Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Explained it well and the system is pretty much exactly as I've seen it. I think the point he makes about having 5 players back is both why this system is going to see us genuinely hard to break down but also why we're probably not going to be scoring that many under him either. I think we're relying on the system to keep the goals out and the individuals to work bits of magic going forward. It really surprises me we're yet to draw a game 0-0.

I really want to see us create a few more chances. That's my main gripe at the minute.

Not all but most games we've created plenty of chances I think but just not taken them.

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Explained it well and the system is pretty much exactly as I've seen it. I think the point he makes about having 5 players back is both why this system is going to see us genuinely hard to break down but also why we're probably not going to be scoring that many under him either. I think we're relying on the system to keep the goals out and the individuals to work bits of magic going forward. It really surprises me we're yet to draw a game 0-0.

I really want to see us create a few more chances. That's my main gripe at the minute.

Not sure that 100% the case we are still joint 2nd highest scorers in the league.

Often we are playing teams who have 11 behind the ball, which has made it difficult.

I'd also agrue we still don't have the quality we need in attacking positions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure that 100% the case we are still joint 2nd highest scorers in the league.

Often we are playing teams who have 11 behind the ball, which has made it difficult.

I'd also agrue we still don't have the quality we need in attacking positions.

LDZt7of.png

If you look at the underlying data, we are 2nd top scorers, so this says to me that we are clinical as opposed to being a team that is excellent at chance creation. At least that's the situation as of today.

Maresca references Man City as being the best team that plays a similar style to us, and they score tons of goals. Whilst it's true they have amazing players, they are also very well coached for long periods of time and often times new players don't hit the ground right away but find their feet after a bit of time as they get used to the system. So I'm hoping we will see a similar situation play out here, as at the very least we clearly see multiple attacking patterns of play every match.

However, as of today I think it's fair to say that we are not as creative as other teams in the division.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The trade off though is that we're so solid defensively. The opposition rarely gets to run at us and rarely gets any transitions. (Which is what makes Vestergaard look so good this season)

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

LDZt7of.png

If you look at the underlying data, we are 2nd top scorers, so this says to me that we are clinical as opposed to being a team that is excellent at chance creation. At least that's the situation as of today.

Maresca references Man City as being the best team that plays a similar style to us, and they score tons of goals. Whilst it's true they have amazing players, they are also very well coached for long periods of time and often times new players don't hit the ground right away but find their feet after a bit of time as they get used to the system. So I'm hoping we will see a similar situation play out here, as at the very least we clearly see multiple attacking patterns of play every match.

However, as of today I think it's fair to say that we are not as creative as other teams in the division.

My overall feeling from watching games is that it's our finishing that's letting us down and not solely lack of creation all though that could be better especially the defence splitting passes.

34 minutes ago, davieG said:

My overall feeling from watching games is that it's our finishing that's letting us down and not solely lack of creation all though that could be better especially the defence splitting passes.

Which, if true, would raise the question of why Cannon cannot get any minutes at all given that he looked a very good finisher while on loan at Preston. It's even odder when you consider that Iheanacho will be off to Africa next month and Cannon will be rotating with Vardy - how is he supposed to get match fit and sharp if he can't get on the pitch?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Which, if true, would raise the question of why Cannon cannot get any minutes at all given that he looked a very good finisher while on loan at Preston. It's even odder when you consider that Iheanacho will be off to Africa next month and Cannon will be rotating with Vardy - how is he supposed to get match fit and sharp if he can't get on the pitch?

With only one striker the misses are spread with the wings and 8s missing a lot.

21 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Seeing this is a bit like having your homework marked when it comes to the info posted in this thread! I think overall, most of his setup is covered comprehensively by the main posters here, so well done to all.

Things that I think we did not cover in quite as much detail are:

• We try to defend as a 5 without dropping the inverted player back to full back to give us better coverage on the transition. That allows us to press high man-to-man when we lose the ball.
    • We drop the inverted player back if the opposition makes a few passes and plays out of trouble.
  • We drop our 9 deep into midfield to make another box midfield against certain setups, specifically 4231 setups.

