Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

1 minute ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Nope. There’s a clear trend. 

His subs have too often been garbage and at the wrong times. 

Its normal to highlight this.

In this game, with Abdul having a moment, with no replacement attackers, I saw the sense in it. Drawing comparisons to the listed games is not, with out acknowledging those factors, a reasonable comparison in my opinion.

Anyway, it was the fact you followed up so rapidly with the "here come the happy clappers" dismissive line that made me chuckle. :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I know it’s been a rarity this season but it’s worrying when it isn’t going to plan against decent opposition that his subs are extremely poor. It was difficult with being down to 10 men but I can’t for the life of me understand why he took cannon off. 

Because Cannon was doing doggies for about 40mins and was absolutely knackered. And with absolutely no alternative on the bench his best solution was using McAteers legs up top for a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Seen no evidence to suggest Enzo will learn from this. 

West Brom, Ipswich, Boro and sheff Weds fixtures haven’t seemed to have done the trick so why should this one? 

So the deal is the manager has to win every match, otherwise he is shite?

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not at all but there is food for thought that he doesn't have a Plan B (Or is too stubborn/thinks a Plan B is a bad thing, do Plan A better - As do most managers/an opinion within the 'modern game') and constructive criticism's can be made.

There is a reason why we are playing as we are in this league and it's clearly successful but does that mean you don't need to; Change at times? Adapt? Have a Plan B or other options? Add more strings to your bow? Absolutely not.

Simply sitting there, happily clapping and agree with everything that goes got us in the mess and relegated to this league, you are allowed to question things, give opinions and discuss.

Becoming a bit of a meme I think, this one.

• Like 2

I think we lack options on the bench in wide areas when we are closing out a game, it would be useful to have some pace to bring on to get us up the pitch and get a goal. Ipswich have loads of options in striker/wing positions.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not at all but there is food for thought that he doesn't have a Plan B (Or is too stubborn/thinks a Plan B is a bad thing, do Plan A better - As do most managers/an opinion within the 'modern game') and constructive criticism's can be made.

There is a reason why we are playing as we are in this league and it's clearly successful but does that mean you don't need to; Change at times? Adapt? Have a Plan B or other options? Add more strings to your bow? Absolutely not.

Simply sitting there, happily clapping and agree with everything that goes got us in the mess and relegated to this league, you are allowed to question things, give opinions and discuss.

Err, hang on. The poster said exactly this:

Seen no evidence to suggest Enzo will learn from this. 

West Brom, Ipswich, Boro and sheff Weds fixtures haven’t seemed to have done the trick so why should this one? 

Now, amusingly putting aside a 10 game winning run leading up to this game, and the context of what happened in the game, what evidence is there to suggest that Enzo is not learning from anything? Its an absolutely nonsense statement.  Yes, Enzo has his vision and philosophy, and i would have thought we are all clear on that by now. But he has shown he is more than capable of tweaking to suite tactical scenarios and (up until this point) we had only met our match with deflected shots and worldies. Its a very impressive record. 

I would say this is the first game where it went largely horribly wrong (other than Liverpool). Yet, leading up to that 'moment' we were winning it the way we usually do. Enzo made a call and changed the tactic - it didn't work. Has it occured to most people there was probably no right answer in that situation.  Next time this happens we maybe already chasing a game and he will approach it differently. We were poor this game, and Coventry deserved the win. Pains me to say it but they are one of the few who have actually deserved it.

In this league teams teams who get promoted lose games.  We are going to lose more before the season is over. Anyone who doesnt get that needs to give their heads a wobble. 

We all know where this statement really means. I've had to listen to dick***s at the KP saying 'this style was always going to get us in trouble', and of course 'foooooorrrrwarrds'.......

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Becoming a bit of a meme I think, this one.

He obviously doesn't have a plan B though, because he didn't stick a defender up top and start hoofing long balls to them.

I think that's what Plan B means, anyway. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

He obviously doesn't have a plan B though, because he didn't stick a defender up top and start hoofing long balls to them.

I think that's what Plan B means, anyway. 

Haha literally. Get Souttar upfront!!!

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I don't think our tactics take into account the opposing team's mentality. 

We can be (seemingly) cruising at 1 or 2 up and the opponents can often be quite content with that and basically then give it bash in the last 15 mins. 

Even v Brum, cruising with a 2 goal cushion and an opponent totally out of their depth against us, shithouse a goal late on and it's game on. 

Even at home to Huddersfield we took our eye off the ball 

• Like 2

I do not think he is overly bothered by individual games so long as the overall plan keeps ticking along, so a game where a player has gone halfway through  will probably be looked at more for how the other players still on the pitch respond, or not.

