Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

31 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

Or mid table. It’s plan A and we have been sussed out by every manager. No evolution, no revolution, stubborn basic tactics. Tonight really proved the wheels have come off, we should have beaten SW easily and we all knew the eventual goal would come. 

Oh come on - how can you evolve or revolutionise something that is so very much still in it's infancy!  Everyone is still getting used to the system, these are players who have only been playing together for the most part, for a handful of games.

The wheels have fallen off!  This is all so new we're still using stabilizers!

Saying we should beat any team, regardless of their league position, is the single most arrogant and ignorant comment anyone can make about sport.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

If the first goes in, the second doesn't happen. Butterfly effect.

With hindsight maybe an early goal for them gives us the kick up the backside it looked at though we may have benefited from tonight. Who knows.

Those two chances do not equal them deserving 3-1. Again, flawed thinking from you.

Against better sides we can't afford those early chances, but it's unsurprising given we played without a left back and played Coast who has so few minutes under his belt.

Well you cant start using if's and then expect us to ignore the clear cut chances they had at the start of the game.

Well it’s started getting texts from mates who are Baggies, Wolves, Villa fans asking me if Leicester’s bubble had burst and the New manager syndrome has ended, well you can probably guess how I responded to those blasphemous comments about our beloved Leicester well it was more of a Fuch off we’re fine thanks you Pish taking Cockwombles!

Do we need to really worry about our poor form even tho we always often hear pundits proclaim we have players that are too good for the Championship ( well it didn’t look like that tonight at Sheffield !!), are some correct in saying Enzo is a one trick pony who only has a plan A and his plan has been found out stopping us playing our game are we passing around at the back far too much inviting opposition to take the ball off us and score better teams will hit us hard when doing this are certain players not giving 100% because they know they’ll be off in January I can’t quite put my finger on our exact problems ?

But I know I’m still backing Enzo he comes to us from a tactical geniuses stable who’s won multiple Premier League and other titles who’s team are immense so I’m sure he’ll hit our problems on the head very soon getting us back playing slick winning ways football again, plus a few more signings in January and a few that want to jump ship I’m sure we’ll be fine nobody said this league would be easy and they’re fuching right as one pundit said Leicester City are clubs cup finals when we play them and will play that extra gusto to try and beat us so onwards and upwards in Enzo we trust to get us out of this Fuching Nightmare and back to the Premier League!

🦊💙🦊💙

Guest nathan.

Do you think the owners will **** around like they did with Rodgers?

He will be gone before we know it if we fall out of the top 2.

Edited by nathan.

28 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Having a philosophy and stubbornly sticking to it, is great if your owner is willing to plough 100s of millions of pounds into the project. Arsenal under Arteta have spent nearly 700M and Pep has spent over a billion. We're lucky if we can spend 5-10% of these figures, which leaves us in limbo, like Burnley.

No, it means we're in the championship and can neither afford nor need to spend hundreds of millions.

Just now, Chrysalis said:

Well you cant start using if's and then expect us to ignore the clear cut chances they had at the start of the game.

I literally refer to it and provide a reason as to why it happened. lol

Right that's enough Foxestalk for one night. I'm losing brain cells by the minute out here.

• Like 1

Just now, nathan. said:

Do you think the the owners will **** around like they did with Rodgers?

He is in no danger of being sacked, few months into first season and still top of the table, I think if we fail to finish top 6 there would be a possibility, its also possible of course he will improve and learn from whats happening, Rodgers issue lasted for multiple years, whilst for Enzo for me its a 7 game run of gradually dropping performances.  I think with Top he wants a manager who plays a certain way, and he isnt going to keep finding these managers so will likely be cautious and give time.

28 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Just got back. Haven't been able to feel my toes for 2 hours. 

The worst part for me tonight was when Sheffield Wednesday replicated Enzo ball better than we did all night. Literally from back to front picked us off at one stage. They'd have honestly won that 4-1 with half decent strikers.

It's been coming. He hasn't got away with winning one like that for a change and I just hope he does something about it. 