It's a shame we don't see him comment on what we could be doing to improve in, but it's still a great video that I hope a lot of our fanbase gets to see.

To be honest the people I hear moan wouldn't understand it.

They'd just think he'd dropped his Smarties on the table

Edited by messerschmitt
mis type
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, davieG said:

We are 7th in the table for shots at goal Leeds are in 1st and somewhat surprising Coventry are 3rd despite being 17th in the actual league table,

we are 8th for shots on target Sunderland are 1st, Leeds 2nd, Coventry 5th,

we are 8th for goal conversion as well, Preston despite having the least amount of shots at goal and on target are 1st for goal conversion, Leeds are 17th and Coventry are 23rd 

57 minutes ago, brucey said:

Just heading back from the Q&A event with Enzo. 

A few bits that stood out:

- He would like to stay with us for 3 to 4 years after promotion to try and build something important in the PL. 

- Two days before a game, the team works on the attacking system/on the ball tactics. The day before a game, they work on the defensive system/off the ball tactics. 

- His main managerial inspirations are Pep (obviously) and Pelligrini. 

- Not much about specific tactics (much better covered in the masterclass video anyway). Mentioned how Ricardo gives more quality and Hamza gives more physicality in that important inverted fullback role, but that both have been excellent when called upon. 

- He thinks we deserved to win the Hull and Boro games, but not the Sheff Wed one (which he thinks was our worst performance of the season). He told the players as much the day after the Weds game. 

- He says we don't attack quick because that means the opponent will also attack quick and he doesn't want it to turn into a basketball game. If we get up the pitch with tiki taka it means our defence will be in position when we lose the ball. 

- He thinks the main reason we score so much more in the last half hour of games, is that the opponents tend to be more aggressive with pressing at the start, then sit back later in the game. 

- He and Claudio text each other occasionally, Claudio still sings praises about the club

- His two 'non-negotiables' for the players are 1) Commitment and 2) Keeping the ball (this was said completely seriously). And he will not be changing his style in the PL. 

- Cannon is fit but needs to wait for his chance as Vardy and Kel are doing well. 

- Alves and Braybrooke look special, he hopes to give Alves some chances before the end of the season. He expects more from the homegrown players like KDH than non-academy players. 

- Next 2 games are at a crucial point in the season and needs fans' support as they can feel the atmosphere from on the pitch. 

He said Claudio is in love with the club... :cap::wub:

Also he said the "players can smell the fans" - some of you lot do stink a bit 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brucey said:

- He would like to stay with us for 3 to 4 years after promotion to try and build something important in the PL. 

- Two days before a game, the team works on the attacking system/on the ball tactics. The day before a game, they work on the defensive system/off the ball tactics. 

- Not much about specific tactics (much better covered in the masterclass video anyway). Mentioned how Ricardo gives more quality and Hamza gives more physicality in that important inverted fullback role, but that both have been excellent when called upon. 

- He thinks we deserved to win the Hull and Boro games, but not the Sheff Wed one (which he thinks was our worst performance of the season). He told the players as much the day after the Weds game. 

- He says we don't attack quick because that means the opponent will also attack quick and he doesn't want it to turn into a basketball game. If we get up the pitch with tiki taka it means our defence will be in position when we lose the ball. 

- He thinks the main reason we score so much more in the last half hour of games, is that the opponents tend to be more aggressive with pressing at the start, then sit back later in the game. 

- He and Claudio text each other occasionally, Claudio still sings praises about the club. 

- His two 'non-negotiables' for the players are 1) Commitment and 2) Keeping the ball (this was said completely seriously). And he will not be changing his style in the PL. 

- Cannon is fit but needs to wait for his chance as Vardy and Kel are doing well. 

- Alves and Braybrooke look special, he hopes to give Alves some chances before the end of the season. He expects more from the homegrown players like KDH than non-academy players. 

- Next 2 games are at a crucial point in the season and needs fans' support as they can feel the atmosphere from on the pitch. 

Great summary thanks, and a few interesting comments.

3 hours ago, brucey said:

- He and Claudio text each other occasionally, Claudio still sings praises about the club. 

