Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Hard to work out how and why we concede so many fluke late goals. 

Brum, Ipswich both deflections and West Brom Sheff Weds both hit and hope pinballs. 

I accept this is a bit of a weird.comment / weak argument,.but are we victims of our own success? We outplay teams so much that the opposition and crowd get so excited by a corner or throw in and/or elated that they are only a goal behind (when, such as at Brum, they should've been 6 or 7 down).

The only.answernis to learn nasty streak and really put out foot on the throat. We haven't yet developed that brutal side. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Hard to work out how and why we concede so many fluke late goals. 

Brum, Ipswich both deflections and West Brom Sheff Weds both hit and hope pinballs. 

I accept this is a bit of a weird.comment / weak argument,.but are we victims of our own success? We outplay teams so much that the opposition and crowd get so excited by a corner or throw in and/or elated that they are only a goal behind (when, such as at Brum, they should've been 6 or 7 down).

The only.answernis to learn nasty streak and really put out foot on the throat. We haven't yet developed that brutal side. 

I’m not sure we do? 

think we’ve only conceded 6 goals all season in the final 30 mins of matches. 

only 3 of them have resulted in dropped points. 

Middlesbrough, Sheffield Weds, Ipswich. 

One was a worldie free kick, one was a scrappy set piece, the other was a one in a million double deflection 

• Like 4

On 24/12/2023 at 10:37, UniFox21 said:

I've really enjoyed watching how Maresca has implemented slight tweaks to his system each week.

First few months we were very rigid in the tactics we used, and the football we played. 

Lately we've tweaked things ever so slightly to counter the opposition, but they've been so effective.

I think he's really growing into his role now. 

I think it is more the case that early on the tactics were limited rather than rigid.  the players couldn't learn everything at once, but they had to start playing with the basics.  Half a season in, players are more comfortable and the original plan can be developed and expanded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I think it is more the case that early on the tactics were limited rather than rigid.  the players couldn't learn everything at once, but they had to start playing with the basics.  Half a season in, players are more comfortable and the original plan can be developed and expanded.

Its that old classic problem of professional footballers not knowing they can play through balls in behind the oppo defence. Im glad they picked it up after 6 months though  :p 

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

We lost control of the game in the second half. The subs were the main reason... our best pressing players are Daka, KDH and Ndidi. So replacing all three meant our pressing wasn't as good, and meant that we lost control. If you look at the volume of chances Ipswich created in the second half, they deserved something from the game.

I think we need (and will) another number 8, because the replacement 8's for KDH and Ndidi significantly weaken the team. Today I think Enzo should have put Hamza on in Ricardo's position and move Riccy up to be an 8 instead of either Casadei or Yunus.

I was waiting for your comment hoping that perhaps you could fathom an explanation as to why we played with KDH and Wilf switched to each other’s ‘normal’ side of the pitch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Its that old classic problem of professional footballers not knowing they can play through balls in behind the oppo defence. Im glad they picked it up after 6 months though  :p 

As with most things in life, one gets better and more comfortable (even confident) with repetition.

• Like 1

My gut feeling is that because we haven’t given consistent game time to the second stringers, every time we bring someone in we are going to look a little off (Coady, Yunus, Casadei in particular)

Striker is a key example, Daka getting consistent time = him scoring and playing well. JJ playing more as well has certainly helped him vs start of the season.

I would also say that they should be getting game time because they deserve it not for rotations sake.

I think the second string is more than good enough, just hasn’t had time to figure out the system when they’ve haven’t had lots of time in it vs the regulars.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I’m not sure we do? 

think we’ve only conceded 6 goals all season in the final 30 mins of matches. 

only 3 of them have resulted in dropped points. 

Middlesbrough, Sheffield Weds, Ipswich. 

One was a worldie free kick, one was a scrappy set piece, the other was a one in a million double deflection 

We've conceded late v Ipswich, Sheff Weds, Millwall, Brum and West Brom - basically in six of our last nine games or so. 

Most of them 'flukes' .... which, is kind of difficult to mitigate against. It's actually very strange. The opposition can basically only score down to chaos. The point I was making is that, somehow, despite being outplayed, we allow the opposition to retain hope. We need to rub their noses on it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

I never feel totally confident when Conor Coady is in the team? Has he played in many of the games we’ve dropped points?

Whilst he didn't really put a defensive foot wrong. His tempo and passing wasn't the same as the other 2. But then again.. He's played a fraction of their games. So should we expect him to be fully up to speed?

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

We've conceded late v Ipswich, Sheff Weds, Millwall, Brum and West Brom - basically in six of our last nine games or so. 

Most of them 'flukes' .... which, is kind of difficult to mitigate against. It's actually very strange. The opposition can basically only score down to chaos. The point I was making is that, somehow, despite being outplayed, we allow the opposition to retain hope. We need to rub their noses on it.

