Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I hate when playing well, being a constant threat, going ahead and then throwing it away trying to conserve the lead. Do what was working in the first place.

Sitting deep trying to see the game out just invites pressure and mistakes. Sheffield Wednesday A and Ipswich A were prime examples, go for the throat.

The worry is he doesn't learn and doesn't try anything different

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

I hate when playing well, being a constant threat, going ahead and then throwing it away trying to conserve the lead. Do what was working in the first place.

Sitting deep trying to see the game out just invites pressure and mistakes. Sheffield Wednesday A and Ipswich A were prime examples, go for the throat.

Literally only happened 4 times this season and I think in all those it'd be irrelevant if we'd take 1-2 more chances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Literally only happened 4 times this season and I think in all those it'd be irrelevant if we'd take 1-2 more chances. 

If we’d taken just 1-2 more chances last season we’d still be a Premier League team.

I’m not overly worried at the minute theres been enough progress considering the state the team and club was in when Enzo arrived but its concerning that many weaknesses from last season are still apparent. 

36 minutes ago, Dames said:

If we’d taken just 1-2 more chances last season we’d still be a Premier League team.

I’m not overly worried at the minute theres been enough progress considering the state the team and club was in when Enzo arrived but its concerning that many weaknesses from last season are still apparent. 

I mean, given that we’re comfortably top I’m not sure what kind of counter argument that is? 

the claim was “we play well and then we stop playing well and drop points” 

but that’s only happened 4 times. And in each instance it was as much about missing chances whilst on top than it was about dropping points later in the game. 

and yes, we also missed chances last season. So what? Last season it made the difference between staying up or going down - so it was relevant. 

it’s not particularly relevant this season given that we’re top anyhow? 

(for what it’s worth, the main reason we went down last season was our terrible defence anyway) 

• Like 1

my issues with tactics:

love winning, but would be happy to lose 1 or 2 more if the style were more entertaining / dynamic.

games this season are roughly 80% watching vestegaard, faes, hermansen and justin with their foot on the ball (which is boring as ****) 20% watching KDH, Mavididi, Fatawu try to score or progress up the pitch (which is really exciting). 

so the tactics ensure about 15-20 mins of excitment per game for about £50-60 invested which is worse value than the granny gram that Rooney used to visit back in the day. 

Put simply i'd rather us try and play more like a Klopp team than a Pep team. Heavy Metal, not Heavy Going.

That would mean playing Coady/Faes (who can both pass and can turn marginally quicker than a glacier), still have the chance to invert Ricardo / Justin when we are on the ball, but importantly try to get Mavi, Fatawu, Yunus, Cannon, Daka, Vardy, KDH on to the ball a higher proportion of the time. 

Winning is great and all that, but watching the post formation formations at work in the Ipswich game was just plain ridiculous at times. Faes stood at LB, Choudhury stood at CB, Vest stood at RB, Ricardo in midfield. KDH inside right when he's one legged. It was no wonder Ipswich eventually became more bold and took hold of the game.

I understand Vestegaard is a flat track bully in terms of his ability to pick a pass over 10 yds in the championship. But everyone KNOWS that he won't be able to fulfil that role in the Prem and so giving him 30 odd % of our time on the ball means the fans know we aren't really building the spine of a new prem team. It will have to be completely recast when we go up as the lynchpin of the system will get torn a 3rd arsehole by prem forwards who are fast and can finish. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tuna said:

The worry is he doesn't learn and doesn't try anything different

Rebuild ,developement and within any progress,mistakes

and flaws within descisions are part of the squad & System evolving.

Enzo learn process,I would say so far is more balanced,than those fans shitting

themselves everytime they perceive to recognise instability within the process & progress of Enzo’s ideology implementation & growth of his system.

On 27/01/2024 at 10:33, Muzzy_no7 said:

Replication of Enzo-Ball on FM24 for all those interested 👍🏼

Must admit this is the best replication yet and hasn’t for once had me completely running away with the league. It’s a lot more realistic and is coming with the problems of the odd late goal and not killing teams off.

KDH as a Roaming playmaker, Ricardo as IWB and Cannon as a proper pressing forward really make the difference. 

A couple of things I noticed tonight. Keen to understand from some of the more tactically astute among us whether they share my views.

I think teams have twigged how important Winks is to our system. We aren't really getting pressed as a team, but Harry is afforded absolutely no time. The ball goes into him, and he's shut down in an instant. Worse, he's often man-marked. Earlier in the season we'd play the ball into him and he'd have the time to ping a first time pass on the angle to our right back or left back, who would proceed to find a winger or an 8. 

I think this is largely why we look more ponderous at times recently. There's no out ball. This isn't helped by the fact that KDH doesn't show short (because he's not great at taking the ball under pressure), and (tonight) Praet simply isn't dynamic enough to offer that option even if he wanted to.

It felt tonight as though it was defence + Winks in our defensive third, then everyone else either too far up the pitch to influence play, or completely crowded out in the middle.