Thank you so much! I wanted to go, but a midweek trip back home (I live in London these days) in early December just wasn't possible.

The bit about keeping the ball, I don't have a problem with that because you literally cannot concede a goal if you have possession of the ball. And it's not like we don't want to attack, the idea is to attack at the right time.

Not attacking quickly is very interesting, and that is the aspect of his play the fans don't like. Me included! But I guess we will all have to get on board with it. He did say before the WBA game that it was important for the team to keep the ball even more than they did in previous games before making an opportunity, specifically saying "if we keep it for 2 minutes, we need to keep it for 4!" This is to make the opposition fans quiet and tire out the other team. If we use that time on the ball to construct a meaningful attack then it's all good, but many times we put 20 passes together, it goes all the way back to Hermansen, and he just kicks it long anyway lol. If someone tries a killer pass, a cross or someone takes a shot, at least the loss of possession is worthwhile!

But overall, I do get the underlying reasons for his style. If you maintain the ball and have control of the game that consistently, you will pick up a LOT of points. Man City have not been the only dominant force in English football history, but they reach points tallies that even the great Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal teams would struggle to reach.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 19:13, StriderHiryu said:

Seeing this is a bit like having your homework marked when it comes to the info posted in this thread! I think overall, most of his setup is covered comprehensively by the main posters here, so well done to all.

Things that I think we did not cover in quite as much detail are:

• We try to defend as a 5 without dropping the inverted player back to full back to give us better coverage on the transition. That allows us to press high man-to-man when we lose the ball.
    • We drop the inverted player back if the opposition makes a few passes and plays out of trouble.
  • We drop our 9 deep into midfield to make another box midfield against certain setups, specifically 4231 setups.

It's a shame we don't see him comment on what we could be doing to improve in, but it's still a great video that I hope a lot of our fanbase gets to see.

I'd love to hear his thoughts on how the striker in this system creates or has chances created for him.

There's likely a certain type of striker that fits this way of playing, but I'm not particularly interested if they're just a fluffer to create space for the maraudering 8's and wingers. I want a striker or a system that creates chances for their bagsman.

19 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

I’m not sure Cannon is actually fully match fit, the recent games have been so tight that he probably feels he can’t just chuck

him in.

11 hours ago, brucey said:

Did he keep a straight face when saying that?

• Haha 1

Gotta say, that's not great reading.

Its like having a sexy Gary Megson. Obsessed with not conceding and if we get a goal than thats a bonus 

I'm 99% sure the concensus will be Enzo out before Jan 2025 if he really isn't willing to adapt his methodology.

I just dont see how his vision of football can be successful when youre one of the weaker teams in a division.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Thank you so much! I wanted to go, but a midweek trip back home (I live in London these days) in early December just wasn't possible.

The bit about keeping the ball, I don't have a problem with that because you literally cannot concede a goal if you have possession of the ball. And it's not like we don't want to attack, the idea is to attack at the right time.

Not attacking quickly is very interesting, and that is the aspect of his play the fans don't like. Me included! But I guess we will all have to get on board with it. He did say before the WBA game that it was important for the team to keep the ball even more than they did in previous games before making an opportunity, specifically saying "if we keep it for 2 minutes, we need to keep it for 4!" This is to make the opposition fans quiet and tire out the other team. If we use that time on the ball to construct a meaningful attack then it's all good, but many times we put 20 passes together, it goes all the way back to Hermansen, and he just kicks it long anyway lol. If someone tries a killer pass, a cross or someone takes a shot, at least the loss of possession is worthwhile!

But overall, I do get the underlying reasons for his style. If you maintain the ball and have control of the game that consistently, you will pick up a LOT of points. Man City have not been the only dominant force in English football history, but they reach points tallies that even the great Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal teams would struggle to reach.

That's the bit I don't understand, If you attack quickly your defenders are still in their defensive positions?

Looking at the Winks breakaway goal, If Iheanachos' pass to KDH had been intercepted, the defence couldn't have been better placed.

If KDH had somehow been tackled after getting into the opponent's half, we were still in a good defence position?