Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

I've heard from Blades and Man City fans that Doyle struggles defensively. The more I see him play, the more I think that is true. I think it stems from a lack of pace, that leaves his susceptible in the system we play. The team looks way more stable with JJ in it.

He is good on the ball, but think he will need a lot of adjustment in the Premier League.

Teams definitely target getting in behind him

That long ago I can't really remember if it was a problem before his injury but it definitely has been an issue since he came back

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I've heard from Blades and Man City fans that Doyle struggles defensively. The more I see him play, the more I think that is true. I think it stems from a lack of pace, that leaves his susceptible in the system we play. The team looks way more stable with JJ in it.

He is good on the ball, but think he will need a lot of adjustment in the Premier League.

You've been talking about the wrong Doyle with Blades fans mate

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

No surprise we have been scouting a number of left footed CBs.

8 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

You've been talking about the wrong Doyle with Blades fans mate

Maybe they are salty because they didn't get him in the summer! He was at Coventry last season, but can't say I know too many Cov fans. Two of my mates are Blades fans who saw him in action last season and said this, but would be better to have the opinions of Coventry fans on him for sure.

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

No surprise we have been scouting a number of left footed CBs.

To be fair, he probably wants cover in that department. Being naturally left-footed means you have the ability to play the ball first time when it comes to play out of pressure. It will be interesting to see if he's still here next season though.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I can't really remember if it was a problem before his injury

I can't remember detail, but I can 100% remember pleading for JJs pace and his 1-on-1 defensive skills at the time..

I also remember at Huddersfield him being caught flat footed for a header (but Vesty got the blame on here, as he was still persona non grata at the time) and chickened a tackle at Southampton that led to them scoring. 

I think he may have been involved in a poor defensive display at Blackburn too.

I've been harsh on him on here. But it's because he's a loanee. I don't like our team suffering for someone else's gain. If he was ours, I think he'd have a very steady future, thought the lack of pace probs means he'll always need players picked around him to compensate 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

We've been trying to play this way the entire season, it's just that the team is getting better and better at it with every week that passes. The team has a 5-5 structure, 5 to defend, 5 to attack. For that glorious second goal, we had 5 men in the box. But what you've said is true, that's why the attack looks so much more incisive.

I would say one of the biggest reasons has been Patson Daka. His pace and workrate makes the high press a LOT more deadly. Take his goals / misses out of the equation and look at everything else he is doing. He's making the attack click.

Let's all admire peak Enzoball in action. What a team goal!

This is how I remember the game being played when Y6 played Y1 at primary school 

Off-topic but relevant to tactics, Xabi Alonso turning the Bundesliga on it's head!

Not a single highlight of Bayern Munich in this highlights reel. Some of the stuff Alonso has his team playing is pure swagger. Nathan Tella who ripped up the Championship with Burnley last season is in their team by the way!

For me it's why having an exciting and upcoming new manager is the way to go. Yes it can go wrong, but the ceiling is so high for what can be achieved.

I look forwards to the Leverkusen vs Leicester Champions League final in 2 years time :ph34r:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Teams definitely target getting in behind him

That long ago I can't really remember if it was a problem before his injury but it definitely has been an issue since he came back

I think this is a bit harsh - JJ had very little to do at left back and only really picked up his attacking game when he moved to the right.

Whereas Doyle came on just as watford got the goal and came out all guns blazing. 

It's hardly a fair comparison

53 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I can't remember detail, but I can 100% remember pleading for JJs pace and his 1-on-1 defensive skills at the time..

I also remember at Huddersfield him being caught flat footed for a header (but Vesty got the blame on here, as he was still persona non grata at the time) and chickened a tackle at Southampton that led to them scoring. 

I think he may have been involved in a poor defensive display at Blackburn too.

