Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I don't think that's even a subjective opinion, I would say objectively it's true.

A style of play takes time to bed in, so on paper it can still be good to persevere with these tactics because when we finally become masters of it, we could become an excellent team. However, we've had way too many subpar performances for a while now. It's not just results, look at wins against QPR and Sunderland, these were hardly impressive.

We are still top of the league, so have to be happy, but it is concerning that we aren't getting better. If anything, I would say we are worse than that run of games where we pasted Southampton and beat Norwich, etc.

Yes. Patience is needed. Remember when we used to beat Guardiola’s Man City pretty regularly? This system takes time. Despite the shortcomings we’ve had a brilliant start and we dominate games too much to be falling down the league like a stone. 

Going to seem like I'm only saying it because we've conceded but I'm not a fan. Over complicated, slow and ponderous more often than not. Obviously, that could be down to the players rather than instructions and over time Enzo would get better players to play the game he wants but going forward it's been really poor more often than not. 

Never any attempt to change anything either. 

• Like 4

We’re a good footballing side but other than our back three we’re weak so I doubt we can play man for man.

The lads need to be more switched on and stop making silly mistakes. It looks like they think they can just turn up and win! Wake the fvck up! I can’t believe how sloppy we were tonight.

• Like 1

It's the passive nature of the football which worries me. It's the unswerving belief that if you retain possession long enough. An opportunity will evolve / present itself. I don't think so Enzo! You have to make it happen by asking questions of the opposition. At times we play like it's a mates 5 a side game. Cantering around. No urgency, turning away from a progressive pass, favouring the easy and simple.  Tempo and ideas need to seriously increase otherwise our points advantage will be home by January. 

• Like 1

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

Going to seem like I'm only saying it because we've conceded but I'm not a fan. Over complicated, slow and ponderous more often than not. Obviously, that could be down to the players rather than instructions and over time Enzo would get better players to play the game he wants but going forward it's been really poor more often than not. 

Never any attempt to change anything either. 

Probably get shot for saying this, but I don’t think he will last the season. If he does, I don’t think we will go up…….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, An Away Move said:

Yes. Patience is needed. Remember when we used to beat Guardiola’s Man City pretty regularly? This system takes time. Despite the shortcomings we’ve had a brilliant start and we dominate games too much to be falling down the league like a stone. 

Dominate possession 

29 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

The more I watch us play, the more concerned I become that this style of play is actually very little to do with our points tally, and more to do with the relative quality of our squad compared to the rest of this league. 

25 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I think you could have put Big Sam in charge at the start of the season and we’d still have the same points tally due to our quality over the others in this league.

Im genuinely not convinced by the “Enzo way” and even more worried how poor we’ve actually looked for the most part this season tbh

But the problem tonight was that we DID NOT have the quality - our decision making and execution was no better than Sheffield's.

Goal aside, Fatawu was rubbish, mavididi not much better, in fact none of the front five played well.

A vocal minority of fans on this forum seem to getting a little ‘Puel out!’ about Maresca. I just can’t believe this. What exactly do you want?! We are top of the league with a massive amount of points and have even had enough chances to win the games we have lost. Literally - are you ****ing mental?! 

• Like 1

I like him, but I am concerned that there's Plan A and then not much else when Plan A fails.....and the other managers in the league have now figured out how to nullify Plan A.

Don't think it would kill him to let the players take the handbrake off and play on instinct at times. I can totally see why some are moaning that the players are overcoached, you can see it at times.

• Like 4

The rotated players simply didn’t step up. Casadei was poor, Akgun neat and tidy but far too easily knocked off the ball and out paced. Faes looked very unsure on the left, Coady looked slow and creaky on the right. Alongside that we had two wingers intent on wasting opportunities and a centre forward way off the pace tonight. Then Choudhury coming on seemed to invite them on even more and conceding felt inevitable. I’m very much on the marescalator but that was poor tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

A vocal minority of fans on this forum seem to getting a little ‘Puel out!’ about Maresca. I just can’t believe this. What exactly do you want?! We are top of the league with a massive amount of points and have even had enough chances to win the games we have lost. Literally - are you ****ing mental?! 

Bunch of weirdos 

• Like 1

Just now, funkyrobot said:

The rotated players simply didn’t step up. Casadei was poor, Akgun neat and tidy but far too easily knocked off the ball and out paced. Faes looked very unsure on the left, Coady looked slow and creaky on the right. Alongside that we had two wingers intent on wasting opportunities and a centre forward way off the pace tonight. Then Choudhury coming on seemed to invite them on even more and conceding felt inevitable. I’m very much on the marescalator but that was poor tonight. 

Yes. But we had no choice but to rotate. It is impossible to start each match with our strongest eleven. 

8 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

How can you work with Pep and not go for more goals when we take the lead? 

Bizarre how little we created tonight 

Even though Man City love possession when they attack they attack properly, the full backs often push on past the wingers and gives the opposition much more to think about compared to us. This system and Enzo is seemingly obsessed with creating 1 v 1 opportunities for the winger who just ends up losing the ball or passing it back where it came as they've too much to do to get anywhere.

4 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Too slow boring and predictable I’ve seen us get spanked 6-0 and I’ve enjoyed the game more! 

feel like the passes made are always ones that are the least risky safe option! 

im bored and I don’t see it changing!!

Which 6-0 defeat did you enjoy more?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2