Surely even Leicester can't mess this up. Can we?

Ifs and buts - had we not rested players and put out an unbalanced rusty backline we wouldn't have gifted them all but one of their best chances.

If we hadn't rested kdh and nididi we wouldn't have had casadei and yunus wasting two places on the team sheet and would have had a decent press and created twice the chances we did.

And yet, but for some poor game management, we were a minute away from three points.

Was it really so bad?

Guest nathan.
Just now, Chrysalis said:

He is in no danger of being sacked, few months into first season and still top of the table, I think if we fail to finish top 6 there would be a possibility, its also possible of course he will improve and learn from whats happening, Rodgers issue lasted for multiple years, whilst for Enzo for me its a 7 game run of gradually dropping performances.  I think with Top he wants a manager who plays a certain way, and he isnt going to keep finding these managers so will likely be cautious and give time.

I disagree if we fall into the lower end of the playoffs whilst playing this poorly he will be sacked.

31 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Listen, hard to really criticize our start, but we seem to be getting worse and I'm starting to wonder if he's all that.

Fine line between confidence and arrogance.

And ignorance.

Make no mistake about it tonights performance was awful. 

We should have been 2/3 goals down by the time we took the lead. 

Casadei should not be anywhere near the starting 11 based on what i've seen from him this season. We can't afford to rest our better players when we are suffering from poor form. If we play like that on Saturday we'll be on the receiving end of a big loss. 

Im glad that we are having to create a new identity for ourselves in the championship rather than the PL.. we would be ripped apart every week in the PL.

it will take time and getting the right players into the system.

it’s becoming a tough watch the last 5/6 games.. changes in personal that are not quite fitting in just yet..

A strong  Jan window with a LB , CM minimum with a view that they are better than what we have and looking towards PL next season. This will give us a welcome confidence boost..

5 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Ifs and buts - had we not rested players and put out an unbalanced rusty backline we wouldn't have gifted them all but one of their best chances.

If we hadn't rested kdh and nididi we wouldn't have had casadei and yunus wasting two places on the team sheet and would have had a decent press and created twice the chances we did.

And yet, but for some poor game management, we were a minute away from three points.

Was it really so bad?

It was awful.. ought to have been 2/3 down before we’ve scored.the reoccurring thing this season is how poor the opposition has been in converting their chances… we gift opportunities with our style of play

14 minutes ago, nathan. said:

Do you think the owners will **** around like they did with Rodgers?

I think the opposite, they will back him in the window after the start he made.

I am less than impressed after our recent run of games, and shared some of my thoughts on Beyond the 90. It takes time to coach a certain style, but if anything we seemed to have regressed, with not so many clips of great attacking sequences being posted on here in recent weeks.

In this game, we made 6 changes and that will affect the fluency of any team. Had we started with the team we finished with, I think we win that game. But this is a squad game, especially in this division, so we have to rotate players.

I expected a lot of rough games this season, but thought it would be bad results mixed with elements of good play in those bad results. But the season has been the opposite for the most part, great results but not very good performances. We want Enzo to be the man that makes a style even more impressive than Roberto di Zerbi at Brighton! But it feels a long way off that at the moment.

There's no need to overreact at the moment, but I don't think that anyone being critical can be chastised after the last 5-6 games, the performances on the pitch haven't been there.

Next game is a real test for us. The Baggies are one of the form teams in the division, with a great defence. They even restricted free-scoring Ipswich to next to nothing. So let's see how he bounces back from this one. But as it stands, there is some serious work to do. Instead of this style, he could play a 433 with a single pivot in Ndidi. That style would not work in the Premier League, but it would piss this division easily with the players that we have. That's why when people say we are winning in spite of our tactics instead of because of them, then objectively I would say they are correct.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, nathan. said:

The stubborn style of play for a start.

If it’s not working you need other options.

But he's trying to teach them the basics of his system. If you're learning to speak french and get stuck on some complicated grammar, you don't switch to learning spanish, you persever, stubbornly, to learn the grammar that's stumbling you.

