition players staying deeper

Strikers not picking the ball up where CDMs should be and not playing with their backs to goal. 

This is to allow overloads and pulls opposition defenders forward. I assume)

Better coaching with regards to decision making. (Mavididi for example) 

fair, but early days 

Counter attacking at times quickly rather than laborious build up with little effect. 

this is key, the messing around at the back is to cause the opposition forwards to make space 

Also those pissing goal kicks. 3 players touch the ball before it even leaves our box. 

again, space, wait for people to move make space

My two cents, and it is tedious perhaps, but I can see why we play this way

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

It’s a hideous watch 

First time I’ve seen us this season. (Whether that be inside the stadium or on TV) but that sort of football is awful.

Will we win the league? Easily. 
Would I enjoy myself going down the KP week in week out? Definitely not.

The excitement of that sort of football is as down there as Rodgers’ 

How on earth is this the first time you've seen us this season? 

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

What football do people prefer. This season so far or Nigel’s championship winning football? Very different but similar results. 

We actually didn’t really start smashing it that season until January when we really pulled away. We actually played more exciting football the season before but we ran out of steam. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

Those complaining, what would you like to see instead?

I quite like Enzo's methods and philosophy. It's a bit different to the style of football that properly gets the heart racing but in order to do that you need a mix of the opposition paying you less respect, the right players and you'll concede an element of control of the overall game itself trying to take more risks.

That I think is Enzo's fixation. By completely dominating possession, recycling the ball and deliberately add pedestrian football in with passages of quicker passing, all in the name of wearing teams down. He talks repeatedly about the plan being to destroy teams in the final 15-20 minutes, whether that's the entire game plan or part of the advantages of playing the way we do, I'm not so sure. It would be dangerous to limit true attacking dominance to less than a quarter of the game and not foresee occasions where it doesn't happen.

I don't think his football is negative though, I don't see the fear or limitation that I saw more and more the longer Rodgers was here. Its just sometimes frustrating that you see a direct passage of play that could be on and that's not our DNA. I at times get restless at that because it's not that there aren't times we can exploit that, if anything our superiority and efficient football can open those scenarios up, but at this stage in our evolution/instruction, we don't execute that fast and direct attack. I'd love to know if that's deliberate, because if it is then that concerns me. I'd hope Enzo wants us to look to exploit that rather than that be our first and foremost way of playing.

My only other area I think we could improve on is how we utilise our striker and the support to them. I'll always look at possibilities of getting more than one goalscorer on the pitch at the same time in some games, I don't believe modern football means you can't play two forwards. It makes little sense to me that you'd not want to have your best finishers (invariably strikers) on the pitch but instead look to create a good amount of chances instead for inferior finishers and expect to score frequently. It's interesting Pep has gone to a system with two strikers this year and in the past has and then hasn't. Again, it's the flexibility to know when and when not to change the way you play.

Enzo's every right to have an ideology and mantra, maybe doubling down on it and showing no weakness or hesitation on it, but history has proven such rigidity can and will catch up with you. 

I'm loving what he's doing though, he's given us our football club back after a diabolical and unacceptable nose dive. Let's hope he can steer us back and not just to make up the numbers temporarily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

Those complaining, what would you like to see instead?

Well, I'm not really complaining for two reasons.  One, we're top of the league and two, after Puel, Rodgers and now Maresca, it would be safe to assume that this is the direction that Top wants to take us, so we'd better accept it.

However, .it is boring imo.  Possession football, by its very nature is stifling.  In order to keep the ball you often have to go backwards and sideways,  It is incompatible with the idea of taking risks.  Its a safety first, cautious, ultra-disciplined, over-coached, drain the life out of the game approach.  I would rather see mavericks than automatons.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

The question is I suppose why wasnt we doing that from the kick off.

Lots of teams in the top 6 dropped points this weekend, nay of them had lethargic performances. The reason? International Break disrupted the rhythm of a lot of teams, us included.

15 minutes ago, sylofox said:

We are to slow and pedestrian. The easy plan B is to just up the pace or vary it.