I guess I’d just question what this means, in practice, given that only 3 of the late goals we’ve conceded all season have contributed to dropped points 

7 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

I was waiting for your comment hoping that perhaps you could fathom an explanation as to why we played with KDH and Wilf switched to each other’s ‘normal’ side of the pitch

Pressing triggers / who to press. It looked like Ndidi was on Morsy and did a great job on him. Casadei less so…

It might also be because of what foot Ipswich’s midfield uses. Luongo was rested for them, but he’s left footed. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rigga said:

We really have no legs in midfield when KDH and Wilf are subbed off..

Yunus and Casedei really ain’t box to box players..

hamza would have been the ideal protection we needed..

Still confused why we didn’t put hamza on as first change in midfield to keep high energy although enzo only likes him in winks role or ricardo role doesn’t he. 

One of the things I found odd was Hermansen going long from goal kicks towards the end.  It contributed to us ceding control of the game as Ipswich won most of those long balls and came straight at us.  

I'm all for a hoof where the situation demands it, if he's under pressure etc but I couldn't understand why Maresca and told him to go long.  

I had consumed the best part of a bottle of fortified wine so perhaps I'm missing something or was I dreaming this?

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

He was taking pelters yesterday, but i thought he was fine. Played the ball to Daka that resulted in the Goal. He has far less game time than the others.

Some of our fanbase absolutely boil my piss, the way they slag players off and pick on scapegoats is pathetic and embarrassing. Coady was absolutely fine yesterday in fact I thought alongside Vesty and Faes they were very good and dealt with their supposed attacking threat very well. 

I feel for Coady as he is suffering as a result of that injury and the unbelievable form shown by Vesty which has severely hampered and restricted his game time and yet some of the helmets think he should just come in for the odd 90 minutes every 6 or 7 games and be flawless. Absolutely clueless 😂

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Pressing triggers / who to press. It looked like Ndidi was on Morsy and did a great job on him. Casadei less so…

It might also be because of what foot Ipswich’s midfield uses. Luongo was rested for them, but he’s left footed. 

Perhaps it's just that we had Wout at LB and Wilf is a bit more defensive than KDH so he was put there in case Faes needed help. Which he didn't seem to in the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

I never feel totally confident when Conor Coady is in the team? Has he played in many of the games we’ve dropped points?

He’s far too aggressive when he steps out and his mobility for a relatively small CB is terrible too. Leaves big holes at the back.

It’s easy to kick off when we slip up. 

Calmed down a smidge since yesterday, but I’m at about 90% of pure anger still this season following last, so it doesn’t take much. 

In terms of his tactics I don’t think he got a lot wrong yesterday. The only thing I can criticise is the fact we didn’t look harder to get that second goal. 

As mentioned I wasn’t as impressed with Ipswich as others seem to have been on here, I think they do have a bit of quality, and complement it well with hard work….. but, as Leeds demonstrated, they leave a lot of space in behind and the better teams in this league should punish them. I felt we tried to manage the game at 1-0 and that’s a dangerous game at this level particularly, because I think more players are willing to take those pop shots from distance than you will in the premier league where most of the teams prefer to play through teams. 

Looking at it again, he’s got to rotate, he can’t keep playing the same players over and over when we have other options, especially through this period. 

In a nutshell, we should have pursued that second goal more relentlessly before making the changes we did, if we had got it, the game was over. 

• Like 1

@StriderHiryu

What you think of Ipswich’s use of Chaplin and getting one of centre backs to go out of shape? They kept getting Vestergaard to follow and left significant gaps for quick one/two’s. 

Also they had Harness come away from his wing which Ricardo had to follow. This neutralised Fatawu whom spent good parts of the game having to play RB and cover Leif Davis at LB 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Looking at it again, he’s got to rotate, he can’t keep playing the same players over and over when we have other options, especially through this period. 

In a nutshell, we should have pursued that second goal more relentlessly before making the changes we did, if we had got it, the game was over. 

Im baffled at the lack of rotation actually. Earlier in the season when it was totally unnecessary he was making a point of how important rotation is. 

Now were at the point where rotation is important he has fallen into the trap of sticking with his trusted eleven.

Maresca has had a dream first half of the season and has put us in a position of extraordinary strength for a return to the Premier League, so he deserves all the praise going for what he has done so far, both tactically and in terms of man management.

Yesterday, however, he got his substitutions horribly wrong, which ultimately cost us two points, and worryingly said afterwards that he was “very happy” with the performance.

We have had a few brilliant first halves of the season in the recent past. The second half will determine whether he is a Ranieri or a Rodgers.

40 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

One of the things I found odd was Hermansen going long from goal kicks towards the end.  It contributed to us ceding control of the game as Ipswich won most of those long balls and came straight at us.  

I'm all for a hoof where the situation demands it, if he's under pressure etc but I couldn't understand why Maresca and told him to go long.  

I had consumed the best part of a bottle of fortified wine so perhaps I'm missing something or was I dreaming this?

Going long is fine as it gets the ball away from our goal. The problem was putting a striker on that has zero mobility,  wont chase and doesnt put pressure on defenders so going long was effectively just giving Ipswich the ball back and allowing them to start another attack

Edited by South Shire Fox
  • Like 1