Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

System isn't the problem, it's personnel. 

We don't have the players for other systems, and where this system struggles is if you don't have creativity in the middle. It's exacerbated by teams coming and sitting deep against us.

I think given how strong we are at the back, though, we could tweak it. 

Take one of the midfielders out and play someone alongside (rather than in front of) Winks. With the inverted full back that still gives us three in the middle.

That frees us up to play Kelechi in between the lines. 

It's not perfect but at least we'd have some creativity centrally. Probably the best we can do until we go some way to replacing Maddison.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Do you honestly think that enzo sent them out at half time saying: 'whatever you do please don't score anymore goals; no - don't even try!'

Apart from some sloppy play at the start, and the inevitable hail mary from the opposition at the end, we completely controlled the game tonight - the problem was our inability to get the ball in the box - and it wasn't because we didn't think we needed to, it was because the players simply couldn't make the right decisions or play the right ball.

Correct answer, but the point is its happening far to often lately, something has to change or improve, it was a draw not the end of the world but it is worrying, that was not a pleasant watch or experience tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

So, anybody up to talking tactics yet, in the tactics thread?

Absolutely sir. 

If we’re sticking with this formation I would try playing a false 9. The strikers we have (not seen cannon so can’t comment on him) do not suit this system at all. 

44 minutes ago, majaco said:

Do we deserve to win this?

42 minutes ago, majaco said:

I got excited about the way we were playing once in this game

42 minutes ago, lcfcell said:

I really like him but I PERSONALLY get no enjoyment watching this style 

41 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Could see that coming 

39 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Same. It started off really so so and after a few games was starting to look really good. But it's been so bloody passive for the last 5+ games.

Wednesday have totally deserved something

39 minutes ago, tsintskaro said:

He will be sacked before Spring 

39 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

I’m bizarrely happy we have had a rocket here

39 minutes ago, lcfcell said:

Completed outplayed by a team with 6 points. It’s rubbish to watch 

36 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Awful. Rodgers ball 2.0. And we all hated that. I don’t see any difference. Horrific viewing. 

34 minutes ago, VictorFox said:

He’s not good enough I’m sorry but as soon as everyone realises it the better 

33 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

Basically has side that has more than enough quality in this division and he got us playing complete sh+te

31 minutes ago, TMELcfc said:

Boring - sick of possession based football - couldn’t careless where we are in the league, when the football is so boring 

30 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

We really need to improve. It's simply not good enough and honestly, I think given the quality we have there are plenty of managers in this division that would have us in this position or close to it.

29 minutes ago, adamkhalifa said:

We have been found out, about 4/5 weeks ago. 

This is Puel ball in the Championship. I hate this brand of football. 

The obsession with possession makes me vomit. 

29 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

i have the worry we'll be 3rd come new year

27 minutes ago, maynefox said:

Boring. Laboured. Predictable. He won't be here this time next year.

24 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Too slow boring and predictable I’ve seen us get spanked 6-0 and I’ve enjoyed the game more! 

feel like the passes made are always ones that are the least risky safe option! 

im bored and I don’t see it changing!!

22 minutes ago, Hammo said:

The cracks are appearing. Four points from a possible 12. They are sussing him out. Another Rodgers? Let’s bloody hope not…

21 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Mavididi is turning into Josh Low. 😞😞😞

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

There's an arrogance creeping in to our approach to games which I don't like one bit.

Is this thread actually being moderated - none of these posts are discussing tactics, all belong in the post-match thread...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blue-fox said:

Do you enjoy the sideways, ponderous passing? There’s a place for that kind of play, and that’s after a fast start and being 2 goals up after 60 mins. 

I genuinely do. I wouldn’t frame it the way you do though. We are constantly probing, moving the opposition around, tiring them out and are having great success with it so far. Look how many points we have and our league position. Maresca is right. The fans need to be patient. 

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

The lack of even just one overlapping fullback is making it very easy for teams to defend against us. 

There was a moment towards the end when justin passed to mavididi, both players running hard, and justin just stops, leaving mavididi completely alone.

2 minutes ago, VictorFox said:

Yes. Why do we pass around at the back instead of trying to score goals? 

Good start, my turn now.

Why do we change our starting line up so much every game thus meaning we always look like a group of players that have never played together before?

Pick your best 11 and stick with it bar injuries & fatigue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, An Away Move said:

He’s right. Most of our fans are idiots - as demonstrated by the shrill anti-Maresca comments on this forum tonight. 

But it’s not that simple is it…. Especially when there’s fans who have a sound tactical grasp of the game…. Not just some happy clapper in a filbert the fox hat……

The philosophy Enzo is following may well be a good one, but only if it is used correctly…. Imagine buying a Ferrari, and then deciding to use it as a long distance car…. All of the time…. That’s essentially what it happening here…. It’s a bit Rodgers and Puel.

This team has pace to burn, but it lacks the technical ability to play how Enzo wants to, consistently well. 

Defensively we’re okay, but in terms of retention, Winks is the only one who looks really comfortable on the ball… the rest of the midfield excluding the wingers look like they’re being played out of position. We’ve got the best full backs in the league, pacy direct wingers and experienced strikers…. Yet, we’re playing a slow possession based game, which is now starting to cost us goals due to a large amount of errors…..

At some point you have to change something, and at the moment other than personnel we aren’t seeing this. 