The single pace we play gives teams time to drop back and set up two banks of four.

As soon as that happens we struggle.

What did you think about the second half performance? Many of us don't like the overly slow and patient approach. But do you enjoy our play when we ramp up the pressure?

For me, when we step it up, we are very good to watch and it's enthralling and entertaining. However, I definitely think we wait too long before getting into our flow. I do think there's a lot to be said about playing your way into games, and it's hard to be 100% right from the get go, but often I feel like the first 20-30 minutes we do nothing at all lol!

I don't think that's intentional from Enzo though, and we should note he's only been here 6 months now, and only just started the squad transformation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sylofox said:

We are to slow and pedestrian. The easy plan B is to just up the pace or vary it.

The single pace we play gives teams time to drop back and set up two banks of four.

As soon as that happens we struggle.

So we saw plans A and B versus Watford then?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

Well, I'm not really complaining for two reasons.  One, we're top of the league and two, after Puel, Rodgers and now Maresca, it would be safe to assume that this is the direction that Top wants to take us, so we'd better accept it.

However, .it is boring imo.  Possession football, by its very nature is stifling.  In order to keep the ball you often have to go backwards and sideways,  It is incompatible with the idea of taking risks.  Its a safety first, cautious, ultra-disciplined, over-coached, drain the life out of the game approach.  I would rather see mavericks than automatons.  

...there is very much room for Mavericks in this side, you just want the unexpected to happen where it throws the opposition off their game!!!

With better decision-making and better finishing, we should not be labouring in games and instigating an atmosphere of restless supporters crying out to be entertained. The crowd wants to sing, the supporters are on the edge of their seats, and the way we play just stifles all that.

46 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...there is very much room for Mavericks in this side, you just want the unexpected to happen where it throws the opposition off their game!!!

With better decision-making and better finishing, we should not be labouring in games and instigating an atmosphere of restless supporters crying out to be entertained. The crowd wants to sing, the supporters are on the edge of their seats, and the way we play just stifles all that.

Maybe,we aren’t has good has LCFC fans think we are.We have just found a system we are willing to hang our own doubts & successes onto…

Doesn’t mean our manager & players have yet created the better nor strongest team

This will be decided towards EOS,one supports hoping one has the right ethos & credentials..that win us most of the seperate gamedays..

We have NO magic formula, just 11-14 guys hopefully presenting a better skill set

than their opposition…We don’t want to but tend to fall into the media trap of falling into their & own hype every season…

You've got to admit. 

It's not a fun watch is it? I got a text at half time asking what the game was like and I replied with one word. 'Snoozefest.' 

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

My two cents, and it is tedious perhaps, but I can see why we play this way

I think most of us can accept the benefits of drawing the opposition in and exploiting the space. It's when we already have space to exploit but still default to recycling possession at the back that frustrates many fans. 

Thankfully Maresca gave them a bollocking at half time and we played some decent stuff in the second half. It's good to know that he apparently finds the risk averse approach unacceptable.

That's the main difference between Maresca and Rodgers for me, you had Rodgers frothing at the mouth when we were 3-0 up at half time against West Brom because we lacked control whereas Maresca gave them a bollocking after Rodger's dream half the other day (a controlled snooze fest). The intent is hopefully to play some exciting football rather than grind opponents to death.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

You've got to admit. 

It's not a fun watch is it? I got a text at half time asking what the game was like and I replied with one word. 'Snoozefest.' 

Plant your mast. What do you want to see? Nowt wrong with having football principles and a style you like/don't like. 

What I tend to read though that some of our fans want, isn't necessarily possible unless the opposition play their part.

• Like 3

I don't find our style of play defensive, but we do defend by keeping possession. I just think he needs a more attacking/creative number 8. Most of the time our lineup only includes 3 "attacking" players in the striker and two wingers. KDH and Ndidi have good engines and come up with the odd goal or assist, but having an effective attacking 8 would give us more sustained penetration. I think Casadei was brought in to do that, but he's not really clicked yet. Maybe Praet would offer a more forward thinking 8, but that's yet to be seen.