Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

Didn't we win the premier league by winning by the odd goal? How many games that season did we 'see teams off' 

We are in the championship for a reason, we aren't the finished article we are just better than the rest the table doesn't lie.

It is still early days and obviously teams are going to work out our style it's how we then adapt to still keep on winning. 

Well no that's not true, can think of many games we more than 1 nil up at half time.

Sunderland, Swansea twice, Manchester City, Newcastle.

And even then I'd say its a crazy comparison as that season really was unique

I'd have expected us to have breathing room in a game by now when the reality is we really haven't.

6 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

If you think being top of the league regardless of how it is achieved is shite then i have no words.

If you think that anyone, just by turning up to manage us, would also get us up then i have no words

You are obviously 100% correct on the first sentence.

The second one though - I’m not convinced. 

I think most managers would do very well with a squad that is quite a bit better than say 95% of the league?

It would largely be a case of making sure your team is motivated and well prepared physically…

• Thanks 1

I might be out of order here but to me it just seems that complacency is sneaking in again, everything is fine, we are top so we will get promoted. I think it may be because of what's happened the last couple of seasonsthat I feel that Enzo can't change it up, and think differently, oh, I don't know just get them winning well again! 

7 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

But we've also been poor at putting away chances - it works both ways - we're no better than most of the teams at this level for wasting good chances.

The other save he made was from vardy, which i don't recall, but this just emphasises the point above - our finishing was worse than there's - we had 12 shots 3 on target they had 14 and 7.

leeds scored after 58 minutes, boro 83 - we'd have had considerably more time tonight, against a much poorer team.

There was nothing wrong with our possession at the back, it was what we failed to do up front that was the problem - though we were poor at the end with our clearances and game management.

After gifting them the ball from our own defence/keeper… I certainly wouldn’t be saying that our defence in possession was good.. numerous times, vesty having to bring player down also when losing the ball…

here’s a note… we dominated possession yet the opposition had more shots on goal and on target..

I would argue that most of our shots were pit shots from outside the box… fatawu, ricardo, winks to name some..

it’s very much getting a possession for the sake of possession at times..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sbfox said:

Total fluke isn't it? Can't believe the world's best team (this week at least, was it Leeds last week?) WBA, aren't top! 

Recently we've been awful. Not to hard to admit. Being top doesn't mean you can't be criticised.

• Like 3

Nobody can really tell if this so-called possession style will be the answer long term, or is even working in the short term, until we play another Premier League side or two (maybe in the FA Cup). We ought to be winning games at Championship level playing any system and with the players at our disposal?  I'm still on board for now but it seems to be getting easier for sides to stifle us now we've been rumbled. Anyone else get the feeling we're sleepwalking into a relegation fight next season? :giggle:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

You are obviously 100% correct on the first sentence.

The second one though - I’m not convinced. 

I think most managers would do very well with a squad that is quite a bit better than say 95% of the league?

It would largely be a case of making sure your team is motivated and well prepared physically…

Just now, Fox92 said:

Recently we've been awful. Not to hard to admit. Being top doesn't mean you can't be criticised.

Exactly, any half decent manager would have us near the top come the end of the season. This silly high risk passing at the back/ midfield is only creating chances for the opposition now teams have analysed our play(who thankfully have been shocking at converting)when we get in the final third we seem to lack any risk taking. It’s great being top of the league, but the football is mainly awful to watch and the style is crying out for some adaptation.yesterdays game was the worst atmosphere I can remember in a long time, 

• Like 2

About three weeks into the season I raised the point that this brand of football is only useful with a plan B. I pointed out that Rodgers’ downfall was a lack of a plan B.

I was met with derision from the football professors who hinted at a nebulous ‘process’ and described it as ‘genuinely breathtaking’. Unfortunately, not in possession of a football PhD from the University of Football I had to bide my time.

Last night, and the past few games, we can see exactly why I said what I said. We lack any plan B at all and, if teams set up correctly, we waste vast swathes of time not penetrating. We’ve become a predictable team easy to play against and Enzo now needs to earn his seed and produce a different game plan.

This would have been good to discuss weeks ago but obviously people’s breath was so taken by the esoteric process that I was viewed as an idiot. Anyone who made the long, cold journey to Hillsborough last night will have seen writ large the problems with our tactics. We’ve not got the players that Man City have to blow teams away and we don’t have the different gears that Man City have.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

So are you suggesting that enzo getting a team that consists of players that have just been relegated, players who haven't played in england before, players on loan and players just up from the youth team to be top of the league and 8 points clear of third, 15 points clear of the playoff cut off, after only a third of a season isn't getting the best out of what he has?  that sounds like pretty great management to me. Oh, and with this team also having the best start to a managerial career in league history?

Seriously - do you think any of us can ask for more, or even in the context of a footy forum have the right to tell him what he should be doing?

It depends which way you look at it. 

Have we improved since the start of the season? I would say we haven't. In fact I would say we look less assured now than from 4th game in.  We seem to be going backwards, which is also what happens when we have the ball for the first 60 minutes of most matches.

Have we been found out? Recent results suggest we have and there does not seem to be any alternative offered by the manager. Ric's point about taking more risks in the defensive third than the attacking third is both valid and a little perplexing. If it was balanced I could understand a little more but we break the press then go backwards again.