Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Yes, 2 main criticisms for me.

1. Use your subs more quickly, and proactively rather than reactively; memories of Brendan.

2. Mavdidi was running them ragged first half and was anonymous in the second - identify why that's happened and make changes to reverse it (a simple action which rarely seems to be tried is to switch your wingers).

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I don’t think this is a pile on maresca situation. I think we set up perfectly. 

The one real criticism I have, is why he didn’t take mcateer off earlier as he was blowing.

Personally, I would have stuck yunus out wide and kept kdh on but i’m guessing that was more to do with the injury he had 

You still need to change your midfield at some point.

Most teams now have pretty much set changes at set times - and it makes sense.

It allows players to manage their efforts and allows fresh effort and focus.

Frustratingly, our squad make-up at present doesn’t allow for that. 

Sensi will be handy no doubt, but I’d say someone like Brownhill is the bigger priority.

1 minute ago, deep blue said:

Yes, 2 main criticisms for me.

1. Use your subs more quickly, and proactively rather than reactively; memories of Brendan.

2. Mavdidi was running them ragged first half and was anonymous in the second - identify why that's happened and make changes to reverse it (a simple action which rarely seems to be tried is to switch your wingers).

The issue I have is using subs early is usually to make an impact or improve something. The bench just doesn't look capable of that at the moment.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. '

Use the flippin squad, get some fresh bodies out there and maybe consider changing shape when defending a narrow lead. 

We’ve seen out plenty of games this year. We’ve only blown late leads to Ipswich (twice off deflected goals) and Wednesday. 

Just now, The_77 said:

We’ve seen out plenty of games this year. We’ve only blown late leads to Ipswich (twice off deflected goals) and Wednesday. 

I’m not counting Cov here because of the red card. 

• Like 1

Without getting carried away, i genuinely think i could replace McAteer and offer more for the team offensively.

Not sure if it's a lack of confidence, or a lack of ability, but how he manages to halt almost every attack is remarkable.

• Like 1

Guest glasgowfox
1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

Without getting carried away, i genuinely think i could replace McAteer and offer more for the team offensively.

Not sure if it's a lack of confidence, or a lack of ability, but how he manages to halt almost every attack is remarkable.

I get your frustration but i honestly think he is playing to orders....the boy has pace to burn but always seems he is told to keep the ball and pass rather than take the full back on

1 minute ago, glasgowfox said:

I get your frustration but i honestly think he is playing to orders....the boy has pace to burn but always seems he is told to keep the ball and pass rather than take the full back on

Mavididi & Fatawu play the same position, to the same tactics, and are very offensive.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Laughable that anyone can question him.

If you're one of the absolute idiots that can't go 10 seconds without screeching "get it forward" then hand your season ticket in 👍

You can question his in game management and complete disregard of a plan b. 

• Like 1

Did the post match with Neel in the video above:

My take on the game was that overall we were quite good, but a recurring theme under Maresca is:

• Not enough subs
  • Subs too late in the game
  • Prefers to control games rather than trying to kill them off
    • In the Championship we have the best squad, so we play with a needless amount of fear in these situations

Overall still in a fantastic position to be in, but frustrating that in 190 minutes (including injury time) against Ipswich, we led for 180 of them! And only got 2 points out of 6.

Still, I'll take it over Deeney Day or Kermogant Panenka attempts all day long.

Onto the next one!

• Like 2

Just now, Blue-fox said:

7 points clear. 66 points in mid-Jan. Think it's quite clear he knows how to manage a game or two.

• Like 1

Guest glasgowfox
2 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Mavididi & Fatawu play the same position, to the same tactics, and are very offensive.

Fatawu did not take his full back on once at Coventry so got frustrated leading to his sending off

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

7 points clear. 66 points in mid-Jan. Think it's quite clear he knows how to manage a game or two.

But it’s also quite clear he makes obviously strange and incorrect subs. 

• Like 2

Just now, AKCJ said:

Not disagreeing with you, but on the flip side, it's likely the most expensive, and definitely the most quality filled squad, to ever play in this division.

I genuinely believe that any number of managers could have us sat exactly where we are currently sat.

Not anti Maresca by any stretch, but i'll reserve judgement for next season, if we are promoted, to see how he deals in a league we'll actually have to 'compete' in.

• Like 3

Not sure if Susan pumped some pineapple on his pizza and it’s pissed him off, but daddy needs to be making changes sooner - especially when they bring in 4 pairs of fresh legs. 

The Vardy sub was pointless. Completely pointless. 

3 minutes ago, glasgowfox said:

Fatawu did not take his full back on once at Coventry so got frustrated leading to his sending off

But he tried, he showed some attacking intent, and that's a minority. More often than not he gives full backs nightmares, just like Mavididi when he's on form.

I don't think i've ever seen McAteer particularly offensive. When he's got no options, he'll try and beat his man.

Again, just an observation and it brings me back to my original point, I am not sure if it's a lack of confidence, or ability.

Guest glasgowfox
1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

But he tried, he showed some attacking intent, and that's a minority. More often than not he gives full backs nightmares, just like Mavididi when he's on form.

I don't think i've ever seen McAteer particularly offensive. When he's got no options, he'll try and beat his man.

Again, just an observation and it brings me back to my original point, I am not sure if it's a lack of confidence, or ability.

So not offensive when he has scored????

12 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Shut the forum down. We can’t discuss managers decisions anymore. 

it’s a discussion. Nobody has said he isn’t a good manager! There is clearly a pattern of conceding late occuring and it needs addressing. 

Edited by frany104
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

It’s like he’s reverting back to his Italian routes. 

Can we loan him back to Man City for a bit for development? 

If there was two things I expected upon entering this thread, it was this poster… 

17 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

And this line being trotted out.

Edited by Aleksz