The tempo is too slow, and when pressed we make more mistakes and are unable to control the game. So far out of all of the teams at the top, we look probably the most fragile at the moment. Enzo just needs to understand when the time is right to change something, and that’s it’s okay to change the system to benefit the team…. Because at the moment this style is to the detriment of it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Beginning of the season we passed with so much more purpose, passing quicker and really making opportunities for ourselves. 

We've gone back to passing for the sake of it. 

Could be worth reverting to a back 4, utilising  JJ and Riccy as Overlapping full backs

Have Winks sitting as the orchestrating 6, splitting between the 2 centre halves. 

I'm no tactician but in the first few games there seemed to be more balls pinged up quickly to the top of this box midfield, into the feet of the 8s.

From there it might come back, but usually only one step to Winks or Ricardo before moving forwards again.

The difference between Maresca and Rodgers was that Rodgers' side seemed bogged down around the halfway line exchanging the ball between the defence and the DMs, whereas at the start of this season we were progressing the ball much quicker through the thirds.

That seems to have slowed as he's had more time coaching the system, and I am starting to get that sinking Brendan feeling again...

• Like 4

Just now, Ric Flair said:

There's enough warning signs the last 6 games to mitigate some of this though. There are some fans far more reactionary as others, there's others that will cling on to what's already happened to justify their defence. Somewhere in between is sensible right now.

We've started brilliantly, albeit as a work in progress as mad as that sounds. Teams are wising up to us and our manager is busy telling anyone that'll listen that we will not change for anyone. We go and put in a truly arrogant and sloppy performance like that tonight and you can see plenty gain confidence that we can be gotten at.

The hard work starts now for Enzo, I hope he's got the answers.

Was it really though? Or more a result of an absolutely necessary rotation of squad in a very busy fixture period. We cannot play our strongest eleven in every match. It’s impossible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There's enough warning signs the last 6 games to mitigate some of this though. There are some fans far more reactionary as others, there's others that will cling on to what's already happened to justify their defence. Somewhere in between is sensible right now.

We've started brilliantly, albeit as a work in progress as mad as that sounds. Teams are wising up to us and our manager is busy telling anyone that'll listen that we will not change for anyone. We go and put in a truly arrogant and sloppy performance like that tonight and you can see plenty gain confidence that we can be gotten at.

The hard work starts now for Enzo, I hope he's got the answers.

Hit the nail on the head 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

But it’s not that simple is it…. Especially when there’s fans who have a sound tactical grasp of the game…. Not just some happy clapper in a filbert the fox hat……

The philosophy Enzo is following may well be a good one, but only if it is used correctly…. Imagine buying a Ferrari, and then deciding to use it as a long distance car…. All of the time…. That’s essentially what it happening here…. It’s a bit Rodgers and Puel.

This team has pace to burn, but it lacks the technical ability to play how Enzo wants to, consistently well. 

Defensively we’re okay, but in terms of retention, Winks is the only one who looks really comfortable on the ball… the rest of the midfield excluding the wingers look like they’re being played out of position. We’ve got the best full backs in the league, pacy direct wingers and experienced strikers…. Yet, we’re playing a slow possession based game, which is now starting to cost us goals due to a large amount of errors…..

At some point you have to change something, and at the moment other than personnel we aren’t seeing this. 

The tempo is too slow, and when pressed we make more mistakes and are unable to control the game. So far out of all of the teams at the top, we look probably the most fragile at the moment. Enzo just needs to understand when the time is right to change something, and that’s it’s okay to change the system to benefit the team…. Because at the moment this style is to the detriment of it. 

I totally agree with your point about the tempo. 

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino

I’m as big a tactical snob as anyone, I need no invitation to look down my nose at limp, surface level analysis.

But it’s shite under Maresca - I said after Stoke that individuals and moments were carrying us and games in this run would show us up as moments aren’t sustainable. Didn’t expect Sheffield Wednesday to be one of those that show us up but here we are.

Same issues as at Parma. Build up is too deep and the football is so risk averse, it’s basically catenaccio but with the ball. 

1 minute ago, An Away Move said:

Was it really though? Or more a result of an absolutely necessary rotation of squad in a very busy fixture period. We cannot play our strongest eleven in every match. It’s impossible. 

Three players that Enzo has called out as being key - Mads, Jannik and Ricardo - all cocked up massively tonight in ways that would have cost us goals against anyone who wasn't completely crap.

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

What he just said 

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I'm no tactician but in the first few games there seemed to be more balls pinged up quickly to the top of this box midfield, into the feet of the 8s.

From there it might come back, but usually only one step to Winks or Ricardo before moving forwards again.

The difference between Maresca and Rodgers was that Rodgers' side seemed bogged down around the halfway line exchanging the ball between the defence and the DMs, whereas at the start of this season we were progressing the ball much quicker through the thirds.

That seems to have slowed as he's had more time coaching the system, and I am starting to get that sinking Brendan feeling again...

Puel did the same thing, his first few months we were hitting teams on the counter and looking dangerous, and players like Gray were getting the ball at their feet and putting their head down and running, over time that slowed down significantly and that seems to be the same here but over a shorter period of time. 

4 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

I genuinely do. I wouldn’t frame it the way you do though. We are constantly probing, moving the opposition around, tiring them out and are having great success with it so far. Look how many points we have and our league position. Maresca is right. The fans need to be patient. 

I honestly believe with the players we have, on paper, we would be in this position regardless of these tactics. 

• Like 1