I've been harsh on him on here. But it's because he's a loanee. I don't like our team suffering for someone else's gain. If he was ours, I think he'd have a very steady future, thought the lack of pace probs means he'll always need players picked around him to compensate 

There is a tendency on here (not saying from you, just generally) to completely overlook the fact that JJ gets done for pace fairly regularly - granted he's quicker than doyle but either he's not as quick as he looks or something to do with his reading of the game, but i've seen several wingers get past him pretty easily this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

There is a tendency on here (not saying from you, just generally) to completely overlook the fact that JJ gets done for pace fairly regularly - granted he's quicker than doyle but either he's not as quick as he looks or something to do with his reading of the game, but i've seen several wingers get past him pretty easily this year.

Doyle still gets dribbled past more often than Justin does

Justin doesn't lose the ball as much as Doyle does either

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The ACL wouldn’t have helped his development either . Enzo sees him as an important component and as has been said will make adjustments to help him with his defensive duties 

18 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

While I agree that JJs pace isn't Kyle walker level, I disagree he's been beaten by wingers. I can count on one hand how many times he's been skinned (in fact, I think only once I can remember a sub came on for someone like Brum and he got done) ...today was a good example, there was a play first half a winger feigned to cross three or four times (did well) but couldn't get the extra room to make the cross as JJ matched each twist/turn. 

Defensively JJ is absolutely sound

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Doyle still gets dribbled past more often than Justin does

Justin doesn't lose the ball as much as Doyle does either

Not denying that.  I just feel that Justin's weaknesses are glossed over, whilst Doyle's are over-exaggerated.

looking deeper.....

according to whoscored - justin is dribbled past 0.6 times per game, doyle 0.8 - not a lot in it, and neither is particularly bad - I guess they both could be better but neither are that bad.

FWIW,  justin is dispossessed 0.1 per game, doyle 0.3  - neither of which is that high, and possibly the difference a result of doyle being a lot more adventurous on the ball than justin (he attempts four times as many dribbles per game as justin - only five players attempt more); justin also has a slightly higher number of unsuccessful touches per game (not by much and neither are bad).

Personally, i don't think either of them are at a standard that we need them to be, but i'd rather we stuck with doyle, seeing as he's 5 years younger than justin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

While I agree that JJs pace isn't Kyle walker level, I disagree he's been beaten by wingers. I can count on one hand how many times he's been skinned (in fact, I think only once I can remember a sub came on for someone like Brum and he got done) ...today was a good example, there was a play first half a winger feigned to cross three or four times (did well) but couldn't get the extra room to make the cross as JJ matched each twist/turn. 

Defensively JJ is absolutely sound

Sure, but that's not good enough - he's a squad player, he's not a bad defender and he's not bad going forward, but he excels at neither.

If he were doyle's age playing the way he does, there'd be reason for optimism, but he's nearly 26 - he's older than Faes! - is he really going to get to the level he seemed he might, especially as he doesn't really fit in enzo's system - i can't see it.

Great pro, nice guy, but he's not the future.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

Not denying that.  I just feel that Justin's weaknesses are glossed over, whilst Doyle's are over-exaggerated.

looking deeper.....

according to whoscored - justin is dribbled past 0.6 times per game, doyle 0.8 - not a lot in it, and neither is particularly bad - I guess they both could be better but neither are that bad.

FWIW,  justin is dispossessed 0.1 per game, doyle 0.3  - neither of which is that high, and possibly the difference a result of doyle being a lot more adventurous on the ball than justin (he attempts four times as many dribbles per game as justin - only five players attempt more); justin also has a slightly higher number of unsuccessful touches per game (not by much and neither are bad).

Personally, i don't think either of them are at a standard that we need them to be, but i'd rather we stuck with doyle, seeing as he's 5 years younger than justin.

But Doyle isn't even our player so why does it really matter how much younger he is?

If it was Nelson I would understand but so far based on this season I wouldn't be happy with spending the £10m+ it is likely going to cost us to get Doyle

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

But Doyle isn't even our player so why does it really matter how much younger he is?

If it was Nelson I would understand but so far based on this season I wouldn't be happy with spending the £10m+ it is likely going to cost us to get Doyle

Tbf though, I’m not sure we’ll get a much better back-up to JJ for that sort of price that has the attributes and potential  to play in our system like Doyle has. 

Could easily see him going on to be a good Premier League player as he develops. £10-15m wouldn’t be a lot at all for him.