Besides, it is working - dropping a few points, having a few set backs does not mean it has failed, it just means that it's progressing in a natural, expected way.

The last six games we haven't been as good as we were but we've taken 10 points, that's a standard to gain 77 points over a season, even if we continue at that rate we'd finish on 89 points - it is too early to claim it is not working.

• Like 1

Just now, Lillehamring said:

But he's trying to teach them the basics of his system. If you're learning to speak french and get stuck on some complicated grammar, you don't switch to learning spanish, you persever, stubbornly, to learn the grammar that's stumbling you.

Besides, it is working - dropping a few points, having a few set backs does not mean it has failed, it just means that it's progressing in a natural, expected way.

The last six games we haven't been as good as we were but we've taken 10 points, that's a standard to gain 77 points over a season, even if we continue at that rate we'd finish on 89 points - it is too early to claim it is not working.

You are definitely the voice of common sense, so good on you for doing that.

We can both be critical and defend the manager, and that's my stance. It takes a long time to really get a style to gel, and the manager deserves that time. But we can also say that recently he's made a few missteps and the team has underperformed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nathan. said:

It was working but now teams have figured it out.

How - by scoring a scrappy late winner, or a worldy freekick, or getting a fortuitous break from a corner?

Just because we aren't winning doesn't mean that it is because teams know how to stop us, it's because our standards have dropped. 

25 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Is it working relative to the talent we have though? you could argue yes and no on that imo, it's working in terms of the table, but given how hard a lot of us thought the championship would be, it's actually been far less competitive than I was expecting and the quality of chances wasted by out opponents has been quite shocking. 

It's working in terms of we've been playing together with this squad and system for less than half a season - there's still much to learn and masses of room for improvement.

And we've simply fallen into that same problem you mention - the quality of chances wasted by our opponents us has been quite shocking. 

• Like 1

Guest nathan.
Just now, Lillehamring said:

like sunderland?

Sunderland gave us serious problems.

We struggle against a good press because we are so passive in possession.

Guest Kopfkino
1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

What ever you feel about the way the football looks, it isn't shite - our results and league position prove that.

Fans who don't like the way we play really need to start accepting that that's the way it is, and maybe that's the way it needs to be to get us out of this league.

No it’s still shite, I’m just not succumbing to the results based analysis that people use to tell themselves it’s not.

Sherwood nailed our relegation first game of the season last year and he’s bang on that anyone half competent could get this team up this year. Now clearly Enzo has had to do a hell of a lot of good work behind the scenes to enable it but in terms of the system and structure of the team - the players are dragging that through rather than it making it better.

Again, it’s exactly the same as at Parma. The build up is too deep, the creative players don’t get the ball in dangerous parts of the pitch and lo and behold everyone goes we lack creativity, muh the 8s muh. We don’t, we just have a structure that sucks it out of us - creativity has no place in chess.

But alas I realise it’s not changing. I’d much rather be watching JDT’s football - the end result would be the same because the anyone half decent will get us up, I’d just have a lot more fun watching us do it.

10 minutes ago, Rigga said:

It was awful.. ought to have been 2/3 down before we’ve scored.the reoccurring thing this season is how poor the opposition has been in converting their chances… we gift opportunities with our style of play

Granted we were poor to give away the ball for those chances, but that's no guarantee they'll take them - for the first mads get his angles spot on, the 2nd vestergaard makes a fine block - it wasn't just that they were poor, we responded really well to the situations.

Besides, if they had scored the first, you don't think they'd have immediately parked the bus, you don't think we'd have had much more urgency? falling behind early has never been game over for us this season.

Once we'd settled, we totally controlled the game, played some good build up, a few really nice attacking phases, got the goal, should have done better in the final third.  

The only truly awful things was our game management in the last 15 minutes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nathan. said:

Any side with a good press and high energy will have success against that system.

12 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

like sunderland?

5 minutes ago, nathan. said:

Sunderland gave us serious problems.

We struggle against a good press because we are so passive in possession.

Explain to me what part of losing 1-0 was successful?