I actually thought KDH was our MOTM today, but it's games like these that do make me wonder about next season. If Winks is going to be our Pivot, and Sensi our ball-playing 8, where does KDH feature for us? It feels like we need a physical presence in there, but a player who is equally adept at offering for the ball deep to take the ball from Mads or our centre halves. It's too easy to mark Winks out of the game and leave us looking confused otherwise.

Going to be fascinating to see how it all plays out because KDH is brilliant at pressing and doing all of the things we probably need from a midfielder if we were going to play for the counter attack against the better teams (or even competent teams away from home.) You get the feeling that's not going to be the plan under Enzo, though. 

He was fantastic tonight, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us cash in on him in the summer so that Enzo can build a team more bespoke to his idea of football.

Or, I dunno, FORRRRRWAAAAAAARD 🙄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

A couple of things I noticed tonight. Keen to understand from some of the more tactically astute among us whether they share my views.

I think teams have twigged how important Winks is to our system. We aren't really getting pressed as a team, but Harry is afforded absolutely no time. The ball goes into him, and he's shut down in an instant. Worse, he's often man-marked. Earlier in the season we'd play the ball into him and he'd have the time to ping a first time pass on the angle to our right back or left back, who would proceed to find a winger or an 8. 

I think this is largely why we look more ponderous at times recently. There's no out ball. This isn't helped by the fact that KDH doesn't show short (because he's not great at taking the ball under pressure), and (tonight) Praet simply isn't dynamic enough to offer that option even if he wanted to.

It felt tonight as though it was defence + Winks in our defensive third, then everyone else either too far up the pitch to influence play, or completely crowded out in the middle.

I actually thought KDH was our MOTM today, but it's games like these that do make me wonder about next season. If Winks is going to be our Pivot, and Sensi our ball-playing 8, where does KDH feature for us? It feels like we need a physical presence in there, but a player who is equally adept at offering for the ball deep to take the ball from Mads or our centre halves. It's too easy to mark Winks out of the game and leave us looking confused otherwise.

Going to be fascinating to see how it all plays out because KDH is brilliant at pressing and doing all of the things we probably need from a midfielder if we were going to play for the counter attack against the better teams (or even competent teams away from home.) You get the feeling that's not going to be the plan under Enzo, though. 

He was fantastic tonight, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us cash in on him in the summer so that Enzo can build a team more bespoke to his idea of football.

You’re spot on mate. Winks has been identified as our main threat in build up, and I think that’s why we’ve seen a drop off in how effective he was at the start of the season. I do think that’s highlighted Ricardo’s quality when he steps into midfield though - hard work shutting both of them down. 

Ultimately it’s not KDH’s job to drop too deep, the purpose of having Ricardo in there is to supplement the numbers we push higher up the pitch. On occasion we’ve seen the striker drop 10-15 yards to offer an out ball but that didn’t happen too much tonight. Hold up play isn’t Daka’s forte at all. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nod.E said:

You've got it bang on. 

We are at our best - when this happens (Winks pinpointed) and we choose the Plan B to distribute more to the wingers. Fatawu getting suspended has cut this off a little bit. Works even better than you then have Wilf and KDH bombing on in the channels. 

This is from Pep Lijnders, Klopp's assistant. One thing I really want to note from this is that they coached the same style of play and principles since day one till this match, which was on their way to winning the Champions League.

"We have one way to play and we only play that way"

"We practised these principles for 4 YEARS, that's why we got so good at it"

Stoke were laughably bad today, and will write-up why we slaughtered them in just a bit. But look at the progression of the team from game 1 to game 30. From minute 1 to minute 95 that game was under complete and utter control, and at no time did it look like we would leave with anything other than 3 points and a hatful of goals. One striker scored 2 goals, we put another one on, and that striker scored 2 goals. McAteer played "out of position" and scored, JJ came on as a winger and assisted.

Practice makes perfect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/02/2024 at 23:13, StriderHiryu said:

This is from Pep Lijnders, Klopp's assistant. One thing I really want to note from this is that they coached the same style of play and principles since day one till this match, which was on their way to winning the Champions League.

"We have one way to play and we only play that way"

"We practised these principles for 4 YEARS, that's why we got so good at it"

Stoke were laughably bad today, and will write-up why we slaughtered them in just a bit. But look at the progression of the team from game 1 to game 30. From minute 1 to minute 95 that game was under complete and utter control, and at no time did it look like we would leave with anything other than 3 points and a hatful of goals. One striker scored 2 goals, we put another one on, and that striker scored 2 goals. McAteer played "out of position" and scored, JJ came on as a winger and assisted.

Practice makes perfect!

Yeah but Enzo doesn't have a Plan B. 

• Haha 2

We're getting a few more penalties in recent weeks, obviously a good thing!

5 in the last 5 games.

Coincidence? Chance? Opportunity?

Or are we playing higher, getting into the box more often, driving into the box more often, giving ourselves more chance and opportunities?

• Like 2