I’m going to stick up for Enzo. 

I don’t think he got anything wrong yesterday, we lost because of the red card……..

Playing a whole half with ten men and as @Bert rightly said, it was basically Cov’s cup final. It’s always going to be a tough.

I don’t think taking Cannon and Mavididi off was a bad call, going down to ten means you’re potentially asking both to put more in, either of those get injured as a result we’re fuched.

For me, take off players you want to protect and try and see the game out, which is what we did, but unfortunately we’re a weird side when it comes to defending, we don’t concede a lot (and I think that’s down to dominating possession), but we do concede poor goals. As soon as we went down to ten men, I think the game was potentially lost because we’re still a bit soft at times, Coventry got the rub of the green and the decisions after the penalty. 

At the end of the day, it comes down to the red card, that screwed us. Lessons will be learned and I back is to go on a long run now to seal promotion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I’m going to stick up for Enzo. 

I don’t think he got anything wrong yesterday, we lost because of the red card……..

Playing a whole half with ten men and as @Bert rightly said, it was basically Cov’s cup final. It’s always going to be a tough.

I don’t think taking Cannon and Mavididi off was a bad call, going down to ten means you’re potentially asking both to put more in, either of those get injured as a result we’re fuched.

For me, take off players you want to protect and try and see the game out, which is what we did, but unfortunately we’re a weird side when it comes to defending, we don’t concede a lot (and I think that’s down to dominating possession), but we do concede poor goals. As soon as we went down to ten men, I think the game was potentially lost because we’re still a bit soft at times, Coventry got the rub of the green and the decisions after the penalty. 

At the end of the day, it comes down to the red card, that screwed us. Lessons will be learned and I back is to go on a long run now to seal promotion.

Its a no win situation. If the red card happens in the 70th minute its much more likely we hang on, especially if we continued to have a bit more control of the game.

But at half time. If he 'goes for it' and we lose 3-1 then everyone says he should have parked the bus. We parked the bus, so everyone says he should have done something else. Trying to see out the result in hindsight was likely the best call. I dont think anything else would have worked either.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

People expectations are wild, you can't dominant every minute of every game.

Most wins 21 wins (11 of those by a 2 goal margin or more.

Most points 

Most goals

fewest goals conceded.

But sod you Enzo you have no plan B lol.

There's a pretty 'clear trend' here too, but a few folk seemed to have missed that.

I'm sure some hone in on the tiniest flaws so they can quote themselves in 3 years time, claiming they were some sort of visionary for spotting that the manager isn't absolutely perfect.

• Like 1

Guest glasgowfox
5 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

I know it’s been a rarity this season but it’s worrying when it isn’t going to plan against decent opposition that his subs are extremely poor. It was difficult with being down to 10 men but I can’t for the life of me understand why he took cannon off. 

Because he was f.cked and we have one fit striker available at the club???

5 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

So we lost one of our wingers, and we have one fit (and relatively Junior) striker who is going to have to last us through the entire afcon period, and the plan was to park the bus. What would the better subs have been?

3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

So we lost one of our wingers, and we have one fit (and relatively Junior) striker who is going to have to last us through the entire afcon period, and the plan was to park the bus. What would the better subs have been?

It’s not just this game though.

He’s also has a habit of making 3 stoppages without using the full 5.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

2 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Thought he got it completely wrong yesterday second half. Very frustrating even with the red card. 

What do you imagine we should have done? Maybe see leaving Steph on, but he wasn’t great and with no decent opposing winger, it probably made sense to ditch him to maintain some balance and go more narrow.

3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It’s not just this game though.

He’s also has a habit of making 3 stoppages without using the full 5.

The poster was directly referencing this match. I am not pretending everything has been perfect, but so far the evidence suggests more has been done right vs wrong. 

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

People expectations are wild, you can't dominant every minute of every game.

Most wins 21 wins (11 of those by a 2 goal margin or more.

Most points 

Most goals

fewest goals conceded.

But sod you Enzo you have no plan B lol.

Except it isn’t a ‘Sod you Enzo’ though is it? 

I, along with multiple others on here and at the games are merely highlighting a persistent issue.

I want us to improve and be more than just competitive when we are back in the PL. 

Its an online Football forum, of course loads of comments on here are going to be ‘negative’, ‘critical’ or even ‘moany’ but that’s largely what happens.

When we win, it’s brilliant and more often than not I’ll celebrate with mates, talk about it down the pub or wind up colleagues. One of the last things on my mind is coming straight in here to praise the club.

However it’s different when we lose, rather than annoy the hell out the mrs or depress the people around me I’ll come on here and vent🤷‍♂️