Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

10 minutes ago, Livid said:

If there was more of an end product no one would be calling this boring. It’s frustrating though we don’t create more and put teams away. 

I know we seem to have edged  number of games but you don’t win 15 out of 19 by pure luck. 

Nailed it mate.

11 minutes ago, Livid said:

If there was more of an end product no one would be calling this boring. It’s frustrating though we don’t create more and put teams away. 

I know we seem to have edged  number of games but you don’t win 15 out of 19 by pure luck. 

And even this is weirdly unfair - with only free-scoring ipswich having bagged more than us.

People talk about leeds as a better attacking side than us, yet they have the same amount of goals as us despite having a slightly higher xG.

So it's not even the lack of an end product that is causing the 'boring factor', but, i would suggest, the amount of goals/chances relative to the amount of possession we have.  Again to compare with Leeds, with similar goals scored and xG - they have achieved this with just 56.9% of the ball, whilst we have consumed 64.3% of the ball,  and ipswich, who have outscored us both have managed it with just 52.3% of possession

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

We do need to become more savvy with passing out from the keeper. Numerous times a game we push our luck or give the ball away in stupid areas. 

Few times we really need to use our wingers curved runs as a release 

Enzo, he say, No.

“We always try to play the way we want to play,” he pledged. “Again, Mads lost the ball in the build-up and it happened at Sheffield Wednesday, but this is our way.

“We’re going to lose the ball. We’re going to concede some goals in this way. But, at the end, it’s much better for us to try this than not try.”

15 minutes ago, Livid said:

Yet we are joint 2nd highest scorers alongside Leeds (who everyone raves about) and have the best goal difference by 6 goals. 

Appreciate that this stat has under indexed in the last 6 games and Leeds have over indexed, but we know that for all teams form comes and goes. I definitely would like to see us be more clinical, and Vardy should have had a hatrick against Watford. I'm willing to be frustrated, but patient at the same time. 

Also about yesterday, if I am correct, West Brom currently sit third in the form table even after yesterday's defeat and they hadn't lost at home for months. In the match thread there were premonitions about this being the game where we take our first pummeling and that West Brom should have been firm favourites. With his celebration at the end, you could see that Enzo was definitely feeling the pressure, but fair play for getting the tactics and the approach largely bang on with this one.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Problem with that is, by definition, we'd have to be under pressure more often than not - which is neither how we would want to play, nor how we actually play.

What we need to do is to get better at counterattacking on the rarer occasions that we have the opportunity to.

...we do not have to be under the kosh to play that style!!!

You set traps and strike after certain triggers,

2 hours ago, renarde said:

Leicester are top of the points table.  But on the table that expresses number of shots as a proportion of possession time, they are 13th (Ipswich are first). 9th if transformed to goals.

That’s the way we play though 

limiting our opponent’s opportunity to attack our goal by keeping the ball - often simply to try and tire them out 

• Like 2

Yesterday there were at least 6 blocked attempts to split the defence with a pass whether they were just poor or inadvisable passes or the defence was ultra alert I couldn’t tell  but at least two of them would have given us a one on one with keeper. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I feel like this is something he'll need to compromise on. 

Not drop, but understand occasionally long ball

I'm more surprised that mads hasn't released a quick ball more often, especially when he's got it in his hands - i suspect that the expectation of the slow build up means that there's no real hustle from the players to get free for him.

As for long balls, i think you'll only see them in this sort of situation where mads sees an opening, otherwise long ball is the kryptonite to possession football.

4 hours ago, renarde said:

Leicester are top of the points table.  But on the table that expresses number of shots as a proportion of possession time, they are 13th (Ipswich are first). 9th if transformed to goals.

Thanks for finding the exact ranking, i tried to post some stats but this makes it much clearer why there is this perception that we play boring football.

But if you take this stat relative to our 4th ranked xG - it shows that the attitude of the players/instructions of the manager (and perhaps the problem right now) is that we'll only shoot when we feel like we have a good chances to score - thus the lowish shot count/high xG.  I suspect some of these teams above us in your stat are the sort of teams that shoot as soon as they see the goal.

40 minutes ago, davieG said:

Yesterday there were at least 6 blocked attempts to split the defence with a pass whether they were just poor or inadvisable passes or the defence was ultra alert I couldn’t tell  but at least two of them would have given us a one on one with keeper. 

I noticed that first half - faes had a couple, winks, maybe ricardo or vesty?

9 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I'm more surprised that mads hasn't released a quick ball more often, especially when he's got it in his hands - i suspect that the expectation of the slow build up means that there's no real hustle from the players to get free for him.

As for long balls, i think you'll only see them in this sort of situation where mads sees an opening, otherwise long ball is the kryptonite to possession football.

Quite a few times the wingers have done their curved runs and an accurate long ball would have us through. 

Or it's opening up other parts of the pitch, yet we've chosen the short pass etc 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Quite a few times the wingers have done their curved runs and an accurate long ball would have us through. 

Or it's opening up other parts of the pitch, yet we've chosen the short pass etc 

I've definitely seen mads come for a cross and look to see if there are options, but can't remember the last time he saw one, or at least targeted one.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

That’s the way we play though 

limiting our opponent’s opportunity to attack our goal by keeping the ball - often simply to try and tire them out 

But couldn't you also take from that, that we have the possession and don't really do anything with it hi-lighted by the low shot count.

(Que someone now saying but it's process Enzo wants, being patient, looking for solutions blah blah.  Maybe..... We are just passing for the sake of it)

Melt down in coming 🤪🤪

Just now, Guppys Love Child said:

But couldn't you also take from that, that we have the possession and don't really do anything with it hi-lighted by the low shot count.

(Que someone now saying but it's process Enzo wants, being patient, looking for solutions blah blah.  Maybe..... We are just passing for the sake of it)

Melt down in coming 🤪🤪

17 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

Melt down in coming 🤪🤪

Our most effective way of playing within enzo’s style is finding players free between the lines on the half turn 

to do that you need to make the pitch as big as possible  and recycle possession back and forth across the pitch, up and down. That means a lot of passes with no thought of creating a chance with them.   It also seems to pee a lot of fans off !

7 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

We do need to become more savvy with passing out from the keeper. Numerous times a game we push our luck or give the ball away in stupid areas. 

Few times we really need to use our wingers curved runs as a release 

55 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I'm no expert, but..... I thought the tactic was to drag players put of position by playing the ball in and out at the back, with the goalkeeper included in this, but if there are several opposition players marking a couple of Leicester defenders then surely that job has been done. No need then for the goalkeeper to pass short and there should be the space further up the pitch that the tactic was looking to create?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Admittedly hugely guessing, but since our style is very Man City like, it would make sense one of our wingers would be driving at the full back 

Like our Man City's often go back especially Foden and Grealish.

Madividi has something we just need a little more from him.

I'd also say the same about Fatawu.

We need more goals and assists from our wingers.