Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

I've had alot on this weekend which has put things into perspective, but i'm not sure what's wrong my thinking - normally i'd be going shit crazy about the goal we conceded and how/why we conceded it but I feel quite indifferent about it. lol 

I'll be back no doubt. :ph34r: :doh:lol 

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I find it absolutely staggering how many people don't get it. It's majestic.

When they 'bite' and get drawn forward, if you can get the ball through the lines the amount of space you end up with is ridiculous. I also love watching it when it doesn't quite come off, because you know whats likely coming......

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

You’re not speaking for other people are you? Just asking for a friend 🤣🤣

I know you're kidding, but I am quite clearly speaking on my own behalf. No use of the assumptive 'we', please note. 

I await jokes about assumptive weeing... 

31 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I find it absolutely staggering how many people don't get it. It's majestic.

It's superb. And it's not easy to defend the people who don't get it, but - in their defence we don't do that every single time we have the ball... 

It's just that the English football way has always been kick and rush, hit and hope, big man up front, get it in the mixer. It's very deeply ingrained. And so if you're not doing all that it feels like you're not really trying!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BertFill said:

It's superb. And it's not easy to defend the people who don't get it, but - in their defence we don't do that every single time we have the ball... 

It's just that the English football way has always been kick and rush, hit and hope, big man up front, get it in the mixer. It's very deeply ingrained. And so if you're not doing all that it feels like you're not really trying!

Totally agree with this. I also feel that we sometimes fail to exploit obvious spaces our build up play has created and that too causes frustration. In general our play is awesome, so it’s more of a learning curve and also better players will see these openings more clearly, IF we can afford any. 

Edited by ARM1968

16 hours ago, moore_94 said:

But Doyle isn't even our player so why does it really matter how much younger he is?

If it was Nelson I would understand but so far based on this season I wouldn't be happy with spending the £10m+ it is likely going to cost us to get Doyle

Just going on the fairly strong reports that we already tried to buy him in the summer and that he is enzo's top boy so more than likely we'll return for him in the summer.

2 hours ago, BertFill said:

That's not really a very strong argument because we actually do it a LOT, it's just we're not always the best at finishing these moves off - that's really what the problem is - if it can be classed as a problem, certainly we could be better, we've wasted many such attacks where we have a big overload.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

That's not really a very strong argument because we actually do it a LOT, it's just we're not always the best at finishing these moves off - that's really what the problem is - if it can be classed as a problem, certainly we could be better, we've wasted many such attacks where we have a big overload.

Well I did say it's not easy to defend the people who don't get it...

• Like 1

The thing that frustrates me is the apparent messing about passing at the back when we are 1-0 up and being pressed. Yesterday was prime of example of how we should do it and sometimes I feel we aren’t comfortable enough to take that risk (winks pass to break the line) and go safe until we are squeezed into an error and therefore puts pressure on us when we should be in total control. Second goal yesterday is one of the best coached moves I’ve ever seen us score. Long may that continue. 

I can see why people get anxious when we are passing around at the back, not making progress up the field, with the opponents increasing their intensity, getting ever closer to stealing the ball, intercepting the increasingly  more desperate seeming passing.

This is the point though isn’t it? To get get them close, get them near our box in numbers, then spring the trap, the overloads are on, a goal ever more likely.

As in football, as in life, buttock clenching discomfort leads to sweet sweet relief.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lesta2014 said:

The thing that frustrates me is the apparent messing about passing at the back when we are 1-0 up and being pressed. Yesterday was prime of example of how we should do it and sometimes I feel we aren’t comfortable enough to take that risk (winks pass to break the line) and go safe until we are squeezed into an error and therefore puts pressure on us when we should be in total control. Second goal yesterday is one of the best coached moves I’ve ever seen us score. Long may that continue. 

You also have to understand, that presumed open space is not the line breaker,so it

will get recycled back,to start again,and because there is also an opposition that can also think

One waits, the probing,pressing,retire,recycle, is always on going,finding that trigger is not always immediate,or just based on moving those extra yards forwards,often

falls down or through empty alleys.

Thats why I like to see the occasional drives from

Faes ,Vestergaard or deep lying FB..

17 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Totally agree with this. I also feel that we sometimes fail to exploit obvious spaces our build up play has created and that too causes frustration. In general our play is awesome, so it’s more of a learning curve and also better players will see these openings more clearly, IF we can afford any. 

Hopefully, that gets better with experience and better decision-making

There was one occasion on Saturday when Daka dropped deep to get a pass from Hermansen, did a great turn to get past his man then played a good pass to put Dewsbury Hall through.

Dewsbury Hall took the ball forward drawing three defenders around him.

He moved the ball to his left a hit a long shot high and wide under pressure however Ricardo was in space to his right and Fatawu was in ten yards of space in front of the goal.

A pass to Fatawu or Ricardo and then Fatawu and it would have been an even better goal than our second.

Have a look at the replay if you get a chance.

• Like 1

It’s the team we play against that make it seem dull and boring at times.

They just sit in and don’t do anything other than a low block. It about patience and sometimes people just don’t have that.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, teblin said:

It’s the team we play against that make it seem dull and boring at times.

They just sit in and don’t do anything other than a low block. It about patience and sometimes people just don’t have that.

Yeah, some teams take longer to bite, but they all do eventually.

Remember how we used to struggle against any team that played a low block against us at home ?

the way we now play means that we don’t just play side to side across the back thirty yards from our goal and then back from the full backs into the centre backs to do the same.  That does nothing to upset the opposition low block 

we move the ball around up and down - that moves the opposition around, we work it back to mads - that draws them forwards a bit and the theory is to make the pitch big which creates spaces for two on ones to bear fruit.  Yes it’s often a struggle to watch - but you can see that it’s part of a plan. if we go up then next season will be a lot more interesting as opponents won’t  have that respect for us and could be quite a ride! 